witch one to get

crazy8svt

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New here. I've always wanted to take up md as a serious hobby i have a old fisher and white (ooooooold lol) that I've saved my neighbors wedding ring with several times but i'm ready to move up. whats the best all around md. I want one for water to land and from relics to gold nuggets. I was looking into the Minelab Excalibur II but figured i better ask around first to see if this a good choice, love to hear your opinions. little info on where i go beaches,rivers,lakes,land, and caves. SORRY just realized this should be in the tool shed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, There's no Best All Around metal detector. There are some that are pretty good at many types of detecting, no one single detector is excellent at all types. Many folks, myself included, select multiple detectors. Each having a particular type of detecting that they excell at. The Excal is an excellent Saltwater machine but very expensive when compared to other detectors if used only in fresh water. The excal is also very heavy for land use, can't be used with lightweight, cooler headphones and you can't change coils easily. You may want to check out getting a couple of less expensive machines to cover all the different types of detecting you want to do.

OP
OP
C

crazy8svt

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, There's no Best All Around metal detector. There are some that are pretty good at many types of detecting, no one single detector is excellent at all types. Many folks, myself included, select multiple detectors. Each having a particular type of detecting that they excell at. The Excal is an excellent Saltwater machine but very expensive when compared to other detectors if used only in fresh water. The excal is also very heavy for land use, can't be used with lightweight, cooler headphones and you can't change coils easily. You may want to check out getting a couple of less expensive machines to cover all the different types of detecting you want to do.

so any suggestion on good starter and I'm in Mo. so no salt water issues

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have bounty hunter platinum which seems pretty good I also live in missouri good luck happy huntin

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an all around land machine for coins and jewelry I'd go with the White's M6. If you're also looking for relics and Gold Nugget prospecting the White's MXT or MXT Pro. A very good Fresh water machine that can also be used for land hunting is the Tesoro Tiger Shark. A lot of folks like the Garrett AT Pro as it's waterproof to 10 or 20 feet. I wasn't pleased with my AT Pro and sold it awhile back. Once you've experienced White's build quality, everything else pales in comparison. White's has great customer service and the Tesoros have lifetime warranties. If you need a pinpointer, The Garrett Pro Pointer is the top rated stand alone choice. The SunRay pinpointer is also excellent but not available for all detector models.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Slick, an impressive assortment of machines! Whites warranty and service are great!..........63bkpkr

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get something at least comparable to the AT PRO if you buy a starter like the Ace 250 or comparable you will find yourself wanting to upgrade in a cpl months. As everyone says there is no best detector I think it is about preference. All the detector manufacters have models comparable to each other, each with good points and each with some lesser abilites than the other. I think you learn your detector and pretty much end up being brand loyal

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone seems to have their favorite machine. You may want to look in the today's finds section to see what people are recovering and what machines they are using.

barton9329

Jan 19, 2013
New here. I've always wanted to take up md as a serious hobby i have a old fisher and white (ooooooold lol) that I've saved my neighbors wedding ring with several times but i'm ready to move up. whats the best all around md. I want one for water to land and from relics to gold nuggets. I was looking into the Minelab Excalibur II but figured i better ask around first to see if this a good choice, love to hear your opinions. little info on where i go beaches,rivers,lakes,land, and caves. SORRY just realized this should be in the tool shed

I would go with a minelab 705 has a prospecting mode and you can buy differant coils to the location you are going too.these coils will be differant frequency and sizes

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crxy8svt,

Out of curiosity what is your old white's machine? If it is a 6000 D Coinmaster then we should talk..........63bkpkr

OP
OP
C

crazy8svt

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crxy8svt,

Out of curiosity what is your old white's machine? If it is a 6000 D Coinmaster then we should talk..........63bkpkr

well the # close lol its a coinmaster 5900/Di the other is a fisher 1220-X

OP
OP
C

crazy8svt

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone seems to have their favorite machine. You may want to look in the today's finds section to see what people are recovering and what machines they are using.

that's a good idea I'll give that a look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread