Organized US Metal Detecting Trips?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Being from Michigan it is difficult to find sites any older than mid 1800's. Also, there are no war sites to hunt. I really want to find OLD coins and war relics. Are there travel packages or something that would let someone like me hunt Civil War sites or other selected old sites in the US? I thought I heard Any suggestions? I'd like to get something going for next summer to look forward to.

ian

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You do have a ton of old forts,Indian sites and fur trader posts in Michigan. There are unbelievable sites to yet be explored in the state that would yield alot of older coins.

There are several organized hunts a year, some through treasurenet and also through the Federation that would get you to civil war/revolutionary war sites . Usually someone posts far enough in advance a calendar of these events.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what county or parrish do you live in? I can help research some sites for you.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about Fort Detroit? There are many sites here in Michigan and stuff was dropped everywhere between them. There may not be civil war sites but there are sites that go back farther. You just need to do more research on your own and not rely on "planned hunts." Do you really think someone is going to show you what ground to swing your coil over?

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH…
It has taken me 3 months or more to find a town that is only 7 miles from me.
What I should say not the town but the remains of it.

I have been on hunts for old coins and stuff, 3 and 4 hundred miles away and only come home with clad, still happy, but not what I wanted.

So if you go to Civil war sites don’t expect to find what you want…

Just my 2 cents
Good Luck & HH
Joe

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
thanks for the encouragement and advise. I had never really thought about indian sites. In fact I know that there was a large trading post close to where I grew up, its mostly covered with houses now. Plus, I just found out that a Michigan based regiment to the Civil War camped/ trained in this particular park area I know of so maybe there will be some relics there. I just got a Ghost Town book for xmas so I have some leads. What is the oldest coin that anyone has found in Michigan? I am from Saginaw County, Michigan.

ian

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Fort St Joseph was built in 1691 by the French...in the 1890’s a French coin minted in 1692 was found in the vicinity of the current Coloma Township Hall. I dont know if it was the oldest.......................Former La Grange resident Brian Bardy believes the 1669 coin he came across on Kensington Avenue near Ogden Avenue may be evidence of other French artifacts to be found in the area.

Ever since Brian Bardy found some 500-year-old Indian Woodland pottery washed up along Salt Creek behind Our Lady of Bethlehem School in La Grange Park in 1979, he has been unearthing all kinds of area history of the people who walked here centuries before us. The former La Grange resident and local archaeologist has been spending the past three years doing research on a 330-year-old, French copper ``jeton'' coin found just steps away from Ogden Avenue along Kensington Avenue in La Grange. He hopes he someday will be able to tell more about the coin than just its value

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jettons are nice finds but what could be learn't from them ?

Attachments

• scan0005_640x480.jpg
    scan0005_640x480.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 343

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread