Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm curious how everybody keeps track of their finds...Do you carry log books or have extremely good memories?

Also, is there a computer program that you could log all your finds? Like a journal program that you could load pictures, dates, gps location, inches deep, other vital information. If there isn't one, someone should write one...I'd buy it.

Upvote 0

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I just make up a spreadsheet. I only put at the top the year, then the year of the coin and work my way down. I end up with several columns. I use colors for different decades. I don't put more info in than that, I could but it's up to the person. To make it simple I do not count wheaties or clad or modern. I only put in it silver, buffalo's, V nickels ect. Hope that helps give you a plan to go on.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wait till I get home , and then just look thru everything and make a list of everything I found for the day, along with WHERE & the date. <><><> Tho Only Time I made records on the Spot, was when I was doing A PUBLIC SERVICE SEARCH of a site , where Locations of finds were Vital.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than having a reference manual for yourself as to what,when ,where and how you found something,why bother?I mean unless you find a site that is literally covered with relics and old coins and the like,it just seems like a waste of time.Well wait a minute,hhmmm??Maybe it could also be used to keep track of sites that you detect for clad,you know as a dating reference,to know when to hunt that site again.If you hunt places with a high turnover rate.I don't know,I guess I would keep records if I was hunting a large productive area,but it would be more of a mapping system than anything else.Too much work,not enough time :(,oh well.....H.H. PS- I still remember the details of all of my worthy finds,but that list is short, so as it grows then maybe? :-\

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
There are some folks hereabouts who have made databases using a variety of methods. I've written a couple and done an Access data base, but don't use any. Just seems to turn the fun into work. I kind of favor just recording the good stuff unless you want a picture of where you're getting volumes of clad.

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an idea for your bottlecap......bottle cap folk art!!! You could be rich! The bottlecap man sells for $125. If my pictures don't come through look up "bottle cap folk art" on google. Just kidding.

Attachments

• bottle cap man.jpg
    bottle cap man.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 153
  • man on horse.jpg
    man on horse.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 151
  • dancing man.jpg
    dancing man.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 142
  • bottle cap man.jpg
    bottle cap man.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 152
  • man on horse.jpg
    man on horse.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 149
  • dancing man.jpg
    dancing man.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
70 bottle caps per man.....Each man costs $125......That's $1.78 per bottle cap. We're throwing away the wrong thing. We should be keeping the bottle caps and throwing away the clad.

H

histoplasmosis

I dunno one of these nights when i'm sleepless I can write a .net app for you guys to keep track if you really wanted. I'd just make it connect to a db and be able to export the data via web printer on screen whatever.

We'll see depends how bored I get when I don't sleep.

I could even make a web page that would do it. I dunno the possibilities are endless just have to get bored now.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I remember when I was young seeing those bottle cap people in the bars where my parents raised me.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well Pete it's better getting raised in bars than behind them.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Probably some overkill, but i use a floppy disk and there is 10 files on a disk for the calender year each file represents something specific. For instance there is gold, silver, and junk jewelry files for both myself and for my wife, I also track tokens foreign coins etc with separate file. A detecting log file, and a by county log where gold and silver finds are tracked. I have used this similar setup since 1999 and find that I can keep good track of the productive sites. Crazy as it sounds I also have a disk that lists sites by county as well as the type of matrix that their respected playgrounds are made up of, IE sand, mulch, pebble, chopped up tires etc. Like I said probably overkill, but it works for us. The key is find a system that works for you and go for it
hh
dave-enc

D

Darod

histoplasmosis,

As soon as you get bored enough and can't sleep AND decide to write that ap,...let me know :)

I'd love to get a copy of it!

Rod

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies.

Everybody gives so many details in their stories that I knew they kept information somehow. I just pictured everybody walking around with log books keeping track of every little detail. (like mad scientists or metal detecting nerds)

I am going to keep a log book, but try not to be too anal about it. Then....... depending if I find anything....I could try a computer program.

Thanks again.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take digital pics of them the day I find them. As for where - anything good found is right in my memory.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I like the digital pix idea, if you happen to keep your digital camera in the truck. However, I have not found anything that I would consider to be of great signifigance in my two years of detecting, as limited as it has been (about 100 hours total). With that said, I still feel that every non trash find is a treasure logged in my mind. Spotz

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a simple Excel spreadsheet to log my finds. I divide it into columns for date, time spent searching, location and items found (which is actually two columns, one for coins and one for other items). I use a simple addition formula for the coin column so that it gives me a total dollar amount for clad coins found, so I know how much change I have found. My "other items found" column gives a detailed list of items such as jewelry or relics, or older coins, which I keep. The clad gets thrown in my change jar, and rolled up every so often and dropped in my mad money (meaning beer money, lol) savings account. For those who don't have Microsoft Excel on their computer, the Microsoft Works spreadsheet, which most PCs come with these days, can be used exactly the same way.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I try to keep good records in a log book with place ,date , location,number of pennies, nicks,dimes,wheats,rings everthing.I total everything up at the end each of each month and compare previous years with the current.It has helped me alot in locating forgotten spots and setting my day offs with past productive spots if I don't have enough time to search for new ones.In my opinion accurate records are VERY IMPORTANT in this hobby!
good luck,bigrig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread