beginner. whats a decent metal detector to start with?

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so im into collecting old coins & currency but lately been wanting to give metal detecting a shot and make it a hobby. i have no idea what to start with. can anyone give some advice? i live in northern california in the central valley.lots of rivers,close to foothills,farmland. thank you

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't visited the General discussion board check there for a dozen or so other posts asking this same question. Lots of responders and lots of information there. Also check the brands forums for any detectors you are interested in.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the teknetics alpha 2000 for $200 and I've found 17 silvers and 107 wheaties since may. It's really good!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As G.A.P. Metal said check out the brands forum. Read field tests that describe the operation. You can't go wrong with starting with a Tesoro.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so im into collecting old coins & currency but lately been wanting to give metal detecting a shot and make it a hobby. i have no idea what to start with. can anyone give some advice? i live in northern california in the central valley.lots of rivers,close to foothills,farmland. thank you
That's kinda like asking what's the best vehicle to buy. It will depend on what you want to use it for, what you can afford, and the performance you demand.

OP
OP
panchoveeya

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL ADVICE. I WILL CONSIDER IT ALL. STILL DOING RESEARCH AND THE GARRET ACE 250 HAS CAUGHT MY EYE. BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK?

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
panchoveeya said:

I agree with the other guys, depending on what your looking for will depend on the detector you want to get. I just bought an MXT great machine has alot of great things but I'm just starting to to learn how to use it. Check eBay lots of them for sale a pretty good prices. Good luck

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL ADVICE. I WILL CONSIDER IT ALL. STILL DOING RESEARCH AND THE GARRET ACE 250 HAS CAUGHT MY EYE. BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK?

I have the ace 250...I am not totally familiar with all of it but it's a great machine to start with....

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved my Ace 250. Had it for 2 years, found lots of coins, jewelry, etc. Upgraded to the AT-Pro - Bought with the finds form the 250. If you like the idea of the graphics it is a great starter.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't be a good choice for wet ocean sand or highly mineralized ground.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True not good for wet sand..I do well with it on dry sand and also been fine on riverbanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread