The new whites GMZ or GMT which one should i get? or GB2?

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone i tried starting this thread but i messed up the title. So im interested in 3 machines. The new whites gmz but it has no discrimination so its a dig everything machine im assuming which is kinda annoying but is there a benefit to this? I like the gmz price more than the GMT and GB2 but if it doesnt have what i need to prospect where there are cold stones and iron then it might be outta the questions. So with that being said if there is an upper to the gmz please feel free to post about it.
Ok now the GMT or GB2? Gb2 has 70 or 71 hz and gmt i think has around 51hz. I know the GB2 will get more fine gold but im looking for a detector that has more depth. I havent been able to find a comparison of the 2. I know each machine is awsome for gold no doubt about that but what im looking for is finding small to large gold with the best depth for places such as arizona,california,nevada. Lets just say all of these will have medium to high mineralization and lots of cold stones. I need a machine that i can hunt 10 hours a day 5 days a week and be able to ground balance constintly with ease. I know GMT and Gb2 both have manual gb but i see the GMT has a grab button to auto gb. Which machine should i get? that is the question. I need opinions from people who have tested or used either one. I know both are solid gold machines but i want one that i can hunt all day with and not get annoyed doing so. Any input would be great guys!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the GMT and never look back.
Thanks Cal that is what ive been thinking and you are the 2nd to tell me it rocks! Any idea how it does on depth compared to the gb2 or large gold nuggs

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both the Gold Bug 2 and the GMT. BOTH are dynamite machines, and, as far as I can tell, both have pretty much equal depth. I tested both side-by-side a year ago (TerryCieszki to see video on YouTube). I use the GB2 as my primary gold getter simply because I like manual ground balancing. The GMT has both auto and manual ground balancing. If I remember correctly, the GMT manual (on page 17?) says to get the TINIEST gold flakes, go to manual mode (Hmmm, sounds like a GB2 to me). Anyway, either will get the job done. TTC

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the Gold Bug and GMT. The GB has done well for me over the years .The GBII would be an improvement . Although I would opt for the GMT if I had to do it again.

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what's a better detector,The MXT or the Tesoro lobo??

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own a MXT as well. I have a couple of friends with Lobos. For gold? I'd probably take the Lobo. I've never owned one . But have found gold with one. It's a fine detector on small gold. It's a Gold machine, primarily.
The MXT is a great "multi- tasker " . I love mine, but don't use it that often for prospecting. I prefer it as my coin / jewelry / relic machine. But that's me. Other folks here have more experience with it as a gold detector. A couple guys I know use it exclusively as their gold machine and do just fine. I prefer to use the GMT or a PI when in the Goldfields. Matter of preference is all.

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden State Metal Detectors has an article on the best gold metal detectors. Whites is first and in my opinion the Goldmaster GMT is the best value of the best detectors. I read the manual and like the adjustments White's has given to the operator. 50kHz is a great frequency for small gold. Looks sweet! Have fun! H Digs ;)

Last edited:

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ca70 said:
I own a MXT as well. I have a couple of friends with Lobos. For gold? I'd probably take the Lobo. I've never owned one . But have found gold with one. It's a fine detector on small gold. It's a Gold machine, primarily.
The MXT is a great "multi- tasker " . I love mine, but don't use it that often for prospecting. I prefer it as my coin / jewelry / relic machine. But that's me. Other folks here have more experience with it as a gold detector. A couple guys I know use it exclusively as their gold machine and do just fine. I prefer to use the GMT or a PI when in the Goldfields. Matter of preference is all.

Great reply Ca70!! Appreciate the info, I'd like to use my MXT for everything but I have taken it out to track gold yet but I'm eager to!! I live off the American River and there's a bunch of old tailing piles everywhere, I'd heard they used to dredge up the river some years back so I'm hopeful to find something!!

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Twinkletoes said:
Golden State Metal Detectors has an article on the best gold metal detectors. Whites is first and in my opinion the Goldmaster GMT is the best value of the best detectors. I read the manual and like the adjustments White's has given to the operator. 50kHz is a great frequency for small gold. Looks sweet! Have fun! H Digs ;)

Isn't the MXT the same as the GMT.. ?? The same capabilities

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mjarvis said:
Isn't the MXT the same as the GMT.. ?? The same capabilities

Detector Prospector has an article called "Steve's Guide to White's Electronics GMT vs MXT". Just Google that title and you will find helpful information. Good luck with your new machine! H Digs :)

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are based off the same electronic circuitry . The big difference is the GMT runs at about 48 kHz and the MXT runs at about 14.8 kHz . In turn , the GMT is much better at hitting on smaller gold , sub grain pieces . The flip side is the MXT will be better on larger deeper gold. Although It will find gold in about the 2 grain size and up.

Bottom line , the MXT will do it all really well. The GMT essentially is a dedicated Gold detector . It is so sensitive on small metallic targets that it in a park or beach setting it would become very tedious weeding through it all . With a intermediate operator , It can and does find sub-grain size pieces that barely get the scale to move. Ie : . 2. - .3 grain .

Last edited:

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Twinkletoes said:
Detector Prospector has an article called "Steve's Guide to White's Electronics GMT vs MXT". Just Google that title and you will find helpful information. Good luck with your new machine! H Digs :)

Thxs twinkle toes!! Sounds funny to say that to another man but it's all good. Thxs for the tip I will check it out!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser? I hear the gold bug pro rocks, but i would say go with the GMT. Finds the tiny gold. I used to have a GMZ and it's a very sensitive unit. Just not very deep in my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions