Springs always pay off.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I just want to drop some quick info on some great hunting grounds that newbes might not know about.
The old watering holes and natural springs are some of the best hunting you can find. But can you find them?
Around here many of the old springs have eather dried up or caved in but by talking to some of the old timers in the area I have been able to locate where they were and a couple by using maps from as far back as the early 1800s where they would be marked as good water hole on a trail and the overlaying the old map with a new but by doing this you need to scale everything as close as you can by using marked creeks and or river crossings and bends from the old maps.
My most recent hunt of an old spring that I was told about where Confederate troops would camp on there way to war and a wagon road leading down to it proved to be true. Although I did not find any Confederate stuff I did find a Union soldiers button a gold cross a 14k gold bull necklace 2 1943 Wheaties and arrowheads along with wagon parts and other stuff lost over time.
So its easy to see the old spring had seen a lot of use in its day.
Oh and sorry to say the arrowhead was on top of the ground I'm still working on that detector.
Good hunting.
red

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread