I found this on a remote beach in the Caribean

Dec 18, 2012
I found this on a remote beach in the Caribean with a metal detector. My first time. It's about 5ft length, 1.5 width, 1.5 deep. Couldn't get it out due to time constraints but I will be going back with proper digging and wench equipment. Its made of iron or steel. looks quite old. Does anyone know what this might be? To me, it looks like a treasure chest. Maybe wishful thinking.

Attachments

• image-2247980723.jpg
    image-2247980723.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • image-977795793.jpg
    image-977795793.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,289
Upvote 0

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not a chest maybe part of a hinge of some sort that pcs. a ship together .[support corner ] it might have had wood on it and floated a shore . Me i would have dug it up at this point .

S

stefen

Unfortunately I was being bitten alive and wound up with 600 sand flee and mosquito bites, didn't have the right tools and had to leave. Ill update you soon. Trying to go back and see. I agree the straps seem wide for a chest but they were all hand made so you never know how someone designed it back then. Either way, the curiosity is killing me so I have to know soon

Rather than depending on the anal-pics of the multitude, hoping for a glimmer of reality, I'd be tempted to dig that sucker up and know I'd really found something significant, or was just helping clean the local beach environment...

Any one of the recommendations make sense...treasure to trash...

The curiosity is killing me too...:occasion14:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you do not seem to be very excited about this....... I would have been there digging it up with my bare hands if i had to................... I could never walk away from that for the amount of time you have........

OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
Keppy said:
Man you do not seem to be very excited about this....... I would have been there digging it up with my bare hands if i had to................... I could never walk away from that for the amount of time you have........

Well, my fingers were raw after digging for 2 hours and I came home with 600 sand flea bites. I unfortunately had to take a ferry back and fly back to California. Son, school, work etc. ill be back soon, trust me.

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a casket of some kind? From the size and shape it looks like its casket shaped.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the consensus, but could be some kinda cooker. I think someone posted. We have to wait till he goes back.
Is there an ETA?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you're most likely right. But I have the bug in me now. Lol. And I have to know for sure. It's actually probably about 4 ft by 1.25 wide and maybe 1.5 feet deep . But I gotta know. It's driving me nuts. Ha

too narrow for a casket even a childs

good luck :thumbsup:

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to only check this forum once a week instead of once a day because that "chest" has got my brain-a-bubblin'. Dig it already before the anxiety forces me to read your mind and learn the whereabouts myself lolol.
I hope that you have the best time with your son and that you guys have a life changing gold filled experience together. Wouldn't it be crazy if it was a casket and you guys opened it up together only to find some raggidy bones with a rolled map neatly held inside 2 boney hands. Man that'd be an adventure!!!!! X marks the spot!!!

OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
LinkHylian said:
I have to only check this forum once a week instead of once a day because that "chest" has got my brain-a-bubblin'. Dig it already before the anxiety forces me to read your mind and learn the whereabouts myself lolol.
I hope that you have the best time with your son and that you guys have a life changing gold filled experience together. Wouldn't it be crazy if it was a casket and you guys opened it up together only to find some raggidy bones with a rolled map neatly held inside 2 boney hands. Man that'd be an adventure!!!!! X marks the spot!!!

May have to go In feb. ugh

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is AWESOME!! I don't care what it is.

What ever it is looks like it burned at one time with all the black chuncks around it??

I HOPE you marked the spot on your map so you can find it again? or got the GPS cords??

anyway awesome find:thumbsup: and yes I will be waiting as well:occasion14:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what were the black "rocks"? Charcoal, Coal, or rocks? Were they in other places, or just around your "casket"? That should give you a clue, as to what it was used for.

OP
OP
desertcalling@yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
maipenrai said:
So what were the black "rocks"? Charcoal, Coal, or rocks? Were they in other places, or just around your "casket"? That should give you a clue, as to what it was used for.

The rocks were everywhere on the beach.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I found it you would see where I stuck my arm in as far as I could.
My motto is ' ya gotta go deep'

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat. As with most of the others, i'm VERY interested to see how this turns out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread