Determining Depth

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett GTI-1500. This unit has descrimination and when I pinpoint it gives me some idea of size, metal type and depth. If it is wrong on one of those three, it is almost always depth. I know that soil is a factor. When it is wrong, it tends to indicate the target is deeper than it actually is.

How does a metal detector determine depth?

Upvote 0

Justdigitoo7

Feb 10, 2013
I have a Garrett GTI-1500. This unit has descrimination and when I pinpoint it gives me some idea of size, metal type and depth. If it is wrong on one of those three, it is almost always depth. I know that soil is a factor. When it is wrong, it tends to indicate the target is deeper than it actually is.

How does a metal detector determine depth?

Can u dig it lol

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just quessing but it reads the distance to the object if it says five inches and you dig three you have the coil 2 inches off the ground ?

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand what you are saying. I generally have the coil up 1 inch. If it says the object is five inches down, how does it come to that conclusion? Radar and Sonar send out a signal that bounces off and comes back and distance is determied by time lapse. A MD does not send out such a signal. So, what makes it think something is five inches below the coil?

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patiently awaiting an answer to this one myself, good question Grizz

I was hoping one of the scientific types here could answer. Maybe I need to ask one of the companies direct. If this does not fly, I will try again on the Garrett forum. Thanks...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that it is a time elapse thing. Not radar or sonar but the signal is still transmitted and received. You can still measure the time it takes to make a round trip. Based on coin sized object sitting flat so many factors can cause an inaccurate reading. If I've been misinformed, please correct me!

OP
OP
GrizLeeBear

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As good an answer as any. I really don't know and was hoping someone would. I am very aware of how much the soil you are searching affects readings. Thank you for the input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread