EMP mines deployed to discourage detecting

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMP mines deployed to discourage detecting???

Ok folks. I have heard rumors(yes, break out the grains of salt, if you wish) about the "powers that be" deploying a new type of EMP mine (electro magnetic pulse), to discourage detecting in protected/historical sites. Supposedly this is all due to the explosion of the hobby. Presumably, these things will fry your detector (and anything else you have electronic on your person) to keep the sites from being disturbed and to discourage detecting.

I have a buddy that I went to school with who is a Forest/Park Ranger that brought this to my attention. They are SUPPOSEDLY being rolled out in highly protected areas and areas that have become problematic or becoming problematic..meaning areas that people are consistently being caught detecting in that they shouldn't be.

Has anybody heard anything about this?? Is this what it has come to? Thoughts? I would hate for my detector(cell phone, gps, etc.) to be fried. ???:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jason vandiver

Jan 4, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
BH QD II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for 1 am not worried because I know to stay away from such places while detecting !!!

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly!! For me, I have no desire to ride the coat tails of others.

That said, we have a lot of land where we can detect here and most of it is virgin. Also, having the lowest population, we have very few detectorists.

If I lived in a more MD heavy area, I may feel differently.

As a side note, I deal with some EMP hardening of critical infrastructure radio communications. Maybe I will design an EMP proof detector. That said, I SERIOUSLY doubt the FCC would allow such things. What happens when the dude with a pace maker walks over the thing and dies? EMP pulses are generally a shotgun type blast of energy that is difficult to control.

There is also a serious power issue. To create an EMP capable of penetrating any dirt, would take a LOT of energy. This thing would be the size of a large beach ball and require buried electrical service or solar charging.

I seriously think this is a story that may purposely be spread to scare people, but the practicality of it REEKS!!

WM

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting...the way it was put to me was it was set off presumably by the transmit coil freq. and yes, charged via solar cell.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tin foil is supposed to be a decent Faraday cage.

Sounds like an wild rumor.

They could just ticket the MDer for 1000 bucks, and make money. Instead, they are going to use a high tech solution??? I don't believe this, unless the parks publish this.

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tin foil is supposed to be a decent Faraday cage.

Sounds like an wild rumor.

They could just ticket the MDer for 1000 bucks, and make money. Instead, they are going to use a high tech solution??? I don't believe this, unless the parks publish this.

My thoughts exactly...but then I looked up emp's and it's really not that much more high tech than what we swing.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMPs themselves are not that high tech.

What is high tech is MAKING the EMPs with a device that also doesn't destroy itself. If they are solar charged, then you also have to protect the solar panel and charging circuitry.

WM

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMPs themselves are not that high tech.

What is high tech is MAKING the EMPs with a device that also doesn't destroy itself. If they are solar charged, then you also have to protect the solar panel and charging circuitry.

WM
But from what I understand, the electronics looks rather simple and if the components are easily replaced....think of it as an electronic "bear trap" that you come back to see if it has been set off and if it has, replace-reset. The EMP coil itself wouldn't be damaged, would it, Wyomingmedic?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
rhino71, it would seem like anyone can accomplish the same thing, by merely seeding a site with nails, or washers, or steel BB's, etc.... Anything like that would mask targets, and make detecting too difficult, thus driving away md'rs. All they'd need to do is just go scatter metal pellets .......... like spreading birdseed across the site.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But from what I understand, the electronics looks rather simple and if the components are easily replaced....think of it as an electronic "bear trap" that you come back to see if it has been set off and if it has, replace-reset. The EMP coil itself wouldn't be damaged, would it, Wyomingmedic?

They certainly could so it that way. Logistically, it seems very unlikely.

They would have to (after every activation) have a way to know the device has been activated, then go and dig it up in such a fashion so as not to make i tlook disturbed. Then the repair/reset and re-bury.

I would think it would cause more damage to the site than the MDers. And if they move it every time, they would have to drag and install whatever solar charging system with it.

Is it possible? Oh yes. Is it the kind of asinine thing the gov't would waste money on? Absolutely. But in such a politically charged climate with every agency (NPS is included) having to cut millions and millions from their budgets, it isn't a viable option IMO.

Somebody may prove me wrong, but the logistical impracticality seems insurmountable for the very small amount of gain IMO.

WM

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rhino71, it would seem like anyone can accomplish the same thing, by merely seeding a site with nails, or washers, or steel BB's, etc.... Anything like that would mask targets, and make detecting too difficult, thus driving away md'rs. All they'd need to do is just go scatter metal pellets .......... like spreading birdseed across the site.

Very true, Tom.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how much money this would cost? It would cost less to have a security person at the site 24 hours a day.

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how much money this would cost? It would cost less to have a security person at the site 24 hours a day.

From what I can gather, an emp device can be made from an old digital camera. So, in answer to your question, Yes I do....not much. Google it.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simple stay out of these areas or fry your detector seems pretty cut and dry to me..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ease back on the conspiracy websites. Employing EMPs against detectorists? Hogwash.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ease back on the conspiracy websites. Employing EMPs against detectorists? Hogwash.

Agreed. However a continuous transmitter(s) to disrupt the detector via RFI is a real possibility.

It wouldn't destroy itself, inexpensive to construct, run on low power, and have the disruptive effect that we've all experienced from one time or another.
A site could easily be seeded with them.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sadly bb's are dirt cheap and for most relic hunters with non discrimating type machines would shut the down site rather quickly --for those with discrimating machines extra fine bits of can slaw * -- the do it all mixture of both co mingled will nuke a site as far as detecting goes -- as it would ruin the hunt

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep,seed the site with "trash". Cheap and allows time for detector to get caught.
No proof but it was suggested parts of Gettysburg was seeded.
Whether or not its agreed if such sites should be detected can you blame care takers for wanting to fry poachers detectors.?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think they are watching you through your television too?? How about through your "smart phone"?? Years (30 or so) ago there were rumors about the National Parks Service scattering steel slugs (discs) around CW battlefields to deter illicit MD hunters, never found out if it was true.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are a crack up :) I love this place :) If the guv can't make a buck on it, then it's not being done by them. A city security camera is a lot cheaper and they already send you the bill with your smiling picture on it from anywhere in town. They can look at you through your lap top camera if you leave it uncovered but wouldn't bother unless you're already part of some sting they have together on you. First you need to be guilty, then you need to be found. EMP... naw, APM... hmmm. AMPM, coffee time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread