Never hunt with Jewelry on! $@&*!

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Never hunt with Jewelry on! $@&*!

So...I go out for a quick "lunch" hunt. I am wearing my favorite ring that I have found this year. Keep in mind, I have gloves on, so I am feeling quite comfortable and confident that it is safe and sound on my hand. It was warmer outside than I thought it was going to be, and my hands were getting hot, so I decide to take off my gloves. I put the ring in my coat pocket. I also put my keys in the same pocket. It is about now some of you are feeling naseaus on my behalf, because you can already see the end to this sad tale. I finish the hunt. Go to the car. Pull my keys out. Get in and leave. Remember the ring....put my hand in the coat pocket.......NO RING! ARRGGGGGGGGG! I thought I was going to hurl! I retraced my steps. I re-dug holes I had previously dug. I was in tears. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

God is merciful. After I had accepted that the ring was lost forever.....I found it when I got to work and opened the car door. It was beside the seat. When I pulled out my keys, the ring must have come with them. It could have ended much differently.

I don't think I will ever feel quite the same way when I find a ring. I will be happy and feel blessed as usual that I found it. But I think I will also wonder how that person probably felt. I make it a practice to return rings that have names in them. I have returned 2 this year. It is an awesome feeling to see the joy in the face of someone who has had a item of sentimental value returned.

I learned a valuable lesson today. Have any of you ever lost something like this or what was your MD lesson learned? I would like to NOT make any other rookie mistakes like the one above.

Attachments

• treasurenet 003.jpg
    treasurenet 003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 538
  • treasurenet 003.jpg
    treasurenet 003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Never hunt with Jewelry on! $@&*!

Iskuli, congrats on "re-finding" your ring ! I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago. It wasn't a ring but it was my favorite probe that I lost. :'( I was detecting in an open field which had fairly tall grass. I laid the probe down to dig a target and then went on moving about the field detecting. Then I realized that my probe was missing and tried to re-trace my steps, but never did find my probe. I had gotten it back in 1989 when I bought my first Garretts detector. I have been back to that field several times to look for it but never found it. It was brass and had a big brass grip. I still don't understand how I could have lost something that big and bright. :-[ Oh well, maybe some future generation treasure hunter will find it and wonder how it got there !

Huntin' 59er

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher

I lost my wedding band while detecting on the beach. Took it off my finger, put it in my pocket, never saw it again. Now I leave rings home.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

one word carabiner

Attachments

• POSORN.jpg
    POSORN.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 403

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II

Isn't all this ironic. Yesterday I found a gold chain. I drove to a restaurant to meet someone for lunch. I grabbed the plastic bag it was in and found our table. When I presented the bag to my companion to show my hunting prowess it was empty!!!
I quickly went back outside and found it in the parking lot.

I've also lost 2 LARGE flat screwdrivers while MDing. Perhaps all the stuff we find has been lost by detectorists!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

:D Always keep stuff safe! ;D
I've never lost anything wile MD'ing :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My lesson learned was pulling out my detector from a flat stationwagon bed with the headphones still plugged into the unit. CRUNCH! They slid out and landed on the tiny toggle switch, snapping the lever completely off. >:(

DetectorPro fixed them free (I had to pay to ship them there and lost time while waiting - they were in & out of the shop in two days). Lesson learned - hook the headphones to the handle or unplug them entirely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread