Key West and Cabo

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I'm just getting back into MD'ing. The wife and I are going to Key West January 31, and Cabo over the 4th of July. My questions are: does anyone know any good spots/recommendations for either place, and is MD'ing legal in Mexico?

Don't know of any particular "good spots", but as for the 2nd part of your question: Metal detectors are a common site on tourist beaches of Mexico. All the major manufacturers (Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, etc...) have dealers there in the bigger cities down there (which are presumably being sold for lawful purposes).

However, some people, over the years, have asked various authorities (lawyers, consulates, border bureaucrats, the cruise-ship lawyer, or whomever): "is metal detecting legal in Mexico?" And oddly, sometimes have gotten a "no" reply.:tongue3: No doubt the reason for such an answer is that the question is being couched in terms of federal laws (raiding the pyramaids type thing), or shipwreck salvor type stuff, or exporting of gold bars, blah blah blah. The same type answer you might get if you asked enough USA lawyers or bureaucrats "can I detect in the USA?". You might also find someone to say "no" to that question as well. Because they're couching it in terms of ARPA, or mel fisher legal hassles, etc.....

OP
OP
D

dalearch

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
Kansas City Area
Don't know of any particular "good spots", but as for the 2nd part of your question: Metal detectors are a common site on tourist beaches of Mexico. All the major manufacturers (Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, etc...) have dealers there in the bigger cities down there (which are presumably being sold for lawful purposes).

However, some people, over the years, have asked various authorities (lawyers, consulates, border bureaucrats, the cruise-ship lawyer, or whomever): "is metal detecting legal in Mexico?" And oddly, sometimes have gotten a "no" reply.:tongue3: No doubt the reason for such an answer is that the question is being couched in terms of federal laws (raiding the pyramaids type thing), or shipwreck salvor type stuff, or exporting of gold bars, blah blah blah. The same type answer you might get if you asked enough USA lawyers or bureaucrats "can I detect in the USA?". You might also find someone to say "no" to that question as well. Because they're couching it in terms of ARPA, or mel fisher legal hassles, etc.....
That makes sense...thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread