dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

In about a month or so i will be purchasing a new metal detector, but I"m faced with some tough choices, i live in the u.p of Michigan and i maybe get about roughly six to seven months of detecting time up here do to the long winters, i am looking to get a detector in the 1000 dollar range give or take a couple hunduard bucks. I was looking into three of the mine-lab series, i was thinking of getting a mine-lab safari with a sun ray prob, an explorer SE pro stock or saving up a little longer and getting an e-trac, the ctx is just to expensive lol. all three machines look to be solid on depth but i just wanted to know whats the best machine for the money, ill mostly just be going after deep coins, especially silver, most of the places i hunt seemed to be picked over pretty well with withes detectors so i was looking for a machine with great accurate depth. mostly hunting old parks and wooded areas. this will be the 4th year of detecting for me and i want to get out more than ever. let me know what you guys think. thank you

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure someone will post the minelab hype theory soon, don't listen. The explorer is better the the safari and the etrac is better the explorer. I would buy the best you can afford. Recently had a freind ask me the same question I told him to get the explorer because I could show him how to use it. Well he bought the etrac and was finding silver right away.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
btw,,whats the minelab hype he mentioned?

It's the belief that Minlabs are the end all of detectors and are far superior to any other brand that's out there. That only ML's can find deep targets.

They are fine machines but hardly the second coming they're made out to be.

Didn't like mine at all. Heavy unbalanced weight and the silly long flutly tones drove me nuts!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen someone say they are the end all of detectors. But poster states hes looking for old deep silver coins, after years of watching finds on this and many other forums can anyone say they don't work for that purpose. I own several different detectors for different types of hunting. If I'm going park hunting for silver I'm grabbing my explorer.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two guys I been hunting with have a safari and an etrac. Both are amazing deep finding machines. I dnt know much about the explorer, but either way any choice of the 3 ull be finding old silver with.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention ill be purchasing a safari soon. Love an etrac but unfortunately can't afford one

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang!!! It's always about the money. Lol. I know ill be getting another detector someday. It just depends on how fast my ATG can fill my wallet. But the suggestion of buying what you can afford and are most comfortable with. Is what'll suit you best. Just depends on what you're looking for and the amount willing to spend. I was beating my head on the wall with all the different aspects on detectors. Then figured being a newbie. I didn't need to spend thousands of dollars to get the best. You'll get numerous arguments on, this is the best. I'm always wanting to learn about the detectors out there. That way I'll know which one to get next. Ughhhhh! These toys. Good luck and let us know how you do with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions