Pros and Cons At Pro vs GTI 1500

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents here. I know nothing about the 1500 and I've never used the At Pro. I have an AT Gold. The AT Pro is a newer design than the 1500.That alone should be the deciding factor. I can't recall but some models are going to be discontinued. If you think you are saving by getting an older model, you aren't thinking clearly. Get the best one you can afford, even pay more than that. The At Pro is the number one selling detector for good reasons. One good find in the lifetime of the detector will make up the difference. Okay, maybe that was three cents.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks signal line, and three cents is good. This 350 is all I know, and I am sure I am going to lose it to my 14 year grandson soon! Everything I have read confirms what you said pretty much

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that one of the reasons that I upgraded from the ACE 250 to the AT Pro is because I got sick of having a baggy on the electronics whenever I detected in the mist, drizzle, and wave spray or when I needed to set it down on the wet dew or rain soaked ground.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say that i have run the 1500 for about 10 years ... And i really liked it... I sold it and got the AT Pro .... But i think i liked the 1500 better..... Newest and latest are not always the best....Garrett give up on the 1500... And Minelab give up on the Sovereign...... An they are both better than there newest models.......

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, neither are as good as your icon/avatar.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Keppy, One went at an auction I was at, last week for $260, kinda wish I hung in there a little longer, Kinda leary paying that much for electronics, from a stranger...........let alone an auctioner, who said he thinks it works!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Keppy, One went at an auction I was at, last week for $260, kinda wish I hung in there a little longer, Kinda leary paying that much for electronics, from a stranger...........let alone an auctioner, who said he thinks it works!
Yes something like that would be bad if it did not work right........................ If it was messed up to bad by the time you paid for repairs it could be cheaper to buy a new one,,,,,,,,,,,... Unless you could try it out before it came up for bid.......

Migs7

Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 1500 a while back and I was very happy with it. Does anybody else have any info on how the atp and 1500 compare?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are both good detectors, but with a different purpose in mind. The GTI 1500 has automatic ground balancing. Some people like that and some do not. The AT-Pro puts up with wet environments much better than the 1500. If I was working a dry place with normal ground I would go with the 1500. If I was working at beaches I would have the AT-Pro. On normal ground I think the 1500 goes a little deeper, but not so much as to be a major factor. I have found dimes at eleven inches with my 1500. I suggest you go to a site like Kellyco and use their comparison feature. That will show you the specs for each detector side by side.

It is very hard to say which machine is better until you know the soil and application. I think the 1500 is better at a few things, but the AT-Pro is better as an all around. You can take the Pro almost anywhere.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have decided on an AT Pro, when the ground thaws out. Hope the grandson likes the new Ace 350, with DD and Sniper coils, with covers, and enviromental cover, for electronics. It only has about 20-30 hours on it. Wish I would have waited and got the Pro, but now I will have a hunting buddy!

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have decided on an AT Pro, when the ground thaws out. Hope the grandson likes the new Ace 350, with DD and Sniper coils, with covers, and enviromental cover, for electronics. It only has about 20-30 hours on it. Wish I would have waited and got the Pro, but now I will have a hunting buddy!

Hunting with a grandchild is really Grand!

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will say that i have run the 1500 for about 10 years ... And i really liked it... I sold it and got the AT Pro .... But i think i liked the 1500 better..... Newest and latest are not always the best....Garrett give up on the 1500... And Minelab give up on the Sovereign...... An they are both better than there newest models.......

Exactly. I just sold my Etrac I have been using for the past year and got the Ace 350 and have been finding more, just as deep and its MUCH easier to use. It has notch discrimination, VID, target depth, different tones for iron nickel and coins, good depth, why spend more? I spent the extra money on the Etrac thinking more money would get me a better detector, not true by a long shot.

My brother has had the GTI 2500 for over a decade and has a santa clause sack full of silver coins and goodies. Says the imaging feature is priceless.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to be R2 D2 to decipher all the beeps flying at you with the AT Pro. The VDI meter goes crazy with every sweep of the coil. Sounds cheap too.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once learned - the AT Pro blows the 1500 (or any of that series) away in IRON UNMASKING

that feature/ability alone is worth paying the extra couple bucks for the machine VS a 1500 or 1350 or any of those.

I had a GTA 1000 - a GTAx 1000 - a Master Hunter CX III - a GTI 1500 and a GTI 2500 but I wouldn't trade my AT Pro for any of those machines

I would however - buy another GTI 2500 (used) IF the price was rgt AND it came with the BloodHound as it's the only Garrett that they still service & sell the set up for as a package deal...

You use to be able to buy the BloodHound Boxes for the Old Grand Master CXII AND for the Newer Master Hunter CX III (I had one with mine) but not sure they sell them for either of those machines anymore - I don't see them listed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread