Handgun

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
Depending on the detector....but any metal below your knees will cause it to sound off. Get your gun up higher. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea might carry it in my waist, I still found clad only hunted for hour ,thanks kyboy

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must be a pretty crazy park in order for you to feel that it is prudent for you to carry a firearm. Just get yourself the new AK-12 and strap it to your back. Just think how safe you'd feel with an assault rifle stapped to your back in that park.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I went hunting at local park like I do every Monday and I carry my 38 on my ankle would that cause false readings. Detector was going crazy
.... One way to find out take it off and detect without it on you......... Simple answer for a .s....... question.

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't go out without having a handgun on me (unless I'm going somewhere they are prohibited) so I can understand wanting to have it with you. I would suggest simply carrying IWB or in a shoulder harness if you think it's interfering with readings though. Seems like a fairly simple thing to test...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I certainly would not ask the whole detecting world on a matter that is so personal as to where I will wear my sidearm. I carry a Sig 220. A very nice, and expensive sidearm. I chose it well and without the aid of anyone else's advice as I am the only one who must live with the consequence of using the firearm. I also bought a very expensive ($97) highrise holster to carry this firearm based on my needs. I have no inclination to wear my Sig on my ankle as I have carried a firearm both on duty and off duty since '70 and find the ankle is the worse place to carry concealed. It is not concealed when you sit down and is so very far away when you need it most.... in an instant. When the bad guy sees you going for your ankle, I don't think he would expect you are going for a candy bar! Throw that silly ankle holster out and get a hgihrise pancake or shoulder rig. Your life may depend on it. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for spouting. I am VERY concerned how and why I carry. I have been preparing all my life for the ONE time I may need my firearm. I want to get it right the first time . I knew one Milw police officer who kept his in his boot. It got him killed. I don't want to see anyone else make the same mistake. TTC

Last edited:

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
As one of over 350,000 citizens of my state who are licensed to carry a concealed pistol, I frequently avail myself of that right. A great deal of my detecting is done in rather remote areas and, although I've been informed that they mean you no harm, the influx in cougar sightings has encouraged me to not want to appear like a 225 pound of Fancy Feast. A paddle type holster strapped to my belt presents no impediment while detecting. As a certified NRA pistol instructor, I am aware that there are a number of reasons for possessing a firearm and my personal desire, as stated above, is but one which I choose.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hardly ever carry when i leave the house or my yard i ... I live in a very highly wooded area.....The only reason i carry in the yard........... But when i go out i never feel the need to carry............. $(KGrHqV,!hMFC)Lu7NgkBRBMWJt11w~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be a pretty crazy park in order for you to feel that it is prudent for you to carry a firearm. Just get yourself the new AK-12 and strap it to your back. Just think how safe you'd feel with an assault rifle stapped to your back in that park.
Regardless of how "crazy" or safe the park appears, terrible things can happen in any of them. Better to have a weapon and not need it than to need it and not have it.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm retired le and started detecting year this month ,I carry because you never know what's going to happen . I rather be safe then sorry

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can never go wrong being prepared wether it is for your own saftey or to possibly help somebody in trouble.. I have a shoulder holster and it is an excellent way to carry a firearm in my opinion.. They are also very comfortable.. I recieved mine as a gift and did'nt think I would care for it and now I never leave home without it.. As for your detector as long as it's far enough in front of you I don't see why it would be a problem..

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to carry while out. A Smith and Wesson .380 Bodyguard for around town and a Sig P229 in .357 Sig or .40. When out in the woods. Here's a pic of someone that walked through my backyard uninvited while I was out grilling. Him I'm not worried about. They run away....usually. It's the two legged critters that want what you own and don't want to work for it. I use a shoulder holster so no problem with the detector.
16partyandbear073.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, better safe than sorry. I just finished all the necessary paperwork/class for my CCP and plan to carry a Sig P938 once my permit comes in and I'm legal.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
.380 Ruger LCP, made in America by American's by golly.

You could always tape your pistol to the shaft. That way you could use your coil as a long distance sight.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Sig P938 most days. It helps that I am in a very gun friendly state and can carry whatever I want.

I use a Crossbreed holster which I would highly recommend to anybody. 400_mt-1.png

A number of the areas I run are some of the heaviest mountain lion areas in the lower 48. Plus, after almost 14 years riding in a firetruck/ambulance, I can assure you that I would much rather go prepared as opposed to not.

WM

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Keltec P3AT in my pocket. Small, light, and you don't even know it is there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread