First detector for my son?

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is 100% into treasure hunting. He's only 10, but spends hours and hours in the woods and fields around our property looking for everything from old bottles, to arrowheads, to coins. We've decided to get him a nice metal detector to help him in his searches. I'd like to spend around $200, but am willing to go a bit higher (or lower) to get a quality detector that will be reliable for years, and is capable of actually finding gold coins and other difficult to detect metals.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Upvote 0

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
Don't know the area u r in, hi or low mineral ground. in u r price range garrett ace 250,or whites in same $ range. both are good and well built.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett Ace 250
Fisher F2
Whites Coinmaster
Minelab Xterra 305

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just stay with the name brands, off brands are not what they seem.if you don`t have a dealer close ,buy from one of our dealers here.good prices,and advice.
Gary

OP
OP
S

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the information. I did a lot of research on the recommended detectors in this thread and pulled the trigger on the White's Coinmaster. I think it will be a good entry-level detector for my son and I foresee hours of hunting in his future. I can't wait to give it to him on Tuesday! In anticipation of him using (and loving) the metal detector I've already started looking at getting a detector for myself. It just might be the perfect gift for some father/son time! Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread