cant find anything

aarias

Dec 2, 2012
Hang in there brother the misery of not finding anything is made right by one great find. When you say you found nothing, does that mean you found nothing of value?

Tell us about the area, type of detector, ect..

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! A whole hour!

Try one of these.

Adderall
Concerta
Dexedrine
Focalin
Metadate CD/ER
Methylin
Ritalin
Vyvanse
Daytrana

OP
OP
leoncostelloe

leoncostelloe

Dec 26, 2012
I got signals so idug and then there wasmore signals then the signal dissapeared I was in a field that had no grasss and was all clay like mud and I was using a garret ace 150

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon: A metal detector is just what it is... finds metal.. sometimes you might find a coin, or shredded alum can or something like a bread bag tie wire, or some small junk like a bb ... go to a park where there is playground toys.. check there for coins till you know the sounds they make.. or if your in a warm area a beach and check the sand... be sure to check the hole during your digging if the sound has gone away check the last scoop of dirt for the object, and always cover your holes on land and the beach, keeps people from getting mad at ya, and keeps our hobby alive..you wont get rich but mainly just have fun...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You can't just grab a detector and go out and expect to find things. It takes practice. You must learn your detector first. Run air tests on different materials to learn the capability of your detector, then go out and you will know what it is telling you. You have to learn things like if you set the sensitivity to high, you chase false signals. It all takes time. Slow down and enjoy and remember the processes. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~leoncostelloe~
I got signals so idug and then there wasmore signals then the signal dissapeared I was in a field that had no grasss and was all clay like mud and I was using a garret ace 150
Sounds to me like you may have been getting signals from Micro Gold or Micro Silver...Dig into a gold pan or a 5 gallon bucket...Check to see if the signal gets transferred..muddy fields are known for that...When you get a signal kick the spot a few times...Art

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as I once read, you won't find anything that's not there... location location location

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you'll find a virgin field and there won't be anything to find! It's possible the signal you got may be a mineralized patch of ground, that once broken up, doesn't give a signal anymore. More than likely it's what Frankn said about too much sensitivity. Just a change in ground balance or soil type can set it off if the sensitivity is set too high.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patience, persistance & knowing your detector will get you finds!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent an hour metal detecting and I didn't find a single thing!

:-[
..... We all spend hours out there and never find any thing.....That's the way this detecting works out ..... But when you make a nice find then it's worth it....................

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe you might want to try lowering the sens. till you get to know your detector better,false signals often come from trying to run the machine to hot...turn the cell phone off .HH
Gary

Last edited:

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hang in there. Finds will come with time and practice. Part of the fun in this hobby is the research on new places to hunt. Might want to look up metal detector clubs in your area. Going to meetings is something you and your folks can do together. Plus, you may get connected with a club member that can give you some pointers.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, if you have a yard or lawn where you live, or a neighbors yard(with permission, of course) is the best place to start. I will be 71 next month, and averaged over 1,000 coins per month this year......but 41 years experience and being retired helps.....You have a very good detector to begin your adventure.....Slow down, and enjoy the outdoors.....You WILL find coins, rings, and other treasures SOON!!

Happy NEW YEAR......and Happy HUNTING!!

Bill

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of where you live but this is what I do when I try a new machine. Air test coins and junk items to see what sounds and VDI numbers (if a VDI machine) are reported by the detector. Then I take some coins outside and find a clean spot in the grass where I can lay some coins down. This allows me to practice pin-pointing and find "the sweet spot" on the coil where the signal is the strongest. Place a colored sticky dot on top of the coil so you can see where this "sweet spot" is located. Next I go to a school or park playground area (I call them tot lots) where you can search for coins and jewelry by just moving the playground covering (bark, sand or whatever it is) with your foot (no digging required since the targets will be just under the surface). After gaining confidence on what the machine can do, move to a "target rich environment". Parks, soccer fields, school yards; whatever you have and "dig every repeatable signal" until you gain knowledge and experience with your machine. Is there a metal detecting club in your area? If so join one and ask one of the members to guide you. I think its important that anyone considering the purchase of a metal detector check to see if you have a dealer in your town or nearby. I know one of the dealers in my area, Metal Detecting Stuff (a supporting vendor/sponsor of this forum) will often go with a customer and offer "hands on" instruction until the user feels comfortable with their detector.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the clubs in my area have individual and family memberships and would most certainly welcome you and an adult family member into the club. Metal detecting is NOT an exclusive adult activity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread