the land between a sidewalk and the road...

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly sure around here but even if its public I'm sure many homeowners would be yelling out their front doors if you were to hunt it due to the fact that they probably mow it and feel as though its theirs... For that reason alone I'll only hunt that strip around parks or in front of friends houses.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The respectable thing to do would be to talk to the homeowners and let them know your plans. If they protest too much, then move on.
While its most often public property and your legal right, they can quickly take the fun out of detecting and potentially cause the city/town to restrict it.
Nothing like solving a problem by banning it completely....That seems to be the political solution.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, original street front property lines extends out to the center of the roadway. And when the city builds a sidewalk, that cost is charged to the property owner. If you was to detect in front of my house, along the street, I sure would not like it unless you asked me for permission. I personally think that it would be more polite to get permission first. Just my opinion as a property owner.

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area of Ca. I talked to the CHP, they said....That anything from the power poll back is considered there property
and from the power poll to the street is public? we have a parking problem here, people putting up no parking signs in front of their house..... so I asked and that is what I was told.

Always better to be a good neighbor and ask:thumbsup:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its public property. When I decide to do it in my town I always go in the morning so I dnt have to deal with people.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check your city/town ordinances. The streets in Milwaukee (residential) go out 33 feet from the centerline, I believe. That much of it belongs to the municipality. If sidewalks are installed, the land owner MUST allow them because they are in that 33 feet. Any grass strip formed between the sidewalk and the traveled portion of the roadway is fair game UNLESS an ordinance was written otherwise. TTC

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard stories about people who went to the homeowner and asked if they'd mind if they detected the grass strip, explaining that they heard it is actually public property but wanted to make sure the homeowner wouldn't mind because they maintained it, were then even given permission by the homeowner to do their yard. Just something to consider, that handling it the right way could maybe gain more access.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it was Private the home owner would build on it, they don`t even pay property tax on it ...you never see anything built between the road and the sidewalk...you will almost never find a property pin there but that is in N.Y. State....all property pins that mark you house site are 25' to 30' from the center line of any street or road so if you want to get technical with them...you can hunt 5' to 10' in their front yard.
All my brothers are surveyors retired now so we know this well.
Please for our hobby never fight about this with them the home owner,it will just look bad for us and our hobby...just go up or down the street away and hunt.
Where ever you live just call a surveyor and ask where they can put the pins in your state.
Gary

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the county, I own the land to the middle of the road I live on. But, the county has right of way on the area that they mow, etc. It is about 2 feet onto the shoulder of the road. This doesn't mean the county owns it. It just means they have a right of way - just like power companies don't own the land between their poles. This all came up when the power company wanted to change from below ground wires to above ground. Since we didn't give them right of way they were restricted to using the same area where the wires were originally buried. Hopefully this will make it clear that right of way and ownership are 2 different things. May be different in other places.

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a water sewer contractor in St. Paul MN. Property lines are subject to change from one house to another in some cases. Most of the time property lines end at the sidewalk if one is there. I always see two guys with E-tracs pounding out the boulevards and streets. Awesome time to detect it is when it's destroyed already so check on those construction sights. HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is part of utility easement and owned by the city or county. Property ower maintains it by choice, but if you pulled up their property survey you would see it is not on their property...

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'll just ask the owners first, I'm a visitor here and dont plan to be back any time soon, but that doesnt mean i want people angry at detectorists. I'll start with a few businesses and maybe work my way on to some vacant lots (i have permission by proxy) and then ask some owners if nothing pans out. Just thought it would be nice to hit a few areas by some old trees on my walk on sunday.

Redtaill944

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x, yeah its old but it works great and it goes deep.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I love hunting these areas but I always ask permission, I know when I was a kid, thats where my brother and I played with our trucks and toy solders. I have only been turned down once. asking has actually led me to hunt quite a few front yards and a few back yards as well. I say always ask and always leave the area better than you left it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread