I found this on a remote beach in the Caribean

Dec 18, 2012
I found this on a remote beach in the Caribean with a metal detector. My first time. It's about 5ft length, 1.5 width, 1.5 deep. Couldn't get it out due to time constraints but I will be going back with proper digging and wench equipment. Its made of iron or steel. looks quite old. Does anyone know what this might be? To me, it looks like a treasure chest. Maybe wishful thinking.

Attachments

• image-2247980723.jpg
    image-2247980723.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • image-977795793.jpg
    image-977795793.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,289
Upvote 0
OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
Jason in Enid said:
Didn't they used to cage the pirates like that and hang them out in public for a slow death?

Interesting. But the inside was empty. Doubt a body w any bones would have all sunk but maybe. That'd be crazy though.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When will you go back to finish (re-start) digging?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking a coffin. Lol. Not really. Get back and pull it out. Careful of body parts. :@

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I'd call it "good" to find stuff in a casket.....interesting.....maybe, but a little to gruesome for good! :tongue1:

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well congrats on your find, and will be waiting to hear more in Jan. Happy new Year, and Happy Hunting!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if I'd call it "good" to find stuff in a casket.....interesting.....maybe, but a little to gruesome for good! :tongue1:
...Any thing that might put a ..$buck$...in my bank account is "GOOD "

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey. Gold teeth look like nuggets. Just don't put in mouth to clean it. I've seen others take nuggets out of ground and do that. Is that risky?

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I found this near St. Thomas while I was there on a cruise. Picture 242.jpg The Northern Star yacht. It is for sale.$129,000,000 or you can rent it for a week for $650,000

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It really does look like a chest. Who's to say it was full when brought over by skiff if that's how it got there. Maybe it was dug up repeatedly and filled slowly over time. Someone could have lived where it is located. Could have been a underground storage for goodies and didn't have to move. Like taking money to the bank slowly outing in more as you get it.
You just never know and have to keep an open mind. Look at the Anglo Saxon hoard. No one knows why,but it was there!
One thing for sure is it deserves to be investigated and upon removing it I'd be sure to detect and dig under it after it has been removed as you could be 12 more inches away from uncovering its contents!
Good luck and always keep an open mind! Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
lost items recovery said:
It really does look like a chest. Who's to say it was full when brought over by skiff if that's how it got there. Maybe it was dug up repeatedly and filled slowly over time. Someone could have lived where it is located. Could have been a underground storage for goodies and didn't have to move. Like taking money to the bank slowly outing in more as you get it.
You just never know and have to keep an open mind. Look at the Anglo Saxon hoard. No one knows why,but it was there!
One thing for sure is it deserves to be investigated and upon removing it I'd be sure to detect and dig under it after it has been removed as you could be 12 more inches away from uncovering its contents!
Good luck and always keep an open mind! Please keep us posted.

Yeah. Can't wait to go back to dig it back up. And to me, it totally looks like a chest. Fingers crossed.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you getting back to the chest of dreams?

Waiting patiently to hear. Tic toc tic toc.
Hopefully something good comes out.

OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
GarretDiggingAz said:
When you getting back to the chest of dreams?

Waiting patiently to hear. Tic toc tic toc.
Hopefully something good comes out.

Very soon. I'm taking my 17 year old with me and need to coordinate HS schedule.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions