Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but, what?

edit: are you inquiring about how to determine the age of an area?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're trying to determine the age of a site, get some old maps of your area and see when the site appears on the maps.

OP
OP
E

ELITE

Jan 1, 2013
louisiana
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark, that is what i meant and sorry for not editing it i was in an hurry:lurk:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Add a Redhead It Helps!!!! Chug Yes Im Being Bad Very Very Bad!!! Chug ( Note Just dont Ban Me LOL Chug)

SageGrouse

Jan 9, 2013
Santa Fe NM
Detector(s) used
Used to have: Micronta, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How to determine the age of a place.

"Place" is a VERY generic term. The corner of Hollywood Blvd and Vine St. is a place. So is the Marianis Trench at the bottom of the coean. So is my bathroom. ALL places on earth are several billion years old.

To determine the age of a building, such as a house, architectural style helps. Craftsman houses are newer than Victorian, but older than ranch-style homes. Determining the style is as simple as looking on the Internet for architectural periods. style of windows, doors, carvings, in woodwork, if any, et cetera.

A good way to find the age of a home, if the bathrooms have NOT been remodeled, is to look inside the toilet. No, I'm serious! Lift the ceramic lid from the tank. Turn the heavy top over and you may see a date stamped into the porcelain. Toilets used to be stamped, to determine the date of their manufacture. Since toilets were sold generally in the same year they were manufactured, you have a good guesstimate as to the age of the house. This is an old realtor's trick! :D

Since bathtubs are RARELY changed in residences, the style of tub is another clue. Clawfoot tubs with sloping backs are Victorian to twenties. Built in "cast iron enamelled" tubs with WIDE edges (for soap and arm rests etc) are Twenties to Sixties. Fiberglass and narrow sided, but 'built in' are Sixties to present. Showers were exteriorly piped freestanding structures next to the tub in Victorian times, but *some* were built into walls with the head projecting out over the tub. Hexagonal tiles, Victorian to Thirties. Square tiles wider than three inches are Thirties to present. Tiles with banded colours two-tone, are from Forties to Sixties. Monochrome tiles are from Sixties to present. small MARBLE tiles are Victorian or preVictorian.

It a public building, wooden stalls are pre-Victorian to Thirties mid Forties. Painted straight sided stalls (not visibly wood) are mid-Forties to present. Urinals and sinks, if square edged, with pedestal, pre Victorian to around the mid Forties, Rounded, Fifties to Sixties or eighties. Formica, anywhere from Fifties to present.

City records may work as well, or running the address on Google. For instance, my old home in Monett Missouri was 309 6th St. Running a search on that address complete with the town name resulted in pictures of the craftsman style home as it is today, with information about it.

To determine the age of a park or other public building or place, look for cornerstones or statues. In parks, statues are generally dated around the time the park was laid out. Public buildings have cornerstones sometimes that detail when they were laid.

Another way to date a place is to look at the surrounding, or nearby buildings. Again, Google is your friend.

Sometimes style of driveway is a clue. Dirt, could be any age but generally old. A "two lane" driveway, I.E. two narrow strips of pavement (usually concrete) at tyre width is from the turn of the century to the 1930's. Straight cement driveways are anywhere from the 20's to the 50s. Curved asphalt or concrete driveways (a quarter circle curve) is Fifties to present. Single car garages are from turn of the century to the Fifties. After that, families often had more than one car so two-car garages became the standard.

Metal fencing styles can date a place. Wire fencing (NOT chainlink) that is twisted wire, straight up and down, with crosspieces and a top that looks like this n.n.n.n.n.n.n.n.n tends to be from Victorian to the Thirties. Chainlink with a top that looks like this x-x-x-x-x-x is Fifties to present. Victorian iron fences tend to LOOK like blacksmithed wrought iron, while modern iron fences look molded. If the uprights of an iron fence are square <> in cross section they may be more likely to be old, ESPECIALLY if other sections of the fence are attached with screws or rivets instead of welded.

Hope this helps.

SageGrouse

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread