Just bought a used Minelab Sovereign GT!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked this up today from another local MD'er who has quite a few other detectors to choose from! Tim, I'm sure you won't miss this one too much! Paid $825 which seems fair to me as I know they are becoming harder to come by and this one hasn't seen very heavy use. I came with all you see in the picture, a spare battery pack (takes AA bats) and the shoulder bag for it. What do you guys think? Good deal? Trying to get an idea of what other accessories I should get for it and am looking for other's recommendations. I plan on using this on the beach and in the water but also on dry land as well in the future.

1. H2O proof box...which ones do you use or feel are the best.
2. H2O Proof headphones, don't plan on diving with this right now but it is nice to know that if they take a bath they will still work!
3. Other coils you may think would be good for this. It has the standard coil that comes with it.
4. Scoop. Have my eye on the 720 stealth scoop but open to suggestions.

Any ideas or discussions on this is appreciated!
20130114_140957.jpg 20130114_140949.jpg 20130114_141010.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would not trust that box in water. Good buy on Sov but think twice before taking it in the water.

I had one in ikelite camera box that was waterproof, controls were suspended in center and box was clear so you could see if it ever leaked and 4" of water would have to enter before controls could get wet.

WOT coil and SEF Butterfly 12x15" coils are what I would consider.

Istill

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no...lol the box was just to hold the paperwork and charger......lol it's a recipie card box. I have a few small pelican cases and waterproof bags for diving and OTB ops but would rather have a premade, factory box that would fit it and seal it better than one I could make. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get your ikelite box? Can't find em anywhere...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not use any box for taking the Sov GT in the water. Good price on it though. Get an Excal for the water and use a baggie over the controls of the Sov GT and leave it open at the bottom to stop condensation. The Stealth 720 is a fantastic scoop.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't plan to dive it but yeah, will certainly be cautious in the water. Looking for a waterproof box more for protection than intent to submerse it. Just not wanting to take any unnecessary risks! Have some things here I can rig up, waterproof bags, load bearing equipment from my military days...too much actually! LOL Need to start getting rid of things! So I'm sure I can come up with a comfortable chest mount system but we'll see on the box. May just use a bag and be VERY careful!

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doc - i used this outer box for about 4 month in 2009

man did it ever work great, but IT WAS HEAVY.....i started using the gsi lexan box after that.
fyi

Attachments

• OC11412.jpg
    OC11412.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 372
  • OC11413.jpg
    OC11413.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 365
  • OC11414.jpg
    OC11414.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 959

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So...how does that Kool-aid taste?

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
john - here is latest box i bought to try, but never used

lowtide tim has it in his garage - u should get it and take a look.
waterproof tackel box made by plano.
f y i -
t

Attachments

• fastharness2.jpg
    fastharness2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 230
  • NEWBOX4.jpg
    NEWBOX4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 215
  • NEWBOX1.jpg
    NEWBOX1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 401
  • fastharness3.jpg
    fastharness3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 263

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE IS THE OLD STAND BY GSI LEXAN BOX THAT MANY HAVE USED

WORKS GOOD - Some pics are of Jeff's box and 2 are the 1 i used for long time

Attachments

• JEFF1.jpg
    JEFF1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 317
  • JEFF2.jpg
    JEFF2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 286
  • JEFF3.jpg
    JEFF3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 253
  • JEFF4.jpg
    JEFF4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 290
  • JEFF5.jpg
    JEFF5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 342
  • TUFF1.jpg
    TUFF1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 246
  • TUFF2.jpg
    TUFF2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 275

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest with you i would never take my Sovereign in the water....... But with the GT you have the best detector that Minelab has ever made for coins & jewelry .....Better than any explorer or Etrac or even the 3030...for these do not go any deeper than the Gt just have a lot more bells & whistles......... That drain your wallet of $$ dollars.......

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kreppy - why would u not want to

To be honest with you i would never take my Sovereign in the water....... But with the GT you have the best detector that Minelab has ever made for coins & jewelry .....Better than any explorer or Etrac or even the 3030...for these do not go any deeper than the Gt just have a lot more bells & whistles......... That drain your wallet of $$ dollars.......
box is waterproof - wave proof - rainproof - etc.
does not leak
just f y i.
short video on the same box but medium size box for sepro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT60Aq****s&list=FLfyP0xPCGJW9T_tlhLI6rog

JFITTZZZ

May 6, 2012
Mansfield Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just test drove my new SovGt in Alabama...... Couldn't be more impressed with the machine..... The only problem that I am working on is trying to pinpoint a target. Takes alot of practice. Let me tell you that i found a iron target under a boulder made of iron !!!!! I am awaiting a new meter from the UK and a WOT coil is my next buy.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not use any box for taking the Sov GT in the water. Good price on it though. Get an Excal for the water and use a baggie over the controls of the Sov GT and leave it open at the bottom to stop condensation. The Stealth 720 is a fantastic scoop.
Sandman i don't know why he wants to water proof it he has up he has a Excalibur 800 and a Excalibur 1000

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a waterproof Sov GT, it is a nice detector in the water...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no...lol the box was just to hold the paperwork and charger......lol it's a recipie card box. I have a few small pelican cases and waterproof bags for diving and OTB ops but would rather have a premade, factory box that would fit it and seal it better than one I could make. Any suggestions?

Theres a youtube clip Waterproof Sovereign ,where the guy uses a Plano box ,and Rapoo head phones remote wireless , the box is great, the head phones dont bother, blue tooth ,to much delay...but the video worth a look...

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a youtube clip Waterproof Sovereign ,where the guy uses a Plano box ,and Rapoo head phones remote wireless , the box is great, the head phones dont bother, blue tooth ,to much delay...but the video worth a look...

Yeah, I did see that one. I tried the same system and it didn't work well at all. Like you said the delay was just too much and you couldn't really pinpoint the item. Sound quality wasn't really good either. I tried 2 different bluetooth systems and headphones and both had the same results. I really prefer earbuds to the larger headphones and they ahve been working well for me. I'm actually using earbuds with my wireless on the CTX 3030 (have the wireless unit in a waterproof bag with external headphone connection) and they have been great! Even in the water after being smacked with some good waves...still working!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread