Coil help

Carloates88

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone i have a garrett ace 250 with a standard coil it is finding things but i wanna go deeper etc i been looking at new coils and i getting mixed up with nel coils and dd coils can someone please explain or give me advice on what to get

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by etc? Get a better machine first off. ace250 is a toy. Try F5 on for size, or F70, you know, something decent. M6 is good and deep with stock coil. Wanna spend more? Look at Etrac. Wanna save money? Look at larger coils for depth. Good luck to you.

leoncostelloe

Dec 26, 2012
Your a bit rude arent you, saying his metal detector is a toy how is that supposed to make him feel? You should take more consideration for other peoples feelings and for the thread...yeah you. Probably want a new coil see if garret have any better to stay to thesame make =)

Happy hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Double D (DD) coil will give you a bit more depth. They are called DD coils because of the way the coil is wired. Imagine two D's one facing left the other facing right. The space in between the two D's is the detection spot. A narrow strip in the middle of the coil. DD coils offer some more depth than concentric coils and are better at target separation since the detection area is a narrow strip in the middle of the coil. You need to make sure the coil you want to use is suitable to your machine. Check the Garrett website to see what coils are made for your machine. Then look at some of the supporting vendors/sponsors of this forum website's for prices etc. Your Ace250 is a good machine but don't expect it to perform like a top dollar machine just by adding a new larger coil. Will a larger coil offer better depth? Yes but expect just an inch or two as a reasonable expectation.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Double D (DD) coil will give you a bit more depth. They are called DD coils because of the way the coil is wired. Imagine two D's one facing left the other facing right. The space in between the two D's is the detection spot. A narrow strip in the middle of the coil. DD coils offer some more depth than concentric coils and are better at target separation since the detection area is a narrow strip in the middle of the coil. You need to make sure the coil you want to use is suitable to your machine. Check the Garrett website to see what coils are made for your machine. Then look at some of the supporting vendors/sponsors of this forum website's for prices etc. Your Ace250 is a good machine but don't expect it to perform like a top dollar machine just by adding a new larger coil. Will a larger coil offer better depth? Yes but expect just an inch or two as a reasonable expectation.

Mark, the DD coil only gives more depth than a concentric in highly mineralized soil. The concentric way outperforms the DD in mild soils.
Carl, there are pro's and cons to each coil. There is good info on the web and in the forums. It would be in your best interrest to read about the coil options before you make a decision.
You may wish to look into the SEF (Symetrical Electric Field) coil also. Its like a DD (often called OO coil), with a smaller overlap. It claims to have a better compromise between concentric and DD coils.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Carl, If you want to get more depth, you have to upgrade to a higher performance detector. A larger coil will cover more area, but will not go much deeper. Look at it this way, your detector puts out so much signal. If you add a larger coil, you are going to get LESS signal per square inch. It will also mask targets. A standard concentric coil is much better at pinpointing a target than a DD. Hay, I have been using the same coils that came with my detectors for over 40 years and have found just about every kind of target there is at depths of 0 to 6' (with a 2 Box). My current detectors are about 12 years old. Frank

coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread