Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You won't feel comfy with it until you have at lest 100 hours, there are days you will want to throw it in the junk then the next day will go great. Like the one guy said check your coil connections and make sure they are tight. I had that problem at 1st. Then I noticed the connection wasn't all they wa tight. With the o-ring on the connection it makes it a lil harder to tighten but that's to keep it water proof. I gently finished tightening mine with a pliers. I just did it until I knew it was snug and quit turning.

I have about 400 hours using mine and it does what it says. Digging trash is down to about 10% if I am just out cherry picking. If I am out looking for old musket balls or something then of course my trash is 80% but one has to expect that.

You may try swinging a lil slower and even raise the iron discrimination to max to start. Turn off the iron audio unless your swinging over a questionable target because many tie with iron audo on it will scratch and beep like you have a good target but the iron audio scratchy sound lets you know it probably isn't a coin.

I am not sure but I think all detectors have their own personality the best advice I have gotten on here is practice, practice and more practice.The VDI is usually right on target for pennies, dimes and quarters. A steady 52 is usually a nickel. In my area the soil is heavily mineralized in most areas.

Most of the guys on here are tons of help on here and I have got great tips from beginners as well as seasoned dectectors. Keep asking no matter how trivial there is always someone on here to help.

Jan 2013
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I had the same thing happen to me but I went on line found some videos on The Garrett At Pro and it helped me find the targets better . But to make things easier I just got the Garrett Pro pin-Pointer I think it will help find the items faster with my AT Pro.
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    995 times
    tectin crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bonin View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me but I went on line found some videos on The Garrett At Pro and it helped me find the targets better . But to make things easier I just got the Garrett Pro pin-Pointer I think it will help find the items faster with my AT Pro.
    Not true about hand held pp's, it's a fallacy. Never use a hand held pinpointer as a crutch because you refuse to learn how to pp a target with the actual detector, especially one like the atpro, which is outstanding at pp, even with the bid dd, which pp's like magic (nails are tricky though). I can pp and dig a couple hundred targets in a couple hours if I want, without a hand held pp. Force yourself to learn how to pp with the tecter. You will thank me for this. I promise.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Mr. Joe

Mar 2013
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer & Bounty Hunter (kids)
    21 times
    I'm about 3 months into the hobby. Started with a Ace 250 them moved to a 350 about a month later then the AT Pro a month ago. I never detected prior but have mastered it in this short time. I can say that it does have a learning curve but once mastered you'll love it. I just found my oldest coin this evening while camping with the fam. I was sweeping the campsite and found a 1926 wheaty. Nothing to brag about but a nice add. I've tried a few other manufacturers and still.prefer the Garrett.

us
    Aug 2011
    Riverside CA
    Current: Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whites GMZ, Fisher New Gol
    776 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1344 View Post

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)...but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle...at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.
    Thats a bummer! As far as cranking the sensitivty, I experienced this with my Vaquero as well. On the sites I hunted at I couldnt get the sensitivity high enough to get the depth without the chatter limiting my settings.
    "We all have the right to find people's lost items and claim them as our own"
    Peggy Hill

us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    849 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well I won't say that I'm disappointed in the At Pro yet but I'm hardly impressed with it either.

Design & ergonomics of it are just plain bad. Not what I'd expect from a $600 machine. So far on the performance end of it, it has yet to target anything over 6".

I think most users that rave about it are coming off lower end or starter detectors. It's a definitely a step up from the joke Ace series or the equally worthless Coinmaster lineup (I'm sure the lower end FT machines aren't any better). But it hasn't been a match for the Tesoros in the $500 range or the E & V-series Whites that I've seen yet. I admit I'm a new ATP user and not familiar with all it's nuances yet. But it sure hasn't wowed me like my MXT Pro or my Vx3 did right off the start.
    scotty544 and Sandman like this.
    Remember...You are unique. Just like everyone else!

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The smaller coil on the ATP makes it much lighter and you dig much less trash. It also makes it easier to pin point with the 5x8.

I used it on a beach last week and dug very little trash in comparison to the last beach i detected on. My signals are more precise as well.

I love my ATP with the 5x8 coil
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    Minelab CTX 3030...Garrett AT Pro... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle Samson digging tools
    2097 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Normsel View Post
    The smaller coil on the ATP makes it much lighter and you dig much less trash. It also makes it easier to pin point with the 5x8.

I used it on a beach last week and dug very little trash in comparison to the last beach i detected on. My signals are more precise as well.

I love my ATP with the 5x8 coil
    Agree 100%, I liked it with the large stock coil, but this 5x8 is the cats pajamas. I do some beach, but mostly park, and home sites, have 3 coils, but I don't see the 5x8 coming off
    1844 Canadian Half Cent ... (2) 1859 Canadian Large Cent... 1873 Three Cent Nickle... 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece... 1858 Seated Half Dime... 1875 Seated Half Dollar... 1863 Fatty IH ... Civil War Eagle I button ... Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

us
    “We do not inherit the planet from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”

Mar 2013
    NE PA
    Garrett AT Pro
    170 times
    You definetly aren't pin pointing with the AT Pro correctly. I just answered the question on the Garrett Forum on how I do it with either coil and I am usually spot on. Get a little more time on the machine and you'll get the hang of it. My holes never exceed four inches across, if that. Now I am NOT saying this is the best machine on the planet, so don't flame me on that one but I will try to answer all your questions if I can, and I am no expert either. But you do want to turn that sensitivity down or it'll be beeping on everything. When mine tells me to dig I usually got what I think it will be. One site I am doing now is full of Coors wide mouth caps, and I know the sound and numbers and I only dug a few. Good luck!
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some are lacking film.

us
    Feb 2012
    NW Indiana
    NOx 800, ETrac, X1, AT Pro
    303 times
    It's interesting to read all the complaints that some AT owners (and some non owners) have expressed here. I have been running an AT Pro for a few months now, having only used the BH 505 w a DD coil before it. I have experienced some of the so called issues some have mentioned here but have a quite different attitude about the Pro. My opinion is this machine it doing exactly what it was designed to do. Yeah sure there might be a few out there with some bugs but every manufacturer has them. If you read the instructions and view the many vid's out there and take the time to learn the machine, you shouldn't have any problem. Some complain that the Pro is noisy, well I would say every noise is a target all you need to do is figure out which is a good target. Why would other machines not be so noisy in the same ground,( maybe their not picking up the targets?) Greatest depth I've achieved is in Pro Mode full Sensitivity and zero Discrimination, with Iron Audio on and off depending on trash. Is it noisy? Sure it probably is by someone's standard but I have pulled merc dimes as deep as 12" under a running track around an abandoned football field. The original limestone track had been covered with a cushioned new tech track which was then removed when they stopped using the sports complex. I have dug two coins through the sod over the original track and down into the clay base. Pin pointing has never been a problem read the instructions 95% of my finds are dead center of the hole or plug. You getting jumpy signals, well in my experience JUMPY usually means JUNK. The more time you spend with the Pro the more you will figure out whether it's truly a jumpy signal or a coin next to junk. I dig way less junk and way more good targets since I started running the Pro. Blame it on the machine if you want but I think this machine is telling you a lot more about what's in the ground than those who bash it are mentally capable of figuring out. Next thing some will want is a walk behind, self swinging detector, that will choose which target to dig and dig it too. Hunter
    RI_JEFF, firemac, JRMan and 2 others like this.
    Equinox 800, ETrac, Sunray X1, Pro/Ultimate/SEF 8x6 - AT Pro

Career Silver #44
    Vintage Coins
    No date- Draped Bust Large Cent(1790-1807)
    1846,ND - Braided Hair Large Cent
    1896s - Barber Half
    1905 - Barber Quarter
    1912,1913 - Barber Dime
    1875s,1887 - Seated Dime
    1900,1911,1911 - V Nickel
    ND,1915, 1935,1936 - Buffalo
    1864,1907 - Indiana Head
    1858 - Flying Eagle

us
    Feb 2013
    AT PRO PRO Pointer
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1344 View Post

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)...but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle...at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.
    I am new to the AT Pro also mine was a package deal so came with larger and smaller coil 5x8 I don't like using the larger coil, but the small one works great that's all I use and I find plenty of coins with it
    Good luck it is a great machine it just takes time to learn to master it!
    RI_JEFF and hunter_46356 like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You need 100 hours or more to get used to it. You need to try different settings and metal discrimination as well. I didn't like my ATP the 1st cpl weeks but once I learned it better I now love it. Garrett will even tell you it takes 50 to 100 hours. It takes a little practice to pin point but it's pretty good once you learn how. Also compliment your pin pointing with a pro pointer. I dig 50% to 75% less trash with my ATP vs my Ace 250.

I don't care if you have a $100 or $1200 detector for the most part they will all find the same things. The more you pay for one the better you have to learn it and once you do all those bells and whistles come into play. I have hunted with guys that had Mine Lab detectors in the $700 range and found as much he did. I also hunted with a guy with at $1200 -$1400 detector and he found deeper targets than I did but not any more than I did at 6"

us
    Www.youtube.com/kshollywood

Jul 2010
    Brandon,ms
    XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
    164 times
    Relic Hunting
    I know I'll catch he'll for this but the AT PRO sucks. It's a piece of crap and is just a waste of money. Now that's my opinion so all of you Garrett's users chill out. I just don't personally like it. My WHITES DFX is a pinpointing king. And if my detector says a coin is 4" under my coil you better believe it will be 4" and dead center of the coil. I know some people will get mad at me for saying that but my opinion is my opinion.

us
    Feb 2012
    NW Indiana
    NOx 800, ETrac, X1, AT Pro
    303 times
    Yeah Kevin your right your opinion is your opinion. Never used a Whites detector so It would be foolish to comment on the quality. Hopefully your remarks on the AT are a direct result of you using one. I'm guessing you didn't have any luck with pin pointing or actual target depth when testing the AT Pro by your comments on the DFX being King of pin pointing. I have been running an AT Pro since first of April and as in my previous comments have never had an issue with pin pointing even with the larger stock coil in trashy ground. I have heard comments about incorrect depth readings as well. My experience is while in a detecting mode the depths may not be correct, as most of the time they read deeper than the target is actually recovered. What I have found is one more piece of target information to use in identification. In detecting mode if the target sounds moderately deep (four to six inches), VDI's as say silver, but shows depth at 6 to 8 inches it's usually junk. When in pin point mode over a target with coil flat on the ground the depth gauge is spot on every time even on junk. Don't know if this is in the Garrett instructions or vid's but this is what I have found over the last few months. My next upgrade will be to the Minelab Dectetor line as I hear they blow Whites right out of the water (and the land)
    Equinox 800, ETrac, Sunray X1, Pro/Ultimate/SEF 8x6 - AT Pro

Career Silver #44
    Vintage Coins
    No date- Draped Bust Large Cent(1790-1807)
    1846,ND - Braided Hair Large Cent
    1896s - Barber Half
    1905 - Barber Quarter
    1912,1913 - Barber Dime
    1875s,1887 - Seated Dime
    1900,1911,1911 - V Nickel
    ND,1915, 1935,1936 - Buffalo
    1864,1907 - Indiana Head
    1858 - Flying Eagle

us
    Mar 2013
    West Coast Florida
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaner1 View Post
    Frankn the atpro with big dd pinpoints like magic, I rarely use the pp button anymore and the crap is spot on dead center every time by short waggles. But this only being said after two seasons and many thousands of targets.
    This is exactly what I have found also. Most holes I did are no larger then 3-4 inches and the item will be right there 90% of the time. It took many hours to figure this out and once I did I was amazed how fast I am able to dig the item and move on to the next one. The "short waggles" will identify a coin in a very trashy area fast.
    JoeDiggs likes this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links