F-2 came in!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have me envious. I am sitting in Mid Ohio and it is more uncomfortable than I'd like to even swing a coil at the moment.

OP
OP
S

Shep63

Greenie
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It gets cold here too but not for long periods.We had high 20s at night a couple days ago.50s in the day but the wind has been killer.The cold is Jan-mid March.I don't like cold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't know all the detectors and models I first thought you were talking about a tornado! I got a Tesoro Tiger Shark yesterday.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are going to love that machine!:thumbsup:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why does nobody detect in the cold? I've been watching a guy on you tube. Keithie6 goes out in -40F. He goes to the playgrounds mind ya, but I'd bet there would be areas to hit. It beats staying at home.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in the cold beats being inside wishing to be out detecting. Detecting in -40 could be life threatening if one is not very careful, even a tiny mistake can lead to frostbite and that is NOT fun! Also, I'd think the batteries would need to be kept right next to the body as at any temperature below what the batteries are supposed to function in they will discharge quickly under load. And being from Michigan, having a snow laden or ice covered branch of any size break off and 'clonk' a person in the head just as you've pinpointed the target could at minimum disturb the outcome of the day..........63bkpkr

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't know there were machines rated to temps below 0 degrees on the market. I know my X-terra 70 isn't.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's created a wrap that goes around cables and unit. Then puts in hand warmers to keep unit operational. He of course is wrapped up as well. You don't hear teeth chattering as he's detecting. I enjoy watching his videos. Just glad I'm not out in that. I'm going out tomorrow and it'll be 40-50.

OP
OP
S

Shep63

Greenie
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What does he dig with?A torch?LOL He is a die hard for sure.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does nobody detect in the cold? I've been watching a guy on you tube. Keithie6 goes out in -40F. He goes to the playgrounds mind ya, but I'd bet there would be areas to hit. It beats staying at home.

In the middle of a Minnesota winter, it's not the cold, it's the snow and frozen ground that stops detecting. Got to detect once though when the plows buried my ice chopper. Put batteries in the Xterra and found that puppy in less than a minute. Then I spent twenty digging it out of the snow.

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
Where do you live having such wonderful weather? I live in N.E. Tx and my hands froze today digging in the wet sand at lake Lewisville.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out since Dec 6th, my wife had shoulder surgery and i had to stay in for about 10 days then it was cold and had some snow. the only good day we had i went camping with my grandson. I hope to get out this weekend the weather will be back in the 40's. Was to cold the past few days in the St Louis area.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tell ya what. I went up north to detect some with my son and our new toys. Some snow on the ground and it was around upper 40s low 50s. Ground was hard to dig and hands were cold. Granted I didn't have gloves. My next outing I'm hunting nuggets. I'll take my gloves then.

The guy keithie6 normally finds his items in the surface ice just below the snow.
Check out his YouTube videos. I guess cabin fever applies to people in Alaska. I'd have to get out and do something as well. Lol

OP
OP
S

Shep63

Greenie
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I learned that too.Now my gloves are in my equipment bag.Never leave home without them!LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread