treasure hunt challenge and help

magnumman357

Feb 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in a tampa state park a week ago and lost a handgun. I have searched for it twice as have some sheriff's deputies with no luck. I came up with the idea of a possible treasure hunt for as many people who are willing to try, i would like to get atleast 6 or 7 hunters. I have my gps track of where i walked that night and it should be along that trail somewhere. i was thinking it might be a fun treasure hunt challenge for members here as well as a way to help the community since it's a loaded firearm in the woods of a state park. I am willing to pay a rewrd of like $150 to whomever finds it since i can't afford much more since i was recently laid off. Anyone interested can call me at :censored: or email at [email protected]

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should also consider the "Lost My Stuff" website, which has
volunteers all over who will look for free to help you find valuables.

Check the website at:
Lost My Stuff Group - Home Page

Good luck!

--Tom

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest checking with your local detecting clubs to see if they'll help you find it. I can also recommend you contact a local member of TheRingFinders.com for help. I would feel more comfortable dealing with these folks than to give detailed info to strangers. Some might decide that keeping the gun is worth more than $150.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You lose it the same way people lose everything else. Your wallet, your keys, your purse, your phone, etc... It is concealed, it's not in your hand 24/7. You don't intentionally lose it but it happens, and happens more than you think. Yes it would be very bad if a child found it and shot someone, that is why he is trying to locate it. I'm just saying until you have the facts I would show a bit of compassion for the guy instead of running him into the ground.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is against the law to hunt in 99% of Floridas state parks.....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggummup said:
I've stated the facts as they were presented here, by the OP. Awaiting response from same.

PS- And the Obama crack was uncalled for. He never got my vote.

He didn't ask for your opinion on morals or to clarify the laws in the state of Florida. He asked for help locating a gun he lost. He also didn't say he was metal detecting in the state park. Maybe he was hunting for mushrooms or a place to have a picnic.

PS- I just call it like I see it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lose it the same way people lose everything else. Your wallet, your keys, your purse, your phone, etc... It is concealed, it's not in your hand 24/7. You don't intentionally lose it but it happens, and happens more than you think. Yes it would be very bad if a child found it and shot someone, that is why he is trying to locate it. I'm just saying until you have the facts I would show a bit of compassion for the guy instead of running him into the ground.
I agree, and it's also why there should be more done in our homes and schools to teach children what to do when they come across a firearm.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get this straight the OP makes his statement (confesses his mistake) ask for help (from law enforcement) as well as here and some ones got to start some sheet.
Seriously... calling the OP irresponsible is my question. He lost a gun, asking for help, from the law and us, don't sound to irresponsible to me. Actually just the opposite. Some people act like they've never made a mistake. Probably the kind that wouldn't will admit it if he did. I always thought this was a pretty tight group of like minded people. Guess I was wrong. 357 if I was closer I'd be there for ya. Your doing the right thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I hope he found it or at least someone friendly to help him.
in spite of the fact he made a mistake ,

Sad Responses to a request for help :( Very Sad :(

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with most things it's a combination of both. Of course it's irresponsible, checking the security of your weapon is s important as keeping the safety on. To attack and assume he doesn't realize his irresponsibility might not exactly be the best course of action either however.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS- If I have broken any forum rules then by all means delete those messages, it won't be the first time and I seriously doubt it will be the last.

I agree :coffee2:

OP
OP
M

magnumman357

Feb 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say it like I see it. For the record... I'm all for guns, i'm just not for giving them to irresponsible people who...
a- lose them
b- while detecting in a state park
c- at night
Several red flags here.

Metal detecting not allowed in Fl. state parks, unless permission is granted by the park ranger on duty, and then it's beach hunting only. State parks close at dusk. Concealed carry in parks is legal, but how do you lose your weapon? That is what I can not understand.
All we need now is some kid to find it and shoot someone or himself. I can see the headlines now. Another excuse for the Feinstein's of the world to use to try and take away our 2nd amendment rights. Irresponsible gun owners.
Sorry guys I have been busy looking for work.
first off I wasn't detecting or treasure hunting. I was hunting wild boar on a special hunt to remove the j7isance animals from the park. The gun somehow popped out of my holster when I was running to a boar the dogs had caught.
I was hoping to get a half dozen guys to work in a line on my trail to attempt to locate the weapon and give the money to whoever finds it,kind of like a contest.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I suggested to wait until more facts were known before flaming someone. Saves having to eat those charred words later.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to post the best antique locomotive crash pic that I have been saving for an occasion like this rather bazaar Tnet thread which should go down as a soon forgotten whatever I just gotta find it. Thanks.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
yyyy.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we should have had the facts on the first post...... We only had half the story to go on..... So it was a mistake by Mag357 that had him get all that flack........
I haven't been here as long as some, but long enough to know you rarely get all the facts on the first post. It would probably be pretty boring if we did! Look at all the great debates we've had because we didn't. "Live long and prospect everyone"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is lock..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread open....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread