Upvote 0

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I notice my pointer will sometimes beep at me if pressure is applied to the tip. Anyone else experienced this?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is supposed to beep on side hits. This is so that when you stick it in a hole and the object is embedded to the side, you will get a hit. Some people feel this is a weakness for this pin-pointer. The little instruction booklet tells how to use it in this way.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrizLeeBear said:
It is supposed to beep on side hits. This is so that when you stick it in a hole and the object is embedded to the side, you will get a hit. Some people feel this is a weakness for this pin-pointer. The little instruction booklet tells how to use it in this way.

I know it's supposed to beep on the side but is it supposed to do it that much? I don't know maybe I just need better batteries...

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just call Garrett.

I had a pro pointer purchased last may and it worked for few months then start flaking out some. It would only detect when it was almost touching the object, then if I opened it up put the battery back in it would work normal for a few minutes than do it again, I changed batteries a few times but I could tell it wasn't right. Then one day it just stuck making a noise. I Called and sent it in( I paid about $4 postage) They sent it back and it worked for a few weeks then same issue with not having a normal range, I called again and sent it in(Paid postage again). This time they sent back a brand new pointerand it has seemed to work fine the few times I used it, but the season still hasn't started here yet.

On my original one, I also found it would beep when I but pressure on the tip, I don't know if that is normal and not sure if my replacement one does that.

Customer service is good at Garrett, but both times there was about a 2 week turn around.

HH,

Pete

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's fine if its the same as all of yours but it just seems weird....I've had it for pretty long now so I don't know why I just noticed it :P

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try replacing the batteries if it is acting strange. My original set that came with the pinpointer only lasted a a week or so and then the propointer went crazy, sounding off at nothing. Couldn't hurt to check them.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pro-pointer is messing up, the side beeps at about the same distance as the tip now! The pics are when it starts to beep

Is there a way I can send this to garrett and have them fix it? Thanks

This is normal Propointer operation and benificial. You use the tip to pinpoint the target in the bottom of the plug, but the side detection helps when sweeping the sides of your plug.
Its also great for a coin spill. I just sweep the side of my PP on the ground to locate multiple surface targets. One can only imagine how hard it would be to find them if only the tip detected.

If you start getting depth on the side and almost none on the tip, then you have a problem.

peanutman

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
turn it on hold the power button again after it is turned on until it gives a rapped set of beeps then let go of the power button. it is a manual reset to original factory setting. this needs to be done and it will solve your problem.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everybody else said. Your propointer is working properly. Mine works great, but I got in the habit of using it with my left hand. I read a tip that gives you some more distance when using it. I slide my wedding ring finger down the pointer until it starts to vibrate and back off just a little. This will give you another inch or so of detection. Works for me. Good luck hunting.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a tendency of grabbing fists of dirt to check with either the pointer or the Ace 350 and forget sometimes that I'm wearing my ring. You would think I would learn after a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread