Hunting old cemeteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Has anyone had any luck IN old cemeteries. I have looked through three and my only good find was a buffalo nickel. That was in an area where I knew the hitching posts were supposed to have been.
Was in one last Saturday. Fought brambles and weeds. Got a couple bullet casings and shotgun shell bases and one faucet handle. Not very satisfying, but enjoyed the atmosphere of the old place.
Steve

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all comes down to the number of people who have visited it ... and left of course; not the ones who stay!
Every place is different, every locale unique. Assume nothing, be thorough and only log the facts.

Something else that might be worth pondering is the ways that the dead have been interred in the past. Here's how my "research" comes out on the topic:

1. In family plots. These were most often near the "old family place," although usually out of sight somewhere. After all, few wanted THAT reminder of what awaits us all so close to home. So, where there is an old, forgotten cemetary, there may be an old house site nearby as well.
2. In church yards. These are, and were, most often adjacent to the church, within at least eyesight.
I know of one old cemetary where the church moved back in the 20's. The graveyard remains, forgotten and alone, with only the woods for company. The "new" church is now 4 miles away - with a new churchyard to occupy the attentions of the living..
3. Communal burial yards - normally at the outskirts of town, or a little beyond for towns and cities. Nowadays, the town has probably surrounded the graveyard, and in some cases even moved on or been diverted in it's growth. These last sorts are ideal. Since, it takes decades for such growth to occur, the surrounding neighborhoods are bound to be oldies. Such graveyards are invariably in the "bad" parts of town, though, weed choked and overlooked.

The first two are the best for our purposes. Proabably the worst is the one right in town. Well kept and considered "monuments" themselves, there are now far more people around them to observe you. Many of these folks may not take kindly to your detecting there.

Obviously, you've overcome the theo-moral issues of cemetary detecting, so we wont re-hash those.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard great stories of coins found in and around cemeteries but certainly don't have one of my own. I've hunted several over the past year and haven't found a single old coin.

If you are ever up near Muncie send me a message and we can go hunting sometime!

Brian

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted 3 cemeteries, I found a couple old wheats in one and nothing in the other two. Just like other hunt sites there is no rhym or reason why we find what we do or why we don't find. Personally I think Cemetaries are a great place to hunt, I just prefer to either have permission of find cemeteries off the beaten path.

locosmith

Apr 5, 2007
Wagoner, OK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro,Cortez
Do it in the dark. I think there are plenty around that do hunt at night. Why?? I think so they won't be seen but?? Don't hunt around the stones! it is possible that many have left rings and such there, best left there. No matter how one looks at it you can rationalize what ever you do. Some hunt in woods, state land, parks and know they should not be there. Follow you morals or ethics. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. Thats the way its always been.Most do it for injoyment others do it for self profit. I don't think most have given what they have found to any Historical Socity or museum.. Soo, have fun and clean up the mess..L :-\

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I've had loads of success. Every coin imaginable, silver and gold jewelry, (not 6' deep either). This is my all time favorite place to hunt, and the residents don't bother ya.!

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
I wouldn't hunt a public cemetary myself..but..there is an old one on my family's property that is all grown up. No one besides my family really even know its there. I hunted out there a little bit and oddly found a bunch of mule harness stuff scattered about with the occasional modern rifle round or shotgun shell.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I have always wanted to do a cemetary, seems like it would be a great place, due to people leaving stuff there...

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't hunted a cemetery yet but one day going to try it.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't hunted a cemetery yet but one day going to try it.

stir.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread