Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm close to choosing a new detector to get back into coin hunting after many years but have a question. I see "VDI" charts on different models and wondered if these were developed by actual coins found in the ground or if they can be determined from air tests or self-buried coins. I'm really excited about getting back into it and am antsy for something to do until the ground thaws here in Ohio. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't trust any VDI chart. Dig based on quality of target sound.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites XLT and use the VDI numbers to accurately identify targets before I dig. You can use icons to identify the VDI that the manufacturer has set. However, a coin that has been in the ground for some time has a halo that makes it easier to detect and more accurately identify. Once you get your detector then you will learn to match the VDI with targets that you actually dig up. I have VDI's for wheats, zinc pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. If I detect a coin, identify the correct VDI, pin point it as a coin sized target and show a real depth, I am very successful at knowing what I am going to dig. Here's a tip. When everything else seems right but the depth reads 00, it is a pipe driven straight into the ground. HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
O

ohiodigger1950

Greenie
Jan 4, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info.....its been 20 years since I hunted and it was with my Fisher 1265-X that no longer works. I'm trying to learn all I can about the new toys before I take the plunge. Am close to ordering an AT Pro and am pretty excited about getting back into it.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro looks like a nice machine. It has some custom adjustments which I enjoy. Congratulations in advance! HH

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the problems with trusting your VDI is that there is often trash near your target (sometimes right next to it) and that alters the conductivity that the VDI is displaying. As a result, what looks like trash on the VDI may be an old silver coin or a valuable ring. It just may be next to a wad of aluminum foil or a handful of nails (I see thousands of rusty nails littered all over rotted away home sites in the Colorado mountains). Odds are good you might get different readings depending on which direction your coil sweep is - which often is a clue to dig and see what your target really is. I also have to deal with ground balance issues (lots of heavy mineralization where I hunt), which tends to vary a lot as a result of the earth being moved around because of people living there and disturbing the soil a long time ago.

I can tell you from experience that I have followed people that trust their VDI and skipped targets that I dug up and found something valuable - it takes me longer, but I would rather have the target than come home with nothing.

I do a lot of relic hunting - and in those cases, the VDI reading is often meaningless as you really don't know what you will find, so the VDI value needs to be ignored, depending on how many nails and other old home hardware you are encountering.

This is why there are successful MD users with the Tesoro units that don't have any VDI meters on them - I listen to the sounds from my detector and work from there. There is nothing wrong with using a VDI, however I find that it often tells me things that are meaningless because it has no way to correct for targets that are comprised of multiple items (good right next to trash). If you are headed for an area that has been heavily detected, the good targets that were skipped are likely to fall into that category.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The VDI # is basically the amount of returned signal. Each metal returns a certain amount of signal per volume of metal. The manufacturers use the return of coins to calibrate the VDI numbers listed for coins. These #s are only accurate for coins. The problem with the VDI #s for certain metals is that they change with size of metal. In other words the identity of the target is a guess. My Whites XLT will correctly ID a quarter every time if , in fact, the target is a quarter, but if it is a brass washer of slightly larger size, it might think it is a quarter. Once you get use to the readouts for coins you will find it is more accurate than tones because there are few people with perfect pitch recognition. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I catch myself cherry picking by VDI all the time. This weekend I dug a target that read 49 in multiple directions, I never dig anything below 50 usually. I only decided to dig because it was in the front yard of a 1920 house. It was a 1938 Mercury dime in perfect condition sitting on edge. Makes me wonder how much silver I have passed up.

OP
OP
O

ohiodigger1950

Greenie
Jan 4, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I gotta admit I didn't spend quality time with it years ago and never felt very confident, digging up about every blip I heard that resulted in lots of junk. Now that I'm retired I'd like to get as good as I can but am not sure of the best way to learn other than spend lots of time listening and digging. I'm sure the new technology results in better odds of finding good stuff but there's a big learning curve.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much go by sound vs VDI, because I think sound is more reliable. The Xterra is great on both, but their sounds ID is fantastic.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm close to choosing a new detector to get back into coin hunting after many years but have a question. I see "VDI" charts on different models and wondered if these were developed by actual coins found in the ground or if they can be determined from air tests or self-buried coins. I'm really excited about getting back into it and am antsy for something to do until the ground thaws here in Ohio. Thanks.

VDI charts are determined by air testing. It can't be done with "in-ground" testing because ground is a variable which influences the target ID reading.

--Dave J.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ohiodigger1950

While I have managed to recover my share of old coins and treasure, I decided years ago that "digging" wasn't fun for me. I now have as much fun using my machine to correctly identify targets as I do finding coins. I have a Whites XLT and I go out to have fun! I use the tone ID for general searching. When I hear a possible good target I use pin point to determine the size. Coins are small and a lot of junk (brass fittings and copper pipes) can be eliminated by size. I then take VDI readings as I swing the coil and circle the target. I am looking for very crisp numbers in a very narrow range. This lets me know what might be down there and is the most accurate way I know. I then check the DC phase trying to read only the buried target. I also check the depth. A viable depth reading helps confirm my readings. (Deeper targets give lower VDI readings) A 00 depth reading is usually a pipe driven into the ground. At this point I will usually dig positive numbers around 17-19 nickels, and the higher numbers for pennies, dimes, etc. This may seem like a lot of effort but usually only takes a minute. I enjoy running my machine and love it when I dig what I correctly thought was down there. HH

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is all about those Good Repeatable Signals...TONES TONES TONES...My safair hits on 39 for a quarter everytime..plus the tone it lets out is an awesome solid signal.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an awesome machine! I agree, Mine Lab is all about tones! HH

OP
OP
O

ohiodigger1950

Greenie
Jan 4, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265-X
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips, Twinkletoes! I've been reading lots of threads on different sites, watching videos and looking at owners manuals to determine what I want to buy and what to do with it when it arrives. I enjoyed digging up unknown items years ago but would like to learn better techniques to focus on coins and jewelry. I appreciate all the feedback and welcome any additional tips to maximize using the VDI style machines.

Nolan

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 (Newbie)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone that says, "Dont trust a VDI chart" must not have a capable VDI machine. They are typically very accurate, and can certainly increase your confidence on the dig.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, I have a V3i and I was just pointing out that certain factors can effect your VDI readings. Silver usually hits in the upper 80's but the Merc I found on edge rang a consistent 49 from any direction. Nothing else was near the hole to mask the signal. I was stunned to see what I found when I dug it. In most cases I can tell what I'm digging by the VDI though.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI numbers can be useful and pretty much spot on, but when you get a really deep target and the detector is barely able to pick the target up its not going to give the same VDI as it would if its say 8" or less. I've also ran into a silver dime and a nickle setting right on top of each other that came up as 32VDI which is usually the older style pull tabs which I almost past up except the place I was detecting was really clean so I decided to dig. Going by sound is great but even some junk sounds good and if you get into a spot where your digging the same junk aluminum piece's or what ever and its all over the place knowing what VDI it is so you can avoid it is going to be a big help especially when in someones nice yard where you don't want to make a thousand holes no matter how neat you are. HH

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone that says, "Dont trust a VDI chart" must not have a capable VDI machine. They are typically very accurate, and can certainly increase your confidence on the dig.

No. I understand what can affect target ID such as manual ground balance, trash adjacent to target, angle and depth. I'd love to detect behind you if you dig based on VDI numbers alone.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On most detectors, the VDI can vary by one or two digits. An example is on the At Pro, most of the time a clad coin may read a few digits different from a silver coin - the VDI can be affected by the mineralization of the soil, composition of metal, depth of the coin, and whether the coin is flat or on edge. Here is an air test chart for the At Pro based on my customers' tests:

VDI -- Item
99 -- Ike Silver Dollar, Morgan Silver Dollar
98 -- Ike Silver Dollar
97 -- Ike Silver Dollar
96 -- Morgan Silver Dollar, Walking Liberty Silver Half Dollar, Franklin Silver Half Dollar, Large Silver Ring
95 -- 1 Troy Ounce .999 Silver Coin, 4 Quarters in a stack!
94 --
93 -- Peace Dollar, Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar, Franklin Half Dollar
92 -- Clad Dollar, Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Aluminum Token, Large Silver Ring
91 -- Barber Half Dollar
90 -- Presidential Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Clad Quarter, Large US 1 Cent, Silver British Half Crown
89 -- Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter
88 -- Standing Liberty Silver Quarter, Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter, Medium Silver Ring
87 -- SBA Dollar, Russian 50 Kopek
86 -- SBA Dollar, Sacajawea Dollar, Spanish 2-Reale, Russian 50 Kopek, Canadian Half Penny
85 -- Barber Quarter, Clad Quarter, Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent
84 -- Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent, Small Silver Ring
83 -- Mercury Silver Dime, Roosevelt Silver Dime, Clad Dime
82 -- Clad Dime, Small Silver Charm, 1 Yen Coin (JPN), Large 9K Gold Ring
81 -- US $20 Gold Piece, Barber Dime, Clad Dime, Seated Dime, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1 Yen Coin (JPN), Vintage Silver Ring, Austrian 10 Grochen Coin
80 -- Barber Dime, Seated Dime, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent, King George Half Penny, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1000 Peso Coin (Mexico, 1988), Austrian 10 Grochen Coin, 5 Gram Gold Bar, Large Plated Ring, Small Silver Ring
79 -- Seated Dime, Heavy Woman's Bracelet Watch
78 -- King George Penny, Chuck-E-Cheese Token
77 -- US $10 Gold Piece, 1 Euro Coin (Ireland), New Zealand $2.00, Australian $1.00, British 1 Pound Coin, Chuck-E-Cheese Token
76 -- Seated Liberty Half Dime, Indian Head 1 Cent, Australian $2.00, New Zealand $1.00, King George Half Penny, 5 Yen Coin (JPN), Medium Plated Ring, Small Silver Ring, Large 14K Gold Ring
75 -- Bottle Cap, Spanish 1-Reale, Zinc Lincoln 1 Cent, 5 Yen Coin (JPN)
74 -- Bottle Cap, Rev War British Musket Ball, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent
73 -- Bottle Cap, Small Silver Ring
72 -- Bottle Cap, Small Silver Cross, 10 Cent Euro Coin
71 -- Bottle Cap, Large Tungsten Ring
70 -- Bottle Cap, Civil War Mini-Ball, Medium Charm
69 -- US $5 Gold Piece, Civil War Mini-Ball
68 -- 22K Gold Sovereign, Civil War Mini-Ball
67 --
66 -- Large Tungsten Ring, Pop Top, Small Charm, silver bracelet
65 -- Large 18K Gold & Platinum Ring, 1 Gram Gold Bar
64 -- 3 nickels on top of each other!
63 -- Small Silver Earring
62 -- US $2.50 Gold Piece
61 -- Indian Head 1 Cent
60 -- Medium 9K Gold Ring
59 --
58 --
57 -- Large 14K Gold Ring
56 -- Large 14K Gold Ring
55 -- Mens Titanium Ring, Medium Gold Plated Sterling Silver Ring
54 -- Small 14K Gold Ring
53 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm, Large 14K White Gold Ring, Medium 14K Gold Ring
52 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm
51 -- 100 Yen Coin (JPN)
50 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 100 Yen Coin (JPN), 50 Yen Coin (JPN), 2 Peso Gold Coin, Small 10K Gold Ring, Small 9K Gold Ring
49 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 50 Yen Coin (JPN), small 10K ring
48 -- $1 Gold Coin (13mm), 14K Gold Chain, 14K Yellow & White Gold Ring
47 -- Large Junk Earring
46 --
45 -- Foil, Small 14K Gold Ring
44 -- Foil, Small Platinum Engagement Ring
43 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring, 14K bracelet
42 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring
41 -- Foil, Small 14K Gold Ring
40 -- Foil,14K Hollow Earring (1.3g), Property Marker Pin
39 -- Foil
38 -- Foil