Introducing boy scouts

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a scout leader and a member of new member of an active club. To make a long story short the boys are i terested in mding. The club i joined is interested in introducing the scouts and possibly their families to this.
Has anyone done this with a scout troop before? Any suggestions on equipment to use? The price for rental equipment will be $25.00 for two days for garrett 250's and i have 18 boys. Any suggestions? We are a new troop and pur funds are limoted, thats why i am on here for creative ideas. Our troop is so new, that i just got my money back from when i loaned the troop money to buy their first tents. Thanks

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a great idea. You might want to get local sponsors for prizes and get a fenced field they could hunt and gps in some foil packets with numbers for prizes they could win. Have a treasure hunt. Worth cause.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:
I think it is a great idea. You might want to get local sponsors for prizes and get a fenced field they could hunt and gps in some foil packets with numbers for prizes they could win. Have a treasure hunt. Worth cause.

I figure its a chance to introduce others especially younger people to the hobby. Aother chance to get the boys outdoors and hopefully get them out more and as always have them pick some garbage up while out there.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might ask your local MD supplier to become a major sponsor for the event. Closely related could be a Coin Collecting Merit Badge earned while MD-ing. Again, you might check with your local coin shop and invite them to be another sponsor. Good luck; it's a great idea you have.
Don.......

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gerryk, like any good scout you have to "Be prepared" to make some money.

I was an active scout for many years and have your solution. This is probably only the 2nd post I've ever made without a joke too :tongue3:

First let's take a look at the breakdown of your troop. You have 18 members and I'm assuming you have a Sr Patrol Leader, and an Asst Sr Patrol Leader. Probably just have 2 patrols as well, with a Patrol leader and his assistant. You must be the Scoutmaster and have an assistant as well. So, you gather the leaders and have them plan out activities that will earn money i.e. Car washes, with their patrols. This way all the boys are involved and part of something bigger. It's called a troop fundraiser. I'm sure the boys will come up with other ways too.

Being the new kids on the block may not get you noticed, or many sponsors, but hard work has its rewards

Been there, done that :headbang:

Last edited:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Idea Gerry.

I am a cub scout bear den leader and thought about doing a meeting activity this spring on MD. I am kind of afraid to let a bunch of 8 year old boys touch my nice equipmemt. I have a bounty hunter they can use, but they will want a turn at once and I am afraid we probably won't find anything but trash with it. Not too much fun that way.

I'll probably hold off a couple years, but boys scouts should be ready for that activity.

Good Luck and HH,

Pete

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been a Boy Scout leader for 32 years and this is a great idea. I don't think I would pay $25 per scout to rent a machine. I am sure there are enough people in your area that would be more than willing to help the scouts learn about metal detecting and not charge anything. That also is an idea that I proposed to my troop last year. Thanks for the post as I now have to follow up with that. I know enough people in the Knoxville, TN area that could help me out. Also as a scout leader there are many ways to fund your troop at no expense to you or the troop. If you are interested send me a pm and I can give you some ideas.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PUlltabpete,
Your Scouts can easily find more than trash if you salt the area the night before. Finding even clad cents and an occasional nickel or dime will be a memorable 'treasure found' experience. I'd keep the 'salt' idea to myself. Don't tell the kids or the parents that might accompany you. Heck, it's all for fun and a learning experience, anyway.
Don,..........

QueenTraci

Greenie
Feb 1, 2013
I was a scout leader for 8 years. A lot of state parks will probably allow you to take your troop out if you agree to let the park have any significant finds...

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QueenTraci said:
I was a scout leader for 8 years. A lot of state parks will probably allow you to take your troop out if you agree to let the park have any significant finds...

Our state parks here have specific sites you can hnt at specific parks. You can only metal detect at a small number of parks. I understand the site superintendant makes the rules about metal detecting. One of the parks is an old quarry and is covered by slag, which makes it a terri le site to metal detect and even worst to take someone to introduce them to the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread