Metal Detecting in Hawaii? How to get the detectors their cheaply?

1Beachnut

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
Hello All

My wife & I love to metal detect our many beaches around Pismo Beach, CA and have also detected the east coast on vacations. We are slated to go to Hawaii for 3 weeks in January and could sure use some input. A friend who also detects around here told me that the "locals" in Hawaii, can get SERIOUSLY territorial and can become hostile to the point of violence if you are found detecting "Their" beach. Even to the point of slashed tires or stolen equipment. Is that true? Has anyone had any bad experiences taking your detectors to Hawaii? We have Minelab Excal, & Sovereign Detectors, and don't want any big hassle, or worse, to loose our equipment.

2ndly How do you get your equipment their "Cheaply"? We plan on taking the electronic detector parts in our carry on bags for safety & I just bought a plastic hard sided "golf club bag" that can go on the airline for the sand scoops, coils, and the rest. But per Hawaiian airlines rules, If this hard sided golf bag case were full of golf clubs, it would be treated as such, and only incur the usual extra suitcase fee, ($35). Yet, if you declare it to be something other than golf clubs in the case, they charge you for the linear inches of the bag, (79") which is an additional $100.00 per flight, and we have 3 flights in this trip. (CA to Maui, to Kaui, back to CA). So, $35.00 for the "2nd bag fee", then $100 if they discover them to be detectors and not golf clubs = $405.00 to take them. (Won't they x ray the bag?) When we took our detectors to the east coast we shipped UPS, but to ship this case to Hawaii for our 3 legged trip was a huge $654.67 estimate!

Depending on the answers to the first question, we may just leave the detectors at home, save the potential $405, and return the hard sided golf club case to the store... I hope someone has some positive idea's.

Thank You

1Beachnut

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help with #1, but I have never heard of it before.

#2, just take them down and put them in a suitcase. As for the scoops, that's what travel-handle scoops are made for.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's what I do....

OP
OP

1Beachnut

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
When I bought my sand scoops, I did buy the travel handle ones, where you can break the handle down into two parts for traveling. Its not the scoops that are the problem, but the detector rods for the Minelab Excal, and especially the sovereign. The Sovereign rod is 32" long, broken down, which is too long to fit in a case, diagonally, with 2 sand scoops broken down, & another detector in there, too. With the golf club case, the scoops, and detectors fit right in, no breaking down except taking the big SEF coil off. A fellow detector friend emailed me and said, "Throw a putter, and a driver in the golf case with the metal detectors,, then if they ask, you simply say, yes, my clubs are in there. If they ask what the detectors are for, tell them it's cause I am such a BAD GOLFER that when I throw my clubs, I use the detectors to find the club with, its all part of my golf gear!!":laughing7: I think it is a GREAT IDEA and will try it. I mean really, a case is a case, and if it weighs less than 50 pounds what do they care what is in it, or not!!!

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay at the bigger beaches on the West side of Hawaii ...I used to live there.......DO NOT GO ON SMALL BEACHES ON THE EAST SIDE.......TROUBLE WILL OCCUR
And remember detecting is not allowed anywhere in Hawaii except the beaches........DO NOT FORGET THIS OR YOU WILL NOT BE COMING HOME WITH YOUR MACHINE
Good Luck hint go to West side beaches North of Kona near the big hotels......good luck

OP
OP

1Beachnut

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
Stay at the bigger beaches on the West side of Hawaii ...I used to live there.......DO NOT GO ON SMALL BEACHES ON THE EAST SIDE.......TROUBLE WILL OCCUR
And remember detecting is not allowed anywhere in Hawaii except the beaches........DO NOT FORGET THIS OR YOU WILL NOT BE COMING HOME WITH YOUR MACHINE
Good Luck hint go to West side beaches North of Kona near the big hotels......good luck

Thank you for the reply... But we are going to Maui, and Kaui on this trip... So, your saying, stick to the more popular beaches, right? And You have heard of "Trouble" from locals at some spots?

We leave real SOON!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
huh?

Mortamus, where do you get this information? Where is that written? I know guys that have hunted land sites there (city parks, old plantation buildings turned in to modern spas/resorts, etc...). They've gotten mercs and "the usual", etc... They had no problems.

So what is your source saying that no land detecting is allowed in Hawaii? Perhaps you're confusing state-level laws (for like if there's "Hawaii state parks") with other forms of land: city, county, private, etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread