New Garrett AT Pro from Big Boy Hobbies! Detectors cheers and jeers.

Caseman91291

Feb 3, 2013
Faribault County, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased a new Garrett AT Pro from a great little dealer by the name of Big Boy Hobbies! Heard of it? Haha. Great guys over there! Free Lesche digging tool and fast and free shipping sold me on the deal. I am not sponsored by them or anything, I am only saying that they are great to work with and stand by their customers and products. :notworthy:

Anyway, I am just curious if anyone has had any issues with their detector? I have already read the horror stories of false targets and what not but I had to search many different threads to get that information. No offense to anyone else. I would just like to start a discussion of the unit in order to maybe help new AT Pro buyers. So anyone with a story of possible issues or triumphs with the AT Pro feel free to air it here.

Having watched guys like nuggetnoggin and aquachigger and their successful hunts on YouTube I decided I wanted an AT Pro. It is 33 degrees out tonight here in Southern Minnesota which means that the ground is still frozen making the arrival of the AT Pro a much greater event than normal. I needed something to help me hold out until Spring. I received my package in the mail and I was so excited I couldn't contain myself and I immediately ripped open the box like a kid on Christmas morning. It was amazing! I put it together and switched it on and it just went crazy! Haha, I know it isn't meant for indoor use but I just panicked and started searching what was wrong with these detectors. I eventual realized it was all the power and metal sources in the room and it worked perfect outside. Not too interesting but I became curious what everyone else thought of the machine. Having never used it I don't have too much insight into it so here is you chance to let everyone know what you think.

What's your opinion of the Garrett AT Pro? What's its strong suits and weaknesses? What is with the supposed false signaling? What are you success stories? What's you best find using the Pro? :icon_thumright:

images (3).jpg

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
If it has a DD type coil, you will have to learn how to pinpoint with it - the target won't be in the center of the coil, but rather straight form top bottom right down the center of your coil. I find targets by moving 90 degrees from where I was standing and try to find the target again. Also, if the detector does an automatic ground balence (it should unless you can turn off all descrimination), then you need to keep your coil moving (as that's how it was designed to operate).

More about DD vs Concentric coils: DD Coil vs Concentric Search Coils - Hollands Brook

False signaling on any detector is often caused by too much gain (sensitivity) - turn it down.

If this is your first detector, try to find someone who has some detecting experience that can help you while you learn how it works. It should be a very capable detector, once you learn how to use it.

OP
OP
Caseman91291

Caseman91291

Feb 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it has a DD type coil, you will have to learn how to pinpoint with it - the target won't be in the center of the coil, but rather straight form top bottom right down the center of your coil. I find targets by moving 90 degrees from where I was standing and try to find the target again. Also, if the detector does an automatic ground balence (it should unless you can turn off all descrimination), then you need to keep your coil moving (as that's how it was designed to operate).

More about DD vs Concentric coils: DD Coil vs Concentric Search Coils - Hollands Brook

False signaling on any detector is often caused by too much gain (sensitivity) - turn it down.

If this is your first detector, try to find someone who has some detecting experience that can help you while you learn how it works. It should be a very capable detector, once you learn how to use it.

Thanks for the advice! I had a cheap detector for the last two years and I am excited for the season to begin with my new detector. God luck out there!

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
It's a great detector man it will do everything u want it too as long as you put the effort in. It takes time to learn it so I hope you the best

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT pro for almost a year and really like it. I prefer the 5" x 8" coil to the stock 11".

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did have a few issues with the units produced in the first week of 2011 but that was resolved and most affected units were sent back for repair. Other than that I have only heard about minor issues that come up as does any item that is mass produced.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the bid dd coil on the pro because it will pp dead center on a small cent or even a little silver earing in no time without even using the pp button.

werqewrqewrqwer.jpg

OP
OP
Caseman91291

Caseman91291

Feb 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for the advice! I really like the DD coil design. I just wish the ground would thaw out so I could get out out and hunt! I am glad that mine seems to be working well. Does anyone know the serial number where Garrett was having issues? I have tried to find it and the reason or fix that they were doing but couldn't.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rumor has it that it was serial# starting with 511 up to about 516

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I have been chomping at the bit also to get out there this Spring. There is so much history in Faribault County! Especially the waterways. If you're looking for a partner or anything I live in Farmington and have a few sites picked out for this Spring. I also just got an AT Pro last year, but I took summer courses last year and didn't get a chance to use it a whole lot. Shoot me a Pm if you'd like.

Trevor

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Rumor has it that it was serial# starting with 511 up to about 516

What I have heard is that all the series starting in 52 are the ones that have the upgraded motherboard.

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett AT Pro has been in existance since 2010
It Has an 8 digit serial number
The 1st digit is ALWAYS a "5"
The 2nd Digit is the year..."0"=2010,..."1"=2011,...and so on.
The 3rd, and 4th digits represent the "week" of manufacture..."01"=1st week of Jan,..."05"=1st week of Feb,..."52"=last week of Dec.
The rest of the numbers has no bearing for us.

This information was given to me by "Garrett Mfg", located in Texas, on Feb.6,2013
Hope this helps...it did me!

OP
OP
Caseman91291

Caseman91291

Feb 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 3rd, and 4th digits represent the "week" of manufacture..."01"=1st week of Jan,..."05"=1st week of Feb,..."52"=last week of Dec.

This information was given to me by "Garrett Mfg", located in Texas, on Feb.6,2013

Thank you! :notworthy: That is some great information man! I hope that more people can see.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good post. I have one and have not really used it yet as I am still using my old one. All good information.

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So my AT PRO 5304 would be 2013 the fourth week of Jan? corect?

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
i,ve had my at pro for a while now love this detector us pro zero most of the time as it gets deeper alittle nosie but not bad good targets hit hard take some time learn this detector you,ll soon make some great finds it love,s gold rings bottle caps can be a bit troblesome but learn your iron audio it helps watch the garrett at pro traing video,s it will jump start your learning curve they are great well done video,s the at to pros a blast on a hot day take it to the local beach take it for a swim look for lost jewlry cool off and enjoy wish i was out there now instead of froze in here in norther vt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread