Found at a 1700's Ferry Crossing keepers home. IMG-20130120-00155.jpg

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That is a good find. It is an old style that had many variations on the end that went in the lock. But there were only two variations that were called skeleton keys. These two keys would open almost all of this style lock. I use to have both before my house burned down. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
D

DigNdirt

Greenie
Jan 13, 2013
Erwin, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got lucky researching areas to detect around my home. I was researching Plank road and it's location when I found where it crossed the Cape Fear river near the Aversboro Civil war battlefield. When I approched the land owner about the crossing he knew alot about his lands history. He pointed out location where the Ferry operators home was on the river bank I found the key within 30 minutes. The massive river was up and I didn't want to look closer with my 4yr old daughter with me. There is 2 more home sites from the revolutionary and civil war error on the property. I am looking forward to what I find. Land owner said I could keep all my finds but wants any gold 50/50. Coins Or Jewelry. Can't wait to get closer to the river to see what I can find. 150 acres.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Every inner door of my house takes an old skeleton key.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread