Maiden Amigo Mini Adventure

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Went to a local park to finally try out my new to me Tesoro.
Went after dark, and let my 3 dogs have fun off lead while I learned the song of my coil.
My first find ever was trash, band saw alloy scrap a foot deep, which is sad but at the same time, accurate... So I turned the knob up past Iron.
The next two clad pennies made up for it in odd way. Metal detecting is boring for my dogs, I think... But they love the park.
Solid hit on a slope and a deep plug revealed a clad quarter. Another gave up some paraphernalia.
Even though I thought had the Disc. past Iron, I found a monster old hinge about two feet down.
Got a super hit on the way out, and dug deep, to fight with and ultimately tear off a piece of crumpled copper sheet... When I looked up from
the last dig, my dogs were barking in pursuit of a big coyote sprinting through the park, 20 yards away. I called them off, recalled them, and put them
safely on lead, knowing that's how coyotes hunt... by luring the dog away into ambush. Sure enough, his buddy showed up moments later.
My corgi looks like a rabbit. My other two dogs, Akita, Husky, are coyote size, and I am a bigger... and hungrier.
They sized us up from about 50 yards away, and I chased them off with a rock and a yell. A call from my wife; (Sugar Magnolia playing in the night air as adrenaline fades)
"I'm still on a treasure hunting adventure at the park...we were just fending off hungry carnivores... No I did not realize I have been gone that long. See you soon..."
So my first time out, I got 27cents and some junk. Had a blast. Digging is tougher than on Youtube, I thought I would bend my Lesche on crabgrass plugs at times.
I appreciate all the info I have gotten here and on the various net sites, I love this Tesoro, can't wait to use my Vaquero. For now I will keep it simple.
May hit the sand tomorrow.
Peace and HH.

Attachments

• image-2369723482.jpg
    image-2369723482.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome story. I get my detector tomorrow....and can't wait to play with it. All week I have been scoping out places to go. Hope I have as much fun.

OP
OP
sierrakev

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Good luck 302! They say if you have thought of it,so has someone else, but I was getting solid beeps around every old tree. The wonder of digging junk may wear off, but for now I am stoked with even finding new coins. I bought a Vaquero too, but am loving the simple Amigo.
The wife thinks MD is lame, but she will end up using it once I get a clue. Lol.
My pic did not post? I will try again.

image-111279788.jpg

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of the places have been detected I'm sure, but a couple of them are virgin ground. No interest if they don't know the history. And if they have been D'd it was early on, 70's 80's...so I'm betting on the newer technology finding something. In fact two of the places I am so stoked about I'm not even going to hit them until I am proficient enough with my machine that I can find and dig frog hair with it.....( thats my Diggers lingo....it means "fine stuff" 'cause nuthin is finer than frog's hair) lol

OP
OP
sierrakev

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Sounds like you've done your homework, and you have the right tool. I need to learn my beeps and do some serious research of my area.
The beach might be good after this storm.
Gotta take care of a few things this week, but I hope to get out again soon. It's very time consuming and shall we say "addictive"?
Good luck, can't wait to see the pics.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lewes, Delaware. I was wondering when you said beaches. I'm hoping this storm that just went through here wiped out some sand. We have a beach named coin beach...thousands of king george coppers, some silver and even one or two gold have been found there. Got my AT Pro this morning. I'm super stoked

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got to play with it. Went in the back yard. Found a 1970 quarter...our place has only been here since 1990. And none of us remembers losing change, found it about 8 inches down. Yeah, I like it.

ForumRunner_20130128_200532.png

OP
OP
sierrakev

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Right on! Off to great start. Coin beach sounds cool. I've heard it mentioned. Lucky to live in such a historic region... Cooler prizes in your box of snacks. HH w/ your new zapper.

Lizard King

Nov 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool hunting story! You're not too far from me. I'm in Compton. I've been hunting by the docks in long beach but didn't have any luck. What park did you go hunt?

OP
OP
sierrakev

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
@Lizard I got stalked at Channel View and I have also briefly tried a corner of Recreation Park, both here in LBC. The beach is next, once I get a chance. Time really flies when you grab the handle...

Lizard King

Nov 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Lizard I got stalked at Channel View and I have also briefly tried a corner of Recreation Park, both here in LBC. The beach is next, once I get a chance. Time really flies when you grab the handle...

I haven't been to Channel View. Do you know how old that park is? I've been hunting some local Parks that have produced 2 gold and 3 silver rings but no old coins. I know what you mean about time flying.

OP
OP
sierrakev

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Lizard King said:
I haven't been to Channel View. Do you know how old that park is? I've been hunting some local Parks that have produced 2 gold and 3 silver rings but no old coins. I know what you mean about time flying.

I'm not sure how old Channel is. It has some big trees. Just seemed like a good place to practice for my first time. I have only gotten out twice so far, but plan to go again soon. I find myself looking for target areas as drive around. Lol. That's awesome you've scored rings! Can't wait to show/offer one to the ol' lady when I score a find... She thinks this is sad, crazy. My 27 clad cents on that first trip were a source of light hearted mockery. Got my sights on sandbox, maybe tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread