New to metal detecting . What would be best brand??????

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Prepare for a million different answers! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest you check into any local clubs you might have in your area. The members would have a better feel for what works good in your soil and conditions. If Your avatar is you, you won't have any problem finding a hunting partner! :tongue3:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those who have a White will suggest that and those who have a Garrett will suggest that and so on. We all made our choice and are sticking to it. I use a Garrett and am happy. When you shop, test the way the MD's feel in you hand. Is it balanced? Does the screen make sense to you? I think the Garretts are user friendly. I know those with other brands will say the same about their's. In the end, the decision is yours. I won't put any machine down, especially if I have not used it.

Once you get it, practice, practice, practice. Learn the songs that machine sings to you.

Last edited:

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just went through researching lots and lots of different detectors. The members here are very helpful, but you need to consider:

*price range
*soil conditions where you live
*what type of hunting (coins, relics, beach, all)
*LCD screen or not.
*Learning curve of the detector (how hard it is to use)

I defer to the smart folks here, but these are a few things to consider when buying one. I can PM you a contact where I got one (one of the sponsors to this forum if you want it). Good luck!

Last edited:

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went through researching lots and lots of different detectors. The members here are very helpful, but you need to consider:

*price range
*soil conditions where you live
*what type of hunting (coins, relics, beach, all)
*LCD screen or not.
*Learning curve of the detector (how hard it is to use)

I defer to the smart folks here, but these are a few things to consider when buying one. I can PM you a contact where I got one (one of the sponsors to this forum if you want it). Good luck!

What do people mean soil type. There's, sand, and dirt. Wet, dry. :/ explain to me? New to detectin

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do people mean soil type. There's, sand, and dirt. Wet, dry. :/ explain to me? New to detectin

In Virginia, where I am, soild can be highly mineralized. A machine with manual ground balance can help to counteract that. :occasion14:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is desert sand, desert sand and rocks, sandy soil, beach sand and wet beach sand with salt in it. Each can have a different effect on the way the detector reacts with a find. Then you get into clay and other forms of loam and soil. There are metal detectors that are good in dry desert sand that would not do as well in wet beach sand. I think if you read the various posts here you will see there are a number of people who have more than one detecor. This is not only several within a brand name, but a White for one thing and a Garrett for some other purpose. Some even carry multiple coils for different purposes. It is best to start with one all around unit and then learn from there. Then we get into how a penny in sand for fifty years will react different from a penny in wet sand for fifty years. Take your time. There is a lot to learn. First define where you will hunt and then come back with specific questions.

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it all depends on how much you have to spend on one and what type of hunting your going to be doing just stay away from the cheap ones like you find at wal-mart they will find stuff but not what you want to find white's are a good detector garrett's are good there is alot of good detectors out there. i hunt with a white's coinmaster pro they weigh 2 1/2 pounds. i like mine find a lot of coins and relics with it. good luck on picking out a detector and happy hunting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basalt lava rock is the worst
be sides black sand known as magnetite were gold is found..
I'm a white's fan sweet home Oregon
TDI pulse scan is what your after
a little spend y but you will have the best.
no-then come close to it
for the price you will find stuff the others mist.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome From White Plains, New York!

Minelab GPX 5000 - Good Luck! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Terryscanoworms.jpg
    Terryscanoworms.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 152

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start with a Garrett AT Pro. Great price, great detector, great fun.

OP
OP
hblovenlife

hblovenlife

Dec 29, 2011
southern, wv
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice . Is it a good idea to buy a used one? Where would be a good place to find one ?
Thanks Hannah Jo :)

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is relics you are after you really don't need a detector with all the bells and whistles such as visual target ID. Most of these are to help find coins and jewelry without having to dig the iron, lead and things like that. If you are relic hunting, those are the kind of targets you will be looking for. I would say a simple machine would be the best bet. A Tesoro Cibola if your ground is not very mineralized, if it is then the Tesoro Vaquero with manual ground balance would be a good choice.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I mainly hunt for relics and all the comments are true. There is nothing wrong with buying used if you can find one in great shape and someone trustworthy. I bought the White's TDI (used) just for relic hunting at the DIV hunts in Virginia. At the last hunt in November I was digging bullets 18" deep with nice loud tones. Some great relic machines are the TDI, MXT and MXT PRO, F75, T2, AT PRO, Tesoro just to list a few. The GPX are probably the best but have a very high price tag and I feel the TDI is just as good. Which ever machine you get just take the time to learn it. Every machine has a learning curve and takes time to really master it.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
New to metal detecting and would love to get into relic hunting. What would you suggest for a beginner ?
Thanks Hannah

I have done OK with Tesoro Stingray since 2005. HH Boris 2012-01-27 11.05.21.jpg
20130222_112827.jpg 20130222_112827.jpg better? 20130222_112827.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks for all the advice . Is it a good idea to buy a used one? Where would be a good place to find one ?
Thanks Hannah Jo :)
Good detectors last. I am using a Whites XLT that is 12 years old and it is as good as any of the new general purpose detectors. I can find large targets at 2' and rings at 8"to 10" depending on ring. You can use it turn on and go in any of the programs like coins and Jewelry or prospecting or you can adjust anything in it's computer. It pinpoints dead center. The readout screen gives you a good idea of whats down there. You would have to pay about $300 to get one. Check the for sale section here on T Net, E Bay, etc. The thing is you can get a "starter" detector or an older "top of the line" detector for close to the same price. Whatever you do, GET A GOOD BRAND detector, Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, etc.
Good luck Hannah..........................Frank

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good detectors last. I am using a Whites XLT that is 12 years old and it is as good as any of the new general purpose detectors. I can find large targets at 2' and rings at 8"to 10" depending on ring. You can use it turn on and go in any of the programs like coins and Jewelry or prospecting or you can adjust anything in it's computer. It pinpoints dead center. The readout screen gives you a good idea of whats down there. You would have to pay about $300 to get one. Check the for sale section here on T Net, E Bay, etc. The thing is you can get a "starter" detector or an older "top of the line" detector for close to the same price. Whatever you do, GET A GOOD BRAND detector, Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, etc.
Good luck Hannah..........................Frank

View attachment 746057

Frankn...heres a surprise....I actually agree with you on this one.

Hannah....Check out youtube and type in the detectors listed above...it should help you decide on which type of detector to buy....dont buy a "beep and dig" cheap detector.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you talk mostly about relic hunting, you're going to dig most targets anyway. With this in mind, I'd look at the Tesoro Vaquero or Tesoro Tejon. I think you should have a detector you can ground balance. They are lightweight and pretty deep. Contact the forum sponsors like Bart at Big Boy Hobbies, Rich at Backwoods Detectors, or Chuck at Indian Nations and discuss your wants and needs and see about packaging a Garrett pro-pointer in the deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread