dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In other posts on T-Net I've read over and over again that the show American Diggers (Not BOOM BABY) is ruining our sport...but where's the evidence of that?

So here's the challenge:

Show this thread actual evidence that the show is trashing the sport.....I'm talking actual links from the web, news articles, magazine articles, etc, etc,.....

This thread is NOT ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS OF THE SHOW.

It is about HARD evidence that the show is directly related to ruining our sport of Metal Detecting. Stories of how you got kicked off a property don't count....I can make one of those up too.

Upvote 0

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Well... Does Honey Boo Boo make our mothers and daughters pethetic? Does the Kardasians make us all petty, distasteful, and seek dates with different races?
Maybe not- But the turd of a show- American Diggers (aka, Savage Family Diggers) does grandise the hobby to people who have no interest or knowledge of the hobby before seeing the shows. By sporting it for pure profit- this leads newbies into the hobby for no other reason- than to find some lost loot which they dig with no consideration to the ground, landowner, or the hobby...

It also makes owners of pawnshops, town museums, and little mom and pop antique stores look like idiots with a ton of cash to waste of rusted junk. (BTW- I live next to one of the sites in LA and detected it many times- the owner verified that a number of the items were "found" somewhere else by someone else and "re-found" to make one of the shows here near New Orleans.)

Proof- depends on what you call proof--- what I do see is a bunch of new guys with wal-mart detectors digging big holes in the parks and ball fields and not covering them back up and leaving pull tabs and crumpled sharp canslaw laying on the ground beside the hole- now more than anytime in the past 10 years.

All the above listed shows and nearly every other reality show - are in thier own little ways making the world a Worse place. Knawing away at civility. Please- please join me in turning off the TV when these shows come on- and if Nielson's calls you about it- please-please tell them you do not watch them anymore!
PEACE

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even the police in that show were actors...they have/had their own ghost hunting reality show. Savage Family is crap. Diggers is acceptible, albeit dumb, I can live with it. Is either going to ruin the hobby (not a sport), no. Most watching that really care already dig. The rest of the world watching are mostly sedintary and get their thrills from watching other people work hard at what they do...they will never get off the couch and get involved in any significant level...at least the percentages of those that do will be negligible...

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In other posts on T-Net I've read over and over again that the show American Diggers (Not BOOM BABY) is ruining our sport...but where's the evidence of that?

So here's the challenge:

Show this thread actual evidence that the show is trashing the sport.....I'm talking actual links from the web, news articles, magazine articles, etc, etc,.....

This thread is NOT ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS OF THE SHOW.

It is about HARD evidence that the show is directly related to ruining our sport of Metal Detecting. Stories of how you got kicked off a property don't count....I can make one of those up too.

Funny you should say that. Because all it takes is for one idiot to call their representative and make up a story about how they have been harassed by or have had to intervene to keep someone from digging up the local graveyard or war memorial. And there are people that do just this sort of thing to feel self important. It happens all the time. One bad example on television seen by that type is the impression of our sport left on them. That is all they have is TV and their delusion that they are making the world a better place by constantly complaining. I once had to contact my representative. He told me that he has the same HUNDREDS of people that call him 3-5-10 times a week with "ideas" that will make ours a better state. The problem he said is that they also do the same to local governing bodies anonymously. So 1 guy can now become ten.
It isn't a society that is ruled by the will of the majority. We are a society that is ruled by the majority who PARTICIPATE. This is our hobby, that is theirs.

OP
OP
dougofpa

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... Does Honey Boo Boo make our mothers and daughters pethetic? Does the Kardasians make us all petty, distasteful, and seek dates with different races?
Maybe not- But the turd of a show- American Diggers (aka, Savage Family Diggers) does grandise the hobby to people who have no interest or knowledge of the hobby before seeing the shows. By sporting it for pure profit- this leads newbies into the hobby for no other reason- than to find some lost loot which they dig with no consideration to the ground, landowner, or the hobby...

It also makes owners of pawnshops, town museums, and little mom and pop antique stores look like idiots with a ton of cash to waste of rusted junk. (BTW- I live next to one of the sites in LA and detected it many times- the owner verified that a number of the items were "found" somewhere else by someone else and "re-found" to make one of the shows here near New Orleans.)

Proof- depends on what you call proof--- what I do see is a bunch of new guys with wal-mart detectors digging big holes in the parks and ball fields and not covering them back up and leaving pull tabs and crumpled sharp canslaw laying on the ground beside the hole- now more than anytime in the past 10 years.

All the above listed shows and nearly every other reality show - are in thier own little ways making the world a Worse place. Knawing away at civility. Please- please join me in turning off the TV when these shows come on- and if Nielson's calls you about it- please-please tell them you do not watch them anymore!
PEACE

So T.V. is the reason....come on man....think about it.

How many hits do meal detectors get on Youtube? I would have to guess MILLIONS and MILLIONS of viewers
How many of us see metal dectectors on the beach in the summer...A LOT..think about how many people visit Ocean City,MD or Miami Beach.
How many kids go to the beach on vacation and see metal detectors in use?..A LOT
What about all the advertising that goes on not associated with T.V....Like billboards, newspapers, magazines, Internet....
What about all the people who visit T-Net who are not members and see all the "Banner" finds....makes you want to start metal detecting if you ask me.
Look at what people post on here when they find something really unique or worth some money....Alot of people who never detected see that and think its easy and profitable...so they go buy a cheap detector

I would think that the show diggers really has nothing to do with the "down-ward spiral" of metal detecting.

Maybe its us..everyone of us....when we are out detecting anywhere and people see us doing it..and think that looks like fun...maybe I should try it...and they have no idea what they are doing....this is when it makes us look bad....but to say its directly related to T.V. shows is a little absurd.

OP
OP
dougofpa

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1more4me

You said that you see holes not be covered up and pulltabs near the holes at the areas you hunt...Right?

Did you ever think that you yourself might have ruined the ballfield or the park that you are hunting in?

Maybe someone that never thought about dectecting or wanted to..saw you there and watched you...and they thought to themselves...that guy looks like he knows what he is doing..and he wouldn't be here if he wasn't finding stuff of interest.

So a few weeks or months later..the guy that was watching you....went out and bought a cheap detector and decided to go to the same ballfields and parks where he saw you and maybe others metal detecting and gave it a try......and it all stems from you out enjoying a hobby in which you care about.....and this guy....well remember....its his first couple times out..so he doesn't know the rules about filling holes in...or he simply doesn't care and is getting pissed, cause all he is finding is pulltabs.

Nah....that example above never happens....IT MUST BE T.V.....NO WAIT........HAS TO BE T.V.....Its just human nature to blame everyone but ourselves...me included.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1more4me

You said that you see holes not be covered up and pulltabs near the holes at the areas you hunt...Right?

Did you ever think that you yourself might have ruined the ballfield or the park that you are hunting in?

Maybe someone that never thought about dectecting or wanted to..saw you there and watched you...and they thought to themselves...that guy looks like he knows what he is doing..and he wouldn't be here if he wasn't finding stuff of interest.

So a few weeks or months later..the guy that was watching you....went out and bought a cheap detector and decided to go to the same ballfields and parks where he saw you and maybe others metal detecting and gave it a try......and it all stems from you out enjoying a hobby in which you care about.....and this guy....well remember....its his first couple times out..so he doesn't know the rules about filling holes in...or he simply doesn't care and is getting pissed, cause all he is finding is pulltabs.

Nah....that example above never happens....IT MUST BE T.V.....NO WAIT........HAS TO BE T.V.....Its just human nature to blame everyone but ourselves...me included.

Very Prudent and relevant post Doug. Ghandi said "we need to be the change we seek". So maybe that day instead of just detecting, we do some maintenance. Pick up the trash and fill the holes. And when someone see us and asks we tell them what we are doing. After all how much trouble will it be? The work is half done for us. They have dug the tab we would have, all we have to do is fill the hole. At first it seems like a chore. But in reality, we would have dug that tab.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Doug, you will never find the HARD evidence you ask for because you will not accept the word of fellow detectorist. You see their word as being as good as yours which is written on the wind. I have the proof if you care to have it posted. Frank

111-1 profileRED.jpg

OP
OP
dougofpa

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, you will never find the HARD evidence you ask for because you will not accept the word of fellow detectorist. You see their word as being as good as yours which is written on the wind. I have the proof if you care to have it posted. Frank

View attachment 744205

I am simply stating this: We that metal detect, maybe ruining the hobby in which we all care very deeply about. Facebook, myspace, youtube, banner finds on tnet, etc, etc.....The list goes on and on.....

we are all contributing factors to either improving our hobby and getting others interested or as the guy mentioned above...seeing big holes dug and not being filled in and pulltabs laying beside the holes in parks and ball fields in which he hunts.

To say that diggers is the reason and no other reason is extremely far fetched.

Post your evidence....but I believe that your post will be one very small example...compared to Social media, Internet, youtube, I believe the people that start metal detecting have seen more exposure through the internet and seeing us in the field than seeing a show on t.v. and then deciding to go metal detecting.

Just my two cents worth...and yes I do accept others opinions and "word"....but you need to accept others opinions as well....you seem to question others on here too...but you approach differently than I do.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am simply stating this: We that metal detect, maybe ruining the hobby in which we all care very deeply about. Facebook, myspace, youtube, banner finds on tnet, etc, etc.....The list goes on and on.....

we are all contributing factors to either improving our hobby and getting others interested or as the guy mentioned above...seeing big holes dug and not being filled in and pulltabs laying beside the holes in parks and ball fields in which he hunts.

To say that diggers is the reason and no other reason is extremely far fetched.

Post your evidence....but I believe that your post will be one very small example...compared to Social media, Internet, youtube, I believe the people that start metal detecting have seen more exposure through the internet and seeing us in the field than seeing a show on t.v. and then deciding to go metal detecting.

Just my two cents worth...and yes I do accept others opinions and "word"....but you need to accept others opinions as well....you seem to question others on here too...but you approach differently than I do.

I agree. I have always had a "curiosity" and an inquisitive nature that directly lends itself to Metal Detecting. Diggers didn't turn me on to Digging, it merely rekindled that old interest. People who do not have that interest will not bother researching it, or watching it. There are far too many channels of crap on the tv to choose from (Pink Floyd Reference). It is when they see us LIVE and in action at the parks and beaches that they take notice. That is what gets them interested. Because it makes that connection in their mind that there must be something of value there, or we wouldn't be. If they see us trashing the place or leaving open holes it leaves a negative impression in their minds, or for the ones who become curious it gives them their first look at how it is done. And we all know about first impressions right? I do. I was 28 before I got married.....

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
1more4me

...IT MUST BE T.V.....NO WAIT........HAS TO BE T.V.....Its just human nature to blame everyone but ourselves...me included.

Doug of PA and 302 Guy,
I never said or implied it was only TV, I just grouped American Diggers in with other trash TV. The difference is---if the guy that sees me detecting- comes to talk to me- I'll tell him all about it. Show him how to do it, and explain the ethics and the RIGHT way of doing it. I do this all the time! If I meet them there and make conversation and I see they need instruction- I offer it. If I find them in the process of leaving holes- I scold and educate- but as I said, here lately- way way more of it is happening, and they often talk about what got them interested.

American diggers does none of that! They exploit the owners, the hobby, and the finds for the $$$ Value of it only, and has never once showed any thing related to - HOW to dig a good Plug, How the detectors works, How to ask permission (other than- hey, let us rape your ground and we'll give ya some money 20/80, no 50/50, no, come on 40/60.) They are All about the $$$ and drama They HAVE to dig xxx$$$ in order to make a profit on thier trips!<---- trash TV.

And I fully agree- there are a billion ways to be introduced in to the hobby and 999 million of them are BETTER than Mr. Savage and his teams introduction! TV is a reflection of our country as a whole- I liked the reflection better when Andy Griffin and Little house on the Prarie were weekly and MASH was the new edgy comedy... But hey, you may see your reflection better now than ever. Heck, some people these days actually believe guns are bad and it has nothing to do with the criminal holding it.- so just add this to the pile of mess we agree to disagree on...
PEACE

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not bashing you man. I agree that it is trash TV, not an accurate portrayal of the sport and not sending a good message. I just don't think that people who aren't interested in the hobby to begin with are as likely to watch it. As I said, I had an interest when I was younger. All the show Diggers did was reignite that interest. If it wasn't for that I would have changed the channel. I think that the damage to the sport will come from US as a group, and a community when people see us out in the parks or on the beaches. Most people don't equate Reality TV with Actuality...regardless of what the commercial says. You are just extra sensitive to the issue because it affects you directly, and rightly so. We need to always be aware of the image we project in everything we do. And that goes for everything. The Samurai called it "Right Action", in this sport we call it common sense. And nowadays the majority of people will research something, they'll find their way here or another forum...they will realize that American Diggers is wrong in a lot of ways. But the irresponsible ones? You can't teach common sense. You can train for aptitude, but not attitude. Just do your best to project a good image on the sport, and teach others to do the same and we'll be ok. The Savage Family... they will be gone in no time. They always disappear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread