when does a cemetary go from cemetary to archaelogical site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I agree that a modern cemetery is probably unethical to md in. But, Archaeologists do basically the same thing in cemeteries all over the world. So, at what age does the cemetery need to be for the ethical dilemma to end? I have several around that haven't been used for 150 to 200 years. Be pretty gross t find a ring on a finger, though.

Upvote 0

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Hmmmmm..... I think what you have here is a moral/legal combination question. Regardless of "morals" and how you feel about going into a "graveyard" with the purpose of detecting there I think the real show stopper is the LEGAL question. My guess is you would have to check State and County (or Township) laws on this to see where you stand. I'm sure there is some sort of law(s) that would cover this. I don't think though that the law (or most anyone) would really consider 150-200 years to be THAT old ya know?

It is an interesting question though and if you check and find out any info I'm sure others here would be interested to hear it!

OP
OP
B

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure i would want to do it, just the fact that they are there brings up an interesting question.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh geez.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the government says it does. TTC

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a site that has a lot of info and also people to contact to possibly answer your question. I have talked with a contributor to that site that deals with my county cemeteries and she said she would either go with me or give me the names of people to contact to hunt the graveyards.

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials

Hope this helps

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well considering it is illegal to excavate a grave let alone unethical. It never ends being a grave. I do not think archeologist dig many things with head stones or markers. ??

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well now heres an interesting thing/story. One would think that once baried or a loved one baried it would be for life right?!! Not necessarilly so, in Illinois just within the last two years there have been a couple cases where people have gone to visit loved ones to find the graves gone,the caskets removed and unceremoniusly put aside(for when and what?) but the cemetary told the people involved that basically their loved ones time in the ground expired and the cemetary was under no legal obligation to keep them baried there. HOW FREAKIN WEIRD IS THAT??!!! As i recall the picture of the big pile of dirt with caskets sticking out of it at all angles. When my time comes its cremation, I told the family to make a huge fire ,toss me in and get me to the wind and earth,ashes to ashes, just something to think about.Also up in Michigan my uncle lives near a graveyard in the woods mostly Indians but the markers we could make out put them all at over 100 years old, have thought about heading up there but since i believe in ghosts and hauntings its not going to happen , I dont care how much gold could be in that ground. HH

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It's so the dead can rest in peace, and so no more wackos start digging up their bones, something that has happened in the past. Remember when there was a small cult following where people dug up and kept a skull in their car while they drove around with it stinking to high heaven? That was back in the mid-80's.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it becomes Archaeological when an Archaeologist decides he wants to dig it.

Streak

Greenie
Jan 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705,
Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually this is a rather intriguing question. What has always made me want to do MDing is the fact that I'm into archaeology, anthropology and paleontology. To be frank I have never once given this a thought. Most sites that archaeologist dig in are hundreds to thousands of years old. However, as others have stated, even if you get past the moral feeling of detecting in a grave yard, you would still be faced with the legal aspect.

Even an archaeologist has to get permission from what ever ruling body is there before they can begin digging. If the site isn't old enough then I think you'd be faced with the ruling body not wanting anyone to dig there because, hey, they may have relatives buried there. If it's sufficiently old (Maybe 150 -200 years) then the ruling body very well may let you dig because they, themselves are curious.

It is a dilemma...that I would love to hear the resolution of!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search and you will see this topic has been covered many times here and it doesn't end well..... Any questions are answered there already.

We are not going down this road again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions