63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends, what do you want to search for, do you have the funds for a better machine?...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
baseballer

baseballer

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2012
What other machine are you referring to? All the reviews I have read talk real highly of both the ace 250 and 350.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those are what your wanting I would say get the 350 but would be better to save a lil bit more and get the at pro

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sonofadigger said:
If those are what your wanting I would say get the 350 but would be better to save a lil bit more and get the at pro

Agreed

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 has a DD coil (a little more depth) and a bit higher frequency than the 250, thus a tad more sensitive to small gold. I would choose the 350 over the 250. Once you get hooked on the hobby you can save up for the AT Pro. My two cents....

OP
OP
baseballer

baseballer

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for the input I have two sons so it want be long and ill be buying another MD maybe I will get the AT pro then.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are only 2 differences between the Ace 250/350

#1 - The coils as you mentioned

#2 - A $100 higher price-tag for the 350

Go with the 250 and buy a larger coil with the $100

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For relic hunting, the better you can control the iron discrimination, the more good targets. Of course the AT series has the hi-resolution iron discrimination. Many times I have dug targets with a nail right next to it. That's what the hi-res can do for you. Perfect for relic hunting. I think the 350 has more than the 250 if I recall correctly.

Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They market them as 2 different machines , I went for the 350 because I wanted the DD, it supposedly runs on a different frequency, and I found a great deal on Amazon for the 2 coil package for 339 I think they listed it wrong and were forced to sell it to me at that price when I bought it... As far as iron discrimination I'm still pulling nails that ring up as dimes but then again I've watched videos on youtube of people with ETRAC's pulling junk out of the ground after getting a great signal..Zinc pennies make the machine scream,Bottle caps ring up as 50c Dollar pcs so you will be digging junk regardless, I went into this hobby thinking that the machines do alot more then they do and unfortunately the manufacteruers lead you to believe they do so my recommendation is to buy what you can afford and be prepared to dig junk, With that said I only have maybe 30 hours on the 350 all of which are my total metal detecting experience and there are alot of people on this forum more qualified then myself at anwsering this question for you I'm just trying to give you a newbies prospective...

Last edited:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the differences between the Ace250 and the Ace 350

The Ace 350 runs on 8.25kHz. (better to detect gold) also Enhanced Iron Resolution™: allows more control of iron discrimination levels; helps separate good targets from adjacent junk iron.
It has the DD coil.
Plus it comes with headphones.

The Ace 250 runs on 6.5kHz with a concentric coil.

Here is why:
DD Coil vs Concentric Search Coils - Hollands Brook
Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work
View attachment 648642

This is copied right from Garrett's website:
I highlighted in blue the new features over the 250

Garrett Hobby Division
ACE™ 250 Metal Detector
Product No: 1139070.....MSRP: $249.95
Key Features

•Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery

•Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns

•Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own

•Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth

•Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually

•Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available

•Expanded Target ID Legend: easy-to-read above large LCD screen

•Pushbutton Controls: with One-Touch operation

•Other features: 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable
arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.
Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 5 plus electronic pinpointing

•All Metal (Zero)
•Jewelry
•Custom
•Relics
•Coins
•Pinpoint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACE™ 350 Metal Detector
Product No. 1140260.....MSRP: $349.95 (U.S.)
Key Features

•.Enhanced Iron Resolution™: allows more control of iron discrimination levels; helps separate good targets from adjacent junk iron

Powerful new Double-D searchcoil: provides greater detection depth and performance in mineralized grounds and excellent scanning coverage.

•Higher Frequency: offers improved ability to detect both small (i.e. small gold nuggets) and large targets

•Volume Control Headphones: included with purchase

•Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery

•Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns

•Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own

•Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth

•Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually

•Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available

•Other features: One-Touch operation; 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.
Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 5 plus electronic pinpointing

•All Metal (Zero)
•Jewelry
•Custom
•Relics
•Coins
•Pinpoint

If you go with the Ace 350 2 coil special you get the added 5x8 DD coil which is used for high trash and tight spots like the Sniper coil but with greater ground depth than the sniper.

Bart at Big boys Hobbies (forum sponsor) has the Ace 350 with a Lesche digger for $297. here's the site: Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector | Big Boys Hobbies
If you call him and tell him you are a forum member and tell him you don't want the Lesche I'll bet the price will be pretty close to the Internet price of the 250.
Believe me I have dealt with him many times over the phone and he always answers and is pleasant to talk to and very informative. He also doesn't charge shipping so the price he quotes is the price you pay.
I definitely suggest you ask him about a price on the Ace350 2 coil deal for a couple bucks more you will have both the DD coils which is way cheaper than buying seperately later. Here is his website suggested price:
http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/garrett-ace-350-2-coil-spring-special/
But once again,you must call him for a price. :thumbsup:

Good luck & happy hunting

Last edited:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dig junk regardless of what machine you are using I bought a 250 and 350 for gift this year and son-in-law wasn't interested in the 350 he says he has no time to metal detect. So I am keeping the 350. Merry Christmas to me.lol The 350 has way more features than the 250, the coils awsome. I once owned a garrett 2500 imageing detector that was suppose to tell you what it was in the ground before digging, it was 50/50 with that machine and anyother machine you buy. The only way to truely get rid of the junk is running in high discrimination on your machine. It knocks out everything except silver coins, Meaning you will also loos the gold in the ground. Myself I prefer the run with no descrimination and to Dig everything. HH and good luck.If you wanna spend a little more money I have a X-TERRA 705 posted for 570..brand new less than 30 hours on it. Way better than the 2 machines your looking at but That is my Opinion everyone has an Opinion

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 350...then go for the AT PRO..Good luck..HH....or just get 2 AT PRO's

TWP700

Dec 13, 2012
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
xt305
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They market them as 2 different machines , I went for the 350 because I wanted the DD, it supposedly runs on a different frequency, and I found a great deal on Amazon for the 2 coil package for 339 I think they listed it wrong and were forced to sell it to me at that price when I bought it... As far as iron discrimination I'm still pulling nails that ring up as dimes but then again I've watched videos on youtube of people with ETRAC's pulling junk out of the ground after getting a great signal..Zinc pennies make the machine scream,Bottle caps ring up as 50c Dollar pcs so you will be digging junk regardless, I went into this hobby thinking that the machines do alot more then they do and unfortunately the manufacteruers lead you to believe they do so my recommendation is to buy what you can afford and be prepared to dig junk, With that said I only have maybe 30 hours on the 350 all of which are my total metal detecting experience and there are alot of people on this forum more qualified then myself at anwsering this question for you I'm just trying to give you a newbies prospective...
I here ya and agree,think that manufactures/dealers should be held too a code of ethics(persay). By marketing these MD's as how they honestly function, at least use disclaimers explaining the weaknesses they may have according too the diff. soil conditions,emi,that junk reads as coins ect..

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would wait and buy the AT Pro you will anyway after 3 or 4 months

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait and buy the AT Pro you will anyway after 3 or 4 months

I gotta admit, that's exactly what happened to me!
I think I only lasted about 2 months till I got The AT-Pro.
I started going to the beach with the Ace and wanted to get in the wet sand and surf where all the gold rings are.
So I wound up calling Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and he hooked me up with a great deal on an AT-Pro 2 coil package that I couldn't refuse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread