One coin pays for detector!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Pete,, dug hundreds of silver coins over the years, countless copper coins too. Yep nickels as well. The few key dates I've got were so mangled they just didn't cut it as sales-worthy. Stil llooking for two big goals: Nice high-end coinage and breaking the 18th century mark. Getting harder to do as the time goes by but I'll get there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v paid for mine at least Three Times, with my finds. BUT no single find . the coin would have to be over a $1000.00 coin

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 1982, I received a White's 1D/B for as a Christmas present. Total cost of the detector was, if I remember correctly, $119.95 back then. One of the first coins I found that year was a 1794 Large cent somewhere between VF and XF condition. Total value of coin back then I think was about $200. Not bad for a 12 year. Still have the coin and today, depending on who you ask, its worth anywheres from $1,600 to $3,750.

A few years later, my dad bought me a used White's 6000 DI. Shortly after getting the new/used detector, I found an 1871 Indian head in XF condition, which again, paid for the used detector. This is also my favorite find, because as a teenager back then, it put me one step closer to having a complete set of Indian heads, and it was found while detecting with my favorite partner, my dad.

Anthony

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably found several coins that might fit that catagory, but i've never had my coins apraised.
If you follow the link on my profile you can see many of the early Roman colonial coins dug in Spain, some are worth a
great deal while others are not so much. But the truth is, I've spent so much money on machines and excesaries over the
years that it makes it a mute point.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
If I could get more than $5.00 for a grungy Merc Dime, it would pay for an old Whites coin shooter I bought at a yard sale a couple of years age. Coin shooter didn't work either.

W

wepc

My first time out with my used Minelab 1800 that I paid $250, I found a nugget.
The nugget is not worth $250, but it made the detector worth every penny.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1809 Liberty cap dime that looks like XF-40 or better which is about $925.00.

Token currently being investigated by experts, which could be worth considerably more than my detector - if it turns out as rare as I think it might be.

Both were found in the last year after many years of MD'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions