Getting back into the hobby, need help.

ZachSS

Jan 20, 2013
Hey my name is Zach and this is my first time on here and I'd greatly appreciate some advice on how to pick out a Detector well suited for my area.

I live in an area south of St. Louis, Missouri.
1.It's a hilly terrain.
2.The type of soil that corn and other crops have no problem going in (not sure what kind that would be)
3. Can be very rocky, since all the caves in the area.
4. Small creek beds.
Those are mostly the areas I will be hunting in.

Price around $300 would be perfect, just to start off and I want a detector that can find just about any type of coin, jewelry, or relic even gold would be nice. Haha if that's possible.

If you need more information to help me with please ask! Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some Garretts and Tesoros in that range that I've heard a lot of good stuff about. I've had personal experience with Garrett detectors and like them.

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garrett ace 250 is a great start out mechine. I would also greatly recommed the garrett pro pointer to if you get a detector. HH

OP
OP
ZachSS

ZachSS

Jan 20, 2013
Hendrix said:
I've had personal experience with Garrett detectors and like them.
Which Garrett detectors would those be? Thanks!

And I did look at the Garret 250 and that's been the one I been leaning towards so far.. Would you recommend a 200 detector and a 50 to 100$ Pinpointer?

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
Are you hunting in the Ozark mountain area. I would go with the Garrett 2500 or gmh cxiii I live in Texas and does good with the clay and really stony ground

OP
OP
ZachSS

ZachSS

Jan 20, 2013
coketab said:
Are you hunting in the Ozark mountain area. I would go with the Garrett 2500 or gmh cxiii I live in Texas and does good with the clay and really stony ground

Alright I will give those a look over and read up about them, Thanks!
I'm a little bit east of the Ozarks, but almost same type of land but we also have a lot of flat acres and where it popular to grow corn and I'm not sure what type of soil that is.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which Garrett detectors would those be? Thanks!

And I did look at the Garret 250 and that's been the one I been leaning towards so far.. Would you recommend a 200 detector and a 50 to 100$ Pinpointer?

I've used the older versions of the 150/250 detectors. I think the 250 is a great starter and backup detector. Some experienced detectorist use nothing else. I'd spend more on the detector at first than a pinpointer. I like pinpointers but they are purely optional. I don't use one most of the time.

OP
OP
ZachSS

ZachSS

Jan 20, 2013
Hendrix said:
I've used the older versions of the 150/250 detectors. I think the 250 is a great starter and backup detector. Some experienced detectorist use nothing else. I'd spend more on the detector at first than a pinpointer. I like pinpointers but they are purely optional. I don't use one most of the time.

Okay I understand. Thanks :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZachSS, check out your local detecting clubs. You will learn what folks there are using and what they are finding BUT not where they are finding them at, I would not even ask that question but the others are fair game.

Otherwise buy the best machine you can afford, you can get a weak pinpointer from Harbor Freight. You can then purchase the Garret Pro Pointer from your finds. It is amazing how quickly even clad coins add up to good money IF you've got the right ground to check out.

Be Sure to fill in your holes and leave the ground looking like it did when you arrived there. No use causing areas you want to detect to be off limits to detecting as then what you paid for your detector has just gone down the toilet.

Best of success...........63bkpkr

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might consider a Fisher F2. It is a great starter machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey my name is Zach and this is my first time on here and I'd greatly appreciate some advice on how to pick out a Detector well suited for my area.

I live in an area south of St. Louis, Missouri.
1.It's a hilly terrain.
2.The type of soil that corn and other crops have no problem going in (not sure what kind that would be)
3. Can be very rocky, since all the caves in the area.
4. Small creek beds.
Those are mostly the areas I will be hunting in.

Price around $300 would be perfect, just to start off and I want a detector that can find just about any type of coin, jewelry, or relic even gold would be nice. Haha if that's possible.

If you need more information to help me with please ask! Thanks.

Your soils are mildly mineralized and just about every starter machine ($160-$350.00) will do just fine. Take a hard look at the Tesoro Silver uMax SILVER U-MAX [TESORO SILVER U-MAX] - $254.15 : New England Detectors USA, Discover the Detectorist in you
and if you can go up a couple of dollars, the Tesoro Cibola TESORO CIBOLA [CIBOLA] - $361.25 : New England Detectors USA, Discover the Detectorist in you
Good Luck!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zach I used to live in Missouri as well and you have pretty good soil there so most machines will work fine. I hear a lot of beginners start out with the Ace 250 and do fine with it and the later move up to a better machine. I have bought several machines since I started hunting in 1979 and I have paid all of them off within the first year with my finds. I think another great option is to look into a metal detecting club there. Clubs are great to get advice from locals and even go on some hunts with. Here is a link to a club in your area: About - Midwest Coin Shooters

Also some club members may have machines for sale that will help you as well. A pinpointer is a valuable tool to own. It will save you a lot of time and help find your target once out of the hole or if it is still in the wall of the hole. Harbor Freights is about $16 and is a good starter. They don't last long but better than nothing. The Garrett Propointer is by far the best and most of us use it. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread