What other hobbies have you developed as a result of thing?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What other hobbies have you developed as a result of th'ing?

I now have collections of beach toys such as burger king toys, matchbox cars, lead fishing weights, coins, cell phones, aluminum, brass and copper, foreign coins, keys, aluminum nuggets and flip tabs, etc, etc.
I decided to try and recycle as much of this and re-sell as much of this as I can to maximize the $ that I had produced from metal detecting. From this I use this $ to buy things that I might not normally be able to buy with bill paying $, such as collectables that I might want and garage sale stuff.
What do you collect? Do you resell the stuff that accumulates, or do you just keep it all like a friend of mine who will probably be buried with all of it (again, for all of the relics, treasure, etc.!)

Upvote 0

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....

I've always "collected" things... the main thing for me besides the coins is bottles. The other things I have found, I give them to people who collect them. I gave several License Plates from the early 20's to my Dad, Matchbox's to my kids, fishing stuff to me, keys to the police, etc....

BUT... you never know what you will find and start collecting!!!!

Chiz
8)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Oh, I do get bottles, mostly at the construction sites that I hunt. Many many bottles. I also look for books in abandoned buildings and have a nice collection of them going back to the 1830's. Mostly schoolbooks, but some nice other ones as well.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

I haven't yet developed any hobbies because of MDing but I for some reason associate Paintball with metal detecting... Paintball was my first true love!

Research books! Local history, artifact identification, coin and bottle books,etc. I enjoy collecting buttons that I find, not just metal ones, but shell, glass, porceline, bone,etc. I also enjoy any piece of metal that has Victorian designs. I like collecting buckles........ OH JUST FACE IT, I LIKE ANYTHING OLD!

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was at an old mining site and found a really cool old handmade button that appeared to be made out of abalone. It has that characteristic shine to it. Thought this was a really cool relic.

H

Holyfield

I collect Indian Artifacts. I've found arrowheads, 1 copper arrowhead. Many cutting tools and 2 spearheads. I haven't found a tomohawk yet. There was a time when I was not finding arrowheads so I read books and taught myself how to KNAP my own Flint. I make my own arrows with cedar shafts bought from Cabellas. Everything else is from nature, except for the fletching glue. Traditional hunter's from my area use my arrows with their Longbows and recurves for hunting. HappyHunt'in-Holyfield

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Holyfield, That's cool. Have you ever heard of a guy called "ninefingers". I hear he is quite famous in knapping circles. I sell out in Quartzite , AZ at the end of Jan, beginning of Feb each year and last year I went over to a "Knap-in", everybody was nappin (no, not asleep), just creating more arrowheads. Alot of folks go out here every year just to buy different types of rock for the hobby. I sell all kinds of rock, minerals, etc. It's one of my many hobbies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread