Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I'm completely new here and looking for some advice. For a long time I've wanted to do treasure hunting and I think I'm finally ready to take that step and buy my first metal detector.

I've been torn between which to get though, I've heard some great reviews about many different ones but I'm looking to settle on one of these two. I understand these may not be what most people would consider good for a new person, as they're a little more complicated and a little more expensive. However I'm the type of person who believes in getting the best I can get at the time so later down the road I'm not left with a sinking feeling going "I wish I had gotten _____ when I had the chance". So I'm looking to step in with good equipment and learn using said good equipment.

I'm a fast learner and have looked over many video's and guides for these two metal detectors and many others so I at least have a base understanding of the stuff. I would like your ideas on which of the following two I should get and maybe warn me of any pitfalls I should be aware of based off YOUR experience when you got started.

My options are....

1) Garrett GTP 1350
2) X-TERRA 705

The Garrett seems to be a pretty good all around detector with a lot of set and forget options and does a lot of the leg work for you (as in pointing out what it could be visually and giving you a visual representation of it's possible size). The X-Terra from what I can tell seems to have a better ground penetration but I'm unsure of what the numbers mean or exactly what the tones for the different types of metals are. I'm assuming the instruction manual will at least give an over view and then I can learn the rest. A lot of video's I've seen show people have tremendously good luck with both of them. So I'm left a bit unsure.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me! I look forward to getting my detector and making my first find, small or large!

Upvote 0

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Explorer Se or E-trac....If you stick with metal detecting........you will buy one!

OP
OP
Streak

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Explorer Se or E-trac....If you stick with metal detecting........you will buy one!

Thank you for your reply! But unfortunately neither of those are in my list of available buys right now. For right now I need to stick with what I can purchase using my Bill Me Later Credit line.

Neither of those brands are offered at the distributor that I'm using right now.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From one newbie to another. I know you probably went crazy with all the comparisons. First ask yourself what kind of hunting you want to do. Relic, coin, or gold. I know Garrett.com home page in one of the tabs breaks down what each is more suited for.
I didn't see prices on units, so check to see if they will work for you. Everybody says a detector doesn't work unless you go over target. Lol
I went with Garrett AT Gold. More for hunting nuggets here in the desert, but it'll also go into water 10'. So I can hit my lakes. Got it for 700+/-.
Try renting these units you're interested in from mining supplier or other places that may have them. That'll definitely help you feel the unit and see if you are comfortable with it. Don't get hung up on numbers and screens. They are nice and give basic info, but you should DIG most beeps until you fully understand tones.
For instance. I passed up on a 32 ID. My son came up behind me the next day. He found it. Dug it. Pulled out a small 2 blade pocket knife. He had Bounty Hunter 505 Pro. 120+/-.
So like I was saying before (sorta) it's not the money but the detectorist. It takes time and practice to get a full understanding. So don't get frustrated when it's beeping all the time and you're pulling up tabs and nails/screws. Lol
Good luck and happy hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, we need to know the kind of detecting you plan to do and your price range.

OP
OP
Streak

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you both GarretDiggingAz and cudamark for your replies! I definitely know what you mean about it beeping all the time I'm played with some lower end metal detectors before and on top of that I'm an Electronics Engineer and electromagnetism has always been kind of a fascination of mine.

Watching a lot of the hunting video's I've been able to start to identify some of the sounds and some of the numbers as I see them on the X-Terra, so watching those videos have definitely helped in some of the understanding.

What I'm looking to do is some coin and relic hunting. From what I've been able to see the X-Terra 705 is pretty good for both with deep ground penetration. Price range pretty much is tapped out at the X-Terra's price point and is all i'm willing to do to start with. As I said earlier I'm having to stick with certain vendors for right now simply because I'm using a specific credit card that can only be used at specific vendors (It's the Bill Me Later Credit line) So, here is the X-Terra 705 on the vendors page (newegg.com) Newegg.com - MineLab X-TERRA 705 Metal Detector w/ 9" Coil 3 YEAR WARRANTY & BOOKLET Priced at $729.00

The Garret is here: Newegg.com - Garrett Metal Detectors GTP 1350 Metal Detector at $594.00 A little cheaper. I've not been able to find as much on the Garret but the few things I have seen show it to be pretty good as well, but watching the videos and reading a few reviews most people still prefer the X-Terra for coin/relic hunting.

I've always found breaking into something like treasure hunting is the hardest part. If you were lucky and had someone to help you get in to it or if you just happen to be lucky enough to stumble on good equipment that will do what you need it to from the start then the rest becomes relatively easy because you enjoy it even more and learn it even quicker. And I definitely don't want this to be a nearly $1000 mistake! So I hope I don't sound too foolish in all of this :P

Thanks again to all that have offered advice!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think both machines are excellent choices. It comes down to which machine is more intuitive to YOU. Both of these machines will take 50-100 hours on the heaphones before you begin to feel comfortable with them an understand ALL of their capabilities. You can grow into both of them, instead of growing out of them. Metal detectors are like fishing rods and cars - everyone has their favorite brand or type. The most important thing is to get one, and start digging!

OP
OP
Streak

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think both machines are excellent choices. It comes down to which machine is more intuitive to YOU. Both of these machines will take 50-100 hours on the heaphones before you begin to feel comfortable with them an understand ALL of their capabilities. You can grow into both of them, instead of growing out of them. Metal detectors are like fishing rods and cars - everyone has their favorite brand or type. The most important thing is to get one, and start digging!

I like your reply! I had a notion it'd be pretty similar to that. For some reason I keep leaning towards that X-Terra, but I love the size imaging that the Garret does, not to mention the cheaper price XP I'm going to do a little more research and will definitely let you all know what I decided to go with!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Garrett has 7.2 kHz while the minelab has a 7.5khz. The minelab has a backlit screen when it's dark out. Couldn't see if Garrett was. Another difference is battery usage. 8 AA's for Garrett, 4 AA's for minelab.
I know the Garrett has waterproof coil and I'm assuming same for minelab.
Have you checked KellyComettaldetectors.com? That's where I got my Garrett ATGold.
Also I've heard Bart Davis is another place for a good deal.

405-206-9010
www.BigBoysHobbies.net
Authorized Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics, Garrett, XP Deus and Detector Pro dealer.

Just thought you might be able to get it cheaper plus more perks.

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
Solo is right everyone is partial to there own brand. Don't worry so much about screen abilities as they are all guess o meters. I don't own either model you are looking at but I do have both brands. If you want a more complex machine I believe the minelabs are it. That said all equipment has its short falls.
The other responder also made a good point to try Bart, he usually has a good price/deal. HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between those two choices, my vote would go to the X-terra.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add my 2 cents. Bart at Big Boys is a square shooter with good pricing.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compare the features and weight. The Xterra 705 is a very good detector.

OP
OP
Streak

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for all the great information and suggestions! I think I'm going to be going with the X-Terra 705. I really like the features it has and the reviews I've seen and read. It seems to be a solid machine with good ground penetration.

Wish me luck on finding something good when I get it!

Many thanks to all of you!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen a lot about the extera. Seems like a good machine. Maybe I'll check into one for my kids. I've got one of my kids bitten by the detecting bug. He's using the BH 505 Pro and loving it.
Good luck with your Exterra. Keep us informed on finds and depth of finds.

OP
OP
Streak

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely! In what short time I've been here I've already come to love this community so I want to share my finds with you all! :) Then hopefully get pointers, etc. to make my hunting better in the long run!

Minesweeper

Jan 10, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lonestar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a beginner myself as well, and I got a Bounty Hunter Lonestar $200. It's a beginner's detector. I'm paying my dues, learning on it. Found a decent amount of coins and some junk items, like sprinkler heads and nails, and other things. And when I start to get really good at it, which I am, I will buy a Garret or something.... a more advanced machine. But, the way I see it, me not having a depth indicator on my machine, I will get better and faster at finding and retrieving my targets! Maybe you should get one thats not a beginners model and something more intermediate? If you can afford it, get a really good one! splurge. I am rather poor these days!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread