Question on the Bounty Hunter 505

terribob

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello....Is it best to hunt in all metal mode over discrimination mode?....I've had this detector for a short time...I noticed that in the discrimination mode I will get a hit and then I switch it back to all metal and I will detect a long object, lets say... definitely not a coin...basically what I'm asking is it best to just dig up everything? or go with the discriminating mode and dig only those hits? Hope this makes sense. thank you...Bob

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes dig everything till you know what to detector is telling you....try both mode`s ....clean out your yard....and practice your plugs and holes

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto what G.A.P. Metal said. And it depends on what your looking for. I have a bounty hunter also. If I'm looking for coins, I use one of the disc. modes. When I get a good signal that I think I want to dig, I switch to all metal to determine size. If it's coin size I pin point in all metal and dig. But like G.A.P. said if you don't dig it you don't know what you missed.

OP
OP
T

terribob

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both....that was my thinking....the tones seem to tell the tale...I just need to keep at it...I've only been out about 3 times so far....I have a good spot here where I live....we live in my wife's grandfathers farm house built 103 years ago...the best thing I have found so far was an old Model T hub cap or dust cap...the logo was still good but the cap part wasn't in good shape...fun to think about that old car being here...lots of other stuff...mostly junk....no old coins yet.....I was detecting the other day and marked a few spots....i'm waiting on a pin pointer i ordered....not a top of the line one...but i believe this will be helpful from what I'm reading.....thanx again

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
I still have a 505 as a back up and think it works great. What I did was use a lot of discrimination the first pass of my yard and as I Metal detected each time I would decrease the discrimination and now I feel like I have really covered my yard well. This was a place I could hit time after time. I think I have dug everything in my yard, and most of my neighbors. Good luck

a day without pull tabs is like a day without sunshine.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 505 has greater depth in A.M. but I only use this mode when it’s not trashy ground or it will drive you crazy. It also depends on what I’m looking for. Seems to me A.M. works better for relics and such and Discrimination works better for coins and jewelry. In trashy areas I run in Discrimination mode but turned all the way down. This should detect everything (junk as well as good targets). When you hit a target, note depth and what the machine is telling you target might be. A good target should have a solid tone and repeating info being shown. A signal that jumps around as far as type of find and depth has usually turned up as junk for me. You can then pull off target, turn to A.M. and be sure to ground balance detector over ground with no metal in it, then go back to target and pinpoint it. Through trial and error I have found hunting like this proves OK for coin and silver but you have to watch the low tones (gold n nickles) cause you could mistake these for trash if you don’t learn how you detector picks up on them. You have to decide for yourself to dig or not. I haven’t mastered when to dig the lower tones so if I get them I still dig them all. Best thing to do is dig a lot of targets and remember what the 505 has told you about them before you did.
I have the stock 4” and 8-1/2” coils that came with the detector. I just bought a DD8”x11” and have run it only a few times. It definitely give greater depth and pinpoints well. Gone over ground that I’ve detected at least three times and pulled coins and a junk ring from same area. All targets were six to eight inches avg. The ring was at 9”. The DD is kind of pricey but I don’t plan on buying a different detector any time soon so I’m happy.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advise....^^^^^^^

Get use to what you have.....A person that knows his machine, being a 100$ one or more will find and do better than a new 1500$ machine in the hands of a Newb...lol but that is the truth...peace

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terribob

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

I still have a 505 as a back up and think it works great. What I did was use a lot of discrimination the first pass of my yard and as I Metal detected each time I would decrease the discrimination and now I feel like I have really covered my yard well. This was a place I could hit time after time. I think I have dug everything in my yard, and most of my neighbors. Good luck

a day without pull tabs is like a day without sunshine.

OP
OP
T

terribob

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the details....appreciate it....I have the 4 and the 8.5 also...have kept the 4 on lately....haven't used it much but I do hear what you are saying about the tones....thanks, again

My 505 has greater depth in A.M. but I only use this mode when it’s not trashy ground or it will drive you crazy. It also depends on what I’m looking for. Seems to me A.M. works better for relics and such and Discrimination works better for coins and jewelry. In trashy areas I run in Discrimination mode but turned all the way down. This should detect everything (junk as well as good targets). When you hit a target, note depth and what the machine is telling you target might be. A good target should have a solid tone and repeating info being shown. A signal that jumps around as far as type of find and depth has usually turned up as junk for me. You can then pull off target, turn to A.M. and be sure to ground balance detector over ground with no metal in it, then go back to target and pinpoint it. Through trial and error I have found hunting like this proves OK for coin and silver but you have to watch the low tones (gold n nickles) cause you could mistake these for trash if you don’t learn how you detector picks up on them. You have to decide for yourself to dig or not. I haven’t mastered when to dig the lower tones so if I get them I still dig them all. Best thing to do is dig a lot of targets and remember what the 505 has told you about them before you did.
I have the stock 4” and 8-1/2” coils that came with the detector. I just bought a DD8”x11” and have run it only a few times. It definitely give greater depth and pinpoints well. Gone over ground that I’ve detected at least three times and pulled coins and a junk ring from same area. All targets were six to eight inches avg. The ring was at 9”. The DD is kind of pricey but I don’t plan on buying a different detector any time soon so I’m happy.

OP
OP
T

terribob

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir.....sounds good....

Very good advise....^^^^^^^

Get use to what you have.....A person that knows his machine, being a 100$ one or more will find and do better than a new 1500$ machine in the hands of a Newb...lol but that is the truth...peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread