Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
T

TheDetectorist

It's really only limited by your imagination. In mine, I used 2 rows. One row of silver dimes, and one row of IH pennies. Buried at one inch intervals from 3 to 8 inches. This way I can test different coils and setting to see the effects on finding small deep targets.

You can always make it bigger, deeper, more varied or whatever you want.

TD

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bench testing and test beds are a great way to learn a new detector. Bench testing, or "air testing", works fine most of the time (after all, that is how Learn Accept/Reject is done on the detectors that have that feature). You can wave a target over the coil or put the target on the ground and swing over it. Air tests can give results that differ from a buried target, however.

Test beds give more real-world results as the targets are buried. In general, you clear an area of any metallic objects and dig down to various depths (4", 8", 12", 18", etc.), place your targets and bury them. You should have a variety of targets, both good and bad. You should also have multi-target samples like a nail right next to a coin, or foil wrapped around a ring...these targets can teach you a lot and serve to test your detector's capabilities. Keep enough distance between the targets so there is no interference. You can mark the target's location with a wooden stake.

I really don't want to create a test bed, mainly because it would have to be huge to include all the targets I would want to test. I've been thinking of other ways to achieve test bed results without using a test bed. Some ideas I've had include...

• Using sacks of dirt and placing them over the target that is placed on the ground. More sacks = more depth.
  • Using 5 gallon pails filled with dirt cut down to various sizes (depths) and placing them over the target that is placed on the ground.
  • Cut removable plugs in the ground of various depths allowing you to switch targets out. Not quite sure how to do this yet in a manner that would work well.

If you use the sack or pail method you could use different kinds of dirt, sand, rocks, minerals, etc. to test your detector for different environments. You could also emulate a trashy environment by putting iron junk and pulltabs in the sacks or pails mixed in with the dirt.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I had read about one way that included an iron pipe, a glass jar of scrap copper, and several assorted coins and things that would pass for relics, but I can't remember where I read it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to do it is to dig a trench and insert the coins/test items sideways about a foot. Refil the trench, add extra soil and stamp down flat to the surrounding soil. You then have undisturbed soil though the area should be watered and walked over to take out any small air pockets.
Just digging and dropping a coin down a hole won't give true results for some years.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, U.K. I knew teh disturbed soil over coins would not give a true reading, but didn't think of your simple solution.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread