Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New to metal detecting . What would be best brand??????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2011
    southern, wv
    Whites spectrum xlt
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question New to metal detecting . What would be best brand??????

New to metal detecting and would love to get into relic hunting. What would you suggest for a beginner ?
    Thanks Hannah

us
    Retired Air Force E-8

Aug 2012
    Columbus, Ms.
    Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
    302 times
    Coin Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Prepare for a million different answers!
    "If it's not where you're looking, look someplace else!"

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1277 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I'd suggest you check into any local clubs you might have in your area. The members would have a better feel for what works good in your soil and conditions. If Your avatar is you, you won't have any problem finding a hunting partner!

us
    Jan 2013
    Full Time In An RV
    Garrett GTI 1500
    377 times
    Metal Detecting
    Those who have a White will suggest that and those who have a Garrett will suggest that and so on. We all made our choice and are sticking to it. I use a Garrett and am happy. When you shop, test the way the MD's feel in you hand. Is it balanced? Does the screen make sense to you? I think the Garretts are user friendly. I know those with other brands will say the same about their's. In the end, the decision is yours. I won't put any machine down, especially if I have not used it.

Once you get it, practice, practice, practice. Learn the songs that machine sings to you.
    Last edited by GrizLeeBear; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Pulltab Parson likes this.
    Ten years ago the USA had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now the USA has no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Fisher F4 Garret Pro Pointer Lesche Digger
    31 times
    Relic Hunting
    I just went through researching lots and lots of different detectors. The members here are very helpful, but you need to consider:

*price range
    *soil conditions where you live
    *what type of hunting (coins, relics, beach, all)
    *LCD screen or not.
    *Learning curve of the detector (how hard it is to use)

I defer to the smart folks here, but these are a few things to consider when buying one. I can PM you a contact where I got one (one of the sponsors to this forum if you want it). Good luck!
    Last edited by Skinsfan; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
    A village called, they lost their idiot...

us
    Aug 2012
    New England
    470 times
    Coin Roll Hunting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan View Post
    I just went through researching lots and lots of different detectors. The members here are very helpful, but you need to consider:

*price range
    *soil conditions where you live
    *what type of hunting (coins, relics, beach, all)
    *LCD screen or not.
    *Learning curve of the detector (how hard it is to use)

I defer to the smart folks here, but these are a few things to consider when buying one. I can PM you a contact where I got one (one of the sponsors to this forum if you want it). Good luck!
    What do people mean soil type. There's, sand, and dirt. Wet, dry. :/ explain to me? New to detectin

us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Fisher F4 Garret Pro Pointer Lesche Digger
    31 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickaboag View Post
    What do people mean soil type. There's, sand, and dirt. Wet, dry. :/ explain to me? New to detectin
    In Virginia, where I am, soild can be highly mineralized. A machine with manual ground balance can help to counteract that.
    A village called, they lost their idiot...

us
    Jan 2013
    Full Time In An RV
    Garrett GTI 1500
    377 times
    Metal Detecting
    There is desert sand, desert sand and rocks, sandy soil, beach sand and wet beach sand with salt in it. Each can have a different effect on the way the detector reacts with a find. Then you get into clay and other forms of loam and soil. There are metal detectors that are good in dry desert sand that would not do as well in wet beach sand. I think if you read the various posts here you will see there are a number of people who have more than one detecor. This is not only several within a brand name, but a White for one thing and a Garrett for some other purpose. Some even carry multiple coils for different purposes. It is best to start with one all around unit and then learn from there. Then we get into how a penny in sand for fifty years will react different from a penny in wet sand for fifty years. Take your time. There is a lot to learn. First define where you will hunt and then come back with specific questions.
    Last edited by GrizLeeBear; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Ten years ago the USA had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now the USA has no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

us
    Jan 2013
    fayette county wv
    Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    it all depends on how much you have to spend on one and what type of hunting your going to be doing just stay away from the cheap ones like you find at wal-mart they will find stuff but not what you want to find white's are a good detector garrett's are good there is alot of good detectors out there. i hunt with a white's coinmaster pro they weigh 2 1/2 pounds. i like mine find a lot of coins and relics with it. good luck on picking out a detector and happy hunting
    liftloop likes this.

us
    May 2008
    lakelinden mi
    MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
    334 times
    basalt lava rock is the worst
    be sides black sand known as magnetite were gold is found..
    I'm a white's fan sweet home Oregon
    TDI pulse scan is what your after
    a little spend y but you will have the best.
    no-then come close to it
    for the price you will find stuff the others mist.
    Last edited by liftloop; Feb 21, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    I hate to discriminate but some times you have too!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting

Wink Welcome From White Plains, New York!

Minelab GPX 5000 - Good Luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terryscanoworms.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	745807  
    gleaner1 likes this.

us
    Link's Clone

Dec 2012
    WA State
    Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
    103 times
    Prospecting
    Start with a Garrett AT Pro. Great price, great detector, great fun.

us
    Dec 2011
    southern, wv
    Whites spectrum xlt
    29 times
    Thanks for all the advice . Is it a good idea to buy a used one? Where would be a good place to find one ?
    Thanks Hannah Jo
    Tnmountains likes this.

Dec 2006
    111 times
    If it is relics you are after you really don't need a detector with all the bells and whistles such as visual target ID. Most of these are to help find coins and jewelry without having to dig the iron, lead and things like that. If you are relic hunting, those are the kind of targets you will be looking for. I would say a simple machine would be the best bet. A Tesoro Cibola if your ground is not very mineralized, if it is then the Tesoro Vaquero with manual ground balance would be a good choice.

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    White's MXT PRO with 10x12 SEF coil, White's TDI, Garrett AT GOLD
    168 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I mainly hunt for relics and all the comments are true. There is nothing wrong with buying used if you can find one in great shape and someone trustworthy. I bought the White's TDI (used) just for relic hunting at the DIV hunts in Virginia. At the last hunt in November I was digging bullets 18" deep with nice loud tones. Some great relic machines are the TDI, MXT and MXT PRO, F75, T2, AT PRO, Tesoro just to list a few. The GPX are probably the best but have a very high price tag and I feel the TDI is just as good. Which ever machine you get just take the time to learn it. Every machine has a learning curve and takes time to really master it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors