Experts of TNet! Recommend me a....

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Entry level metal detector in the $300-$600 range
Ill be hunting in Minnesota so saltwater wont be an issue
After seeing all these cool finds you guys get i want to give it a try!
I have looked at websites linked here but i am new to this so i dont know whats good or not.
Thank you very much for any info

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Experts don't use entry level machines much, and a 600 dollar machine can hardly be considered "entry level". You can get a good entry level for 300 to 400 bucks, with a decent digger too. Which will be good enough to find plenty of goods at decent depth. Stay with the big brands, they all are good. Dont spend less than 300. Good luck!

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
garrett whites fisher minelab tesoro

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Garrett machines. They work, have features, come with some needed accessories from Kellyco and are user friendly. Once you get whatever it is, practice, practice, practice. Use known targets in a known place and search them out. Learn the signals. The biggest problem new people have is learning what the signals mean. I like to bury dimes and quarters and a gold ring and then some trash targets all in the same area. I mark them with colored toothpics and then scan them. You do not want to research out a good new spot and then blow it by not knowing your new MD. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning on doing a few test runs in my yard before going out, Thank you.
Unfortunately I live in a frozen winter wasteland and cant test it for awhile, but i want to be ready to go out as soon as the thaw starts

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
kellyco is pretty legit.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns Blazing said:
I am planning on doing a few test runs in my yard before going out, Thank you.
Unfortunately I live in a frozen winter wasteland and cant test it for awhile, but i want to be ready to go out as soon as the thaw starts

With winter here you are correct and wont be going out soon. Find a club or two and go to the meeti g. Talk to the people there ask to see and handle their detectors and get their opinions. Your choise could be weighteded by finding someone with a machine you like that will go out with you and help you learn the machine once you get it. You have time its still plenty cold out and will be for a while.

OP
OP
G

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill look for clubs, thats a good idea!

I am having a hard time picking out a detector...
I like quality but i don't know what to look for when it comes to MD's

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes that's a real nice detector for the money. I would either go with a Minelab or a Garrett. The Garrett AT pro is real nice and water proof. The Ace 350 is ok for the money. It all depends on your budget. All machine will find stuff. The trick is going with one machine to start out, and learning it. Enough time with any single machine and it will start to talk to you. I would also suggest a good pinpointer and nice set of head phones. While we are waiting for the thaw, watch youtube video on MDing, they can help by picking up useful knowledge and ideas.

Good Luck and Happy MDing.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One person suggested i ask arond about older models. Ether figure out a reliable one to use or buy, theonce i have figured it out i will have a better idea what i would like in a detector. I am like a kid, I am easily amused and attracted to buttons, knobs and gatgets. I opted for a maching that i could learn to use in auto mode but one that i can grow into as i use and learn so e of the manual settings. I got an x terra 705 over the other two only because it had more things for me to play with. I guess i am like a fish, hang so,ething shiny in fromt of me and i will eventually take it.
Gerry

OP
OP
G

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna start watching videos tonight, I think I'm gonna start trying to figure out what minelab detector I want, probably a waterproof one, I have a good spot to look, a rope swing island that you have to swim to get there

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guns blazing,
You've had some good advice! Understand what you want to detect: coins, relics, land dirt, stream beds, etc. and this will help with a choice of machine. As long as you understand technology (if you have fun making changes on your cell phone, ipod, computer to see what makes them better to use) then a higher end machine with starter settings will work well for you. Purchase the best machine you can and then learn it! There is a brands section in the metal detecting area that will allow you to read about specific machines of various manufacturers. Tessoro offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner, Whites is a customer friendly company and choose a machine that offers a lot of coils that can be used with it. It is your choice so do not just jump and buy. The first thing for you to do is study, read, watch, ask questions, get catalogs/manuals (some manuals can be downloaded from a companies site) to read what they have to say. Decide just before spring comes.
Other than that the world is your play pen. Best of fun and finds............63bkpkr

Last edited:

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Entry level metal detector in the $300-$600 range
Ill be hunting in Minnesota so saltwater wont be an issue
After seeing all these cool finds you guys get i want to give it a try!
I have looked at websites linked here but i am new to this so i dont know whats good or not.
Thank you very much for any info

Minelab, whites,tesoro,garrett ..all good I know.i missed a few

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions