Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it over and over and over again. Do NOT swing the loop 6" or more off the ground. I was at the beach yesterday and got some nice coins including an 18th century coin. There were other people out, they said they didn't find much. I was watching them and they were swinging their coils were a good 6" off the ground. It doesn't matter how deep the machine will go or how well the discriminator works if you give away 6" all the time. It ain't the machine, it's the operator!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure would like to see the one from the 1700s!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1777 - George III. georgeiii.jpg And a button and brass wedding ring from the same spot. ring.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy: Sweet!!!!!!!!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a copper coin right? Nice find

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's copper. George III, "fat George" as he was sometims referred to by us lowly colonists, has his head facing right. The others I found over the last 3 weeks weren't as nice.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen. I can't bear to watch them. I want to run up, shove their coil to the ground and give them a lesson on the proper way.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN, you go for it! And they detect running along at 20 mph no less! Friday, I walked a straight (sort of) line to an area I found two copper the week before. On the way I found two memorial cents. Almost no signals where I found the previous coins. So I went back to where I found the memorials and found the copper, a piece to a copper brooch and another small piece of very old brass. Everything was in a 10' x 10' area.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN, you go for it! And they detect running along at 20 mph no less! Friday, I walked a straight (sort of) line to an area I found two copper the week before. On the way I found two memorial cents. Almost no signals where I found the previous coins. So I went back to where I found the memorials and found the copper, a piece to a copper brooch and another small piece of very old brass. Everything was in a 10' x 10' area.

Yup, and not only are they lopping along with their coil in the air but they are swinging it like a pendulum so that at the ends of their swing they are more like nine inches in the air. And if they are swinging an expensive machine I nearly have a stroke watching them.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the machines I've sen them use here are Minelab Excaliburs. I use a cheap Tesoro Cibola and so far are running them in circles. Haven't seen anybody with a Minelab dig anything but die cast toys to date.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey: I think swinging the coil six inches above the ground is the second biggest mistake somebody can make. The first biggest mistake somebody can make is not swinging the coil. :) The worst day at the beach is better then the best day at the office.

Crispin

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, Right on! The NEXT worse mistake is not taking spare batteries along with you in the field.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course another biggie is ignoring the "No Trespassing" signs.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, and not only are they lopping along with their coil in the air but they are swinging it like a pendulum so that at the ends of their swing they are more like nine inches in the air. And if they are swinging an expensive machine I nearly have a stroke watching them.
It doesn't bother me a bit. More goodies for me to find!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figure let them make mistakes. You show them after you dig up what they miss. Lol

What signs? I didn't see that big white and red lettered sign.
Paying taxes lets you go wherever. Right?
So many mistakes. So little common sense.
I just hope I learn from others mistakes. Makes hobby more enjoyable anyway.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the same spot New Years Day. One other guy out with a Bounty Hunter. He found nothing but was doing the zip down the beach thing. We tested it with a coin, it definately works, but he was at a disadvantage using a tiny loop. I re-gridded the spot where found some items lat week -50' x 25' and found another 18th century copper and two brass ships nails, plus misc other stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread