$50,000 metal detector...seriously???

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw a link for a 50,000 dollar metal detector lol is this serious? It supposedly has some kind of glasses that you put on that shows you actual pictures of what is in the ground or something. Would people actually buy this thing? Wouldnt that take all of the fun out of detecting?:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was actually on treasurenet. lol I was looking through the forums and one of the advertisements on the side was showing some prices and different detectors and thats when I noticed it. I clicked on it and it is real... kinda crazy. Google most expensive metal detectors and you will see. They can find metal up to eighty feet deep supposedly.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea but I'd be interested to see the link...

yeah okm exp 5000 is the detector. Just saw the ad again on the right side of the home page.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey its on sale for 23000 right now... better act fast lol

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol I found it. The photos of the people using it are pretty classic.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this one must be pretty good, you can swing it 6 to 10 inches off the ground

videoddvsystem.gif

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to know how you see where you're going with those goggles on. Seems all you would see is what's underground.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know how you see where you're going with those goggles on. Seems all you would see is what's underground.

I believe you may see something like this only superimposed on the ground

OKM_EXP_5000.jpg

But one thing for sure, if ya do, I'd get motion sickness

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I just realized she was swinging something! :laughing7:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OKM EXP 4000, IS MUCH MORE AFFORDABLE--LOL----CAN BE SEEN AT KELLYCO.COM------------

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those should be ground penetrating radars, not metal detectors. There is a huge difference... and yes the prices are still high, but once they go down (if they ever do) they will make the actual metal detectors like a kids game.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
norbyx, no, these machines will not ".... make the actual metal detectors like a kids game." The problem with anything like this (that shows such shapes, anomolies, etc... underground), is PIXEL size. The pixel size is ...... at the smallest, something like 1" across. So ....... doh.... all coin sized objects (coins, tabs, nails, wads of foil, rings, etc...) are all, doh, 1" across. And even things you'd *think* would have a magical shape showing giveway (like a horseshoe, for instance), are nothing but a blotch of pixels.

So, no, they will do nothing to aid in regular coin hunting type applications. About the only thing machines like that are good for, is sizing out giant shapes in the ground (septic tank, or whatever). For example, they'd be good for bottle hunters to show anomolies (outhouse pits), in the ground. But no, not for the type hunting that 99% of all detectorists do: coin/relics/jewelry.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard from a good friend of mine that military have ground penetrating radars that can actually see what coin is hurried in the ground, not just if its a coin or not but tell you if its a wheat penny or an Indian. This units are still under development but if it happens as always in maybe 10 years we might see them in production...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have heard from a good friend of mine that military have ground penetrating radars that can actually see what coin is hurried in the ground, not just if its a coin or not but tell you if its a wheat penny or an Indian. This units are still under development but if it happens as always in maybe 10 years we might see them in production...

I think someone's pulling your leg dude.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tom in Ca.
I think someone's pulling your leg dude.

Would have to agree. GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) systems have come a looonnggg ways in the past
20 years, but they are still limited to graphing the reflected returns from the terrain beneath. Could be that
with software they can quickly analyze the returns, and provide a mineral breakdown of the soil, where the
voids are, and an outline of any objects. When copper leaches from a penny that has been in the same soil
for years it leaves a "signature" around it as the nearby soil will show those copper traces. Still, that doesn't
say what it is, however some items can often be identified by the items shape + an analysis of the elements
in the surrounding soil.

The more powerful the GPR is, the more power it requires to transmit/receive and therefore you're also
hauling round a heavy power source + a very heavy transponder which is typically mounted on a set of
wheels so it can be rolled/pushed/pulled over the terrain.

FWIW, for me it's a hellofa lot easier just to beep the coin and dig it up and avoid all that extra work. You can
dig the hole, take the prize, refill and move on to hunting again long before the data analysis is even done on a
single object. Besides, what fun would it be knowing what it is before you dig it up? 8-)

Last edited:

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe this would be beneficial to an artifact recovery company but on my level digging up the unknown is the whole point and appeal.

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure the military has more things then we know abt. But if that's true, that's one he'll of a detector!! That thing better do dishes for that price!!

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I use a ground penetrating shovel. It has been in testing for years. If used properly, I can tell you the year on the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread