Old school house

P

Pistol_Pete

Today I went to an old school site to hunt, the foundation is all that remains and it is grown up with high grass and saplings. The places we could get to only produced old cans and scrap metal. My question is, will this site be worth spending several hundred dollars in clean up. It will need two or three days of chainsaw and brushhog work to be able to effectively hunt it. I know the school was closed in the 40's an used for 50 years, so it has history. On the other hand my time might be better spent hunting other locations. I welcome anyones advice or experience with old school sites.

Upvote 0

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have found some good stuff at old school sites but dont think I would invest that kind of money into it untill I did a little scouting first. Just go out and detect some of the places that you can get to and see what you come up with first. Good luck

OP
OP
P

Pistol_Pete

privet12 said:
I have found some good stuff at old school sites but dont think I would invest that kind of money into it untill I did a little scouting first. Just go out and detect some of the places that you can get to and see what you come up with first. Good luck

That is the problem, I detected all of the spot I could get to in 10 minutes. The site is grown up so that the coil can get no closer than 6 inches to the soil.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pistol Pete
That is a hard decision to make, but I would clear part of the area and if the finds tell you it might be worth cleaning it up for a full fledge attack then I would invest the time into it. My two TH'ing buddies use rakes for a half hour prior to turning our detectors on. We rake all the leaves, branches, and anything else out of an area then search it to death. Like a school house we are searching a Union encampment where we know lots of items were lost and we plan to find as many of them as possible. :-) So far the finds have been great and we are still finding items a year later. I would sure give it a try and see what turns up.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pistol_Pete said:
privet12 said:
I have found some good stuff at old school sites but don't think I would invest that kind of money into it until I did a little scouting first. Just go out and detect some of the places that you can get to and see what you come up with first. Good luck

That is the problem, I detected all of the spot I could get to in 10 minutes. The site is grown up so that the coil can get no closer than 6 inches to the soil.

Try using a much smaller coil if possible. I have a 4 inch round coil that I use for areas like that. I then hunt in all metal pinpoint mode so I do not have to swing the coil. If this is possible for you, I would reccomend trying it.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
I'd have to share TH4CSA's ideas. Clean it up a little, not spending 100's of dollars, then swing with a smaller
coil if you have one.

You will most likely have to dig a substantial amount of trash anywhere to find the good stuff though. ;)

HH

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Take a little time, rent, buy, or borrow a weedwhacker/brush trimmer. Take what visible garbage you can and make a generous donation to your local landfill. Then clean up the spots you fell will be most productive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread