Putting the Research to the Test

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Well... been researching and making contacts all winter and today is the day to see what's up on a few of my sites. Today's cursory searches should produce... but then again, they could produce nothing, eh?

Site 1: Franklin County, Va. - The Carolina Road runs right through my area. This road was THE road for settlers moving down the east coast into the Carolinas. Recently I met a gentleman who gave me permission to hunt his land where a spring along the road still exists... as does part of the road. His family has lived there for generations and the story goes that this spot was where settlers would stop to camp and refresh their animals.

Site 2: Roanoke Co., Va. - During the Civil War there was a Confederate Camp of Instruction that operated about a year in this area. They trained many of the the Confederate cavalry that came from West Virginia. Much of the camp is under a subdivision these days... but my research shows that people still stumble upon artifacts. Unfortunately, I cannot find these people first hand. However, I did find a nice plot of land in the area that is along the creek, flat and looks like "old ground". Maybe 3 acres. Anyway... I secured permission there as well and we will check that in a cursory fashion too.

Site 3: Montgomery Co., Va. - Three days after the surrender at Appomattox, a regiment of Union Cav was ambushed by confederate irregulars as they moved north... likely to DC for the victory parade. The skirmish was short but occurred on a section of road where an old tavern sat. That tavern is still there and the battlefield is mostly pasture. I've secured permission from both land owners to check the site out. One parcel has been hunted before to no avail; the other hasn't. Landowners are HOPING I find something because they are trying to get historic recognition of the site... but they can't find physical proof other than legend and oral history.

Wish us luck!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
it all sounds real promising.did the people on site three say how long ago it was hunted.hopefully the people hunting were just cherry picking looking for silver and there is still lots of good stuff to be found.wish you lots of luck should be lot of fun.HH

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless its all been screened
it dont matter if a site has been searched before
it does sound promising
best of luck to you:thumb_up:
HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun summer! Post your finds for us to drool over.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey FB friend!
Well... been researching and making contacts all winter and today is the day to see what's up on a few of my sites. Today's cursory searches should produce... but then again, they could produce nothing, eh?

Site 1: Franklin County, Va. - The Carolina Road runs right through my area. This road was THE road for settlers moving down the east coast into the Carolinas. Recently I met a gentleman who gave me permission to hunt his land where a spring along the road still exists... as does part of the road. His family has lived there for generations and the story goes that this spot was where settlers would stop to camp and refresh their animals.

Site 2: Roanoke Co., Va. - During the Civil War there was a Confederate Camp of Instruction that operated about a year in this area. They trained many of the the Confederate cavalry that came from West Virginia. Much of the camp is under a subdivision these days... but my research shows that people still stumble upon artifacts. Unfortunately, I cannot find these people first hand. However, I did find a nice plot of land in the area that is along the creek, flat and looks like "old ground". Maybe 3 acres. Anyway... I secured permission there as well and we will check that in a cursory fashion too.

Site 3: Montgomery Co., Va. - Three days after the surrender at Appomattox, a regiment of Union Cav was ambushed by confederate irregulars as they moved north... likely to DC for the victory parade. The skirmish was short but occurred on a section of road where an old tavern sat. That tavern is still there and the battlefield is mostly pasture. I've secured permission from both land owners to check the site out. One parcel has been hunted before to no avail; the other hasn't. Landowners are HOPING I find something because they are trying to get historic recognition of the site... but they can't find physical proof other than legend and oral history.

Wish us luck!!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just reading over the info on the sites you're going to be hunting. Wow! Looks like some real potential. Hope you post some pics! When/if you get back to B-town for a visit, we will have to get together and hunt! Yes and Good Luck! :3barsgold:

Wish us luck!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like some good places. Let us know. TTC

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have so many great places to detect, there is just the problem of getting permission and a ride to the place.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Newsman, I live a few miles away from you in Patrick County. I've been hunting a colonial store site in Henry County but it looks like we have picked it pretty clean, at least until they plow again. Lots of musket balls, rusty rosehead nails, a couple of gun parts and even a couple of poptops. Give me a holler if you ever want to get together. steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions