digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERES A TIP FROM A LONG TIME DIGGER---LEAVE THE LAWN NICER THEN IT WAS WHEN YOU GOT THERE, CUT NICE PLUGS IN THE GRASS AND PUT THEM BACK PROPERLY, DONT LEAVE YOUR TRASH DIGS, DONT LEAVE TRASH. YOU WILL BE FINE.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What MD are you using? Where are you hunting and what are your settings on your MD? Need more info to help you out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
leoncostelloe, it's going to be extremely difficult for anyone on a text-printed forum like this, to diagnose what you're doing wrong. Because ANY machine, set to "all metal" and "full sensitivity" (as you say) should be able to find REAMS of targets in any given empty lot, park, etc... I mean, at least some nails, foil, modern clad, etc.... The only exception would be if your hunt zone was absolutely sterile (no humans ever went there, nothing ever occured there, etc...), or a relicky site that others plundered the h*ck out of already (but even THEN, they usually don't dig all the iron, so if you were in "all metal", you should have AT LEAST gotten some nails).

So this tells me you're doing something wrong if you found "nothing" (and by "nothing", I assume you meant no targets at all, not just "no coins" etc.., right?).

And since detectors are "sound specific", it's too hard, in printed text, to diagnose what you're doing, what sounds to listen for, how to swing, etc... Because, afterall, "sounds" can not be described in printed text. You know, like if someone tells you to describe the sound of c-minor, in printed text, it can't be done. It has to be heard. Same for how to swing (speed, distance from the ground, wiggling and/or criss-crossing a target, etc...), how to isolate targets, etc. Those things can only be "shown", not read about in printed text. So you'll have to hook up with a proficient user in your area. Trade off flagged signals. Watch how he does it. Listen to what he's listening for, etc.... Start with an area with lots of easy clad (because good hunters don't mess with modern-clad parks). Or yards of 1940s/50s homes (if you have friends/relatives with such yards), that will have ample signals to choose from.

Don't rush out to exotic ruins/relics spots first (even though you probably detest clad like the rest of us), because if you start with hard-worked stingy spots, you will NEVER learn your machine. So start with something flush with clad, turn down the disc, force yourself to dig 1000 signals. There's no skipping this school of hard knocks. And THEN progress up to difficult stingy spots you might be researching.

OP
OP
leoncostelloe

leoncostelloe

Dec 26, 2012
Ok thankyou, you have been VERY VERY helpful I'll do all as instructed again Thankyou!!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a penny, dime, quarter, nail, bottle cap and pc of foil on the ground----spread each out -2 foot apart-go over each item one at a time, remember the sounds and readings on your machine---do this until your comfortable with your machine---you may need to adjust your settings----:thumbsup:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Leoncostelloe!

It can take a while to get accustomed to the sounds of the Ace 150 and what they can tell you.

Do what digging440yrs suggests. It can help to develop your swing speed and your Ear.

Good Luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leon, I would suggest turning down the sensativity (?) to just 2 or 3. I have a 250. I suspect the 150 also has a top of 5. Too much sen will make you hit on EVERYTHING, which could drive you to giving up. As mentioned above, use some "placed" targets to fine tune the machine. Real soon the "light" will go on and you will be doing fine! TTC

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow Terry's Advice and soon you too will be posting treasures........or at least bootlecaps and tabsssssssssss................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread