Another New Detector Post

R

RevSpongeBobSP

I am looking at buying my very first detector from kellyco.com and was looking at the Titan 3000-XD and the Whites Classic 5ID.

I live in Central Michigan and want to use it for playgrounds, the occasional beach run and general hunting for lost and forgotten treasures around old homesteads.

Any suggestions or comments on these two detectors, or should I be looking at something else in this price range of $379? It comes with digging tools and a whole lot of other items including a second coil, some books and other items.

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good move. I have had the 250 for a few weeks and love it. You said you purchased the 250 Pro with the larger coil? Should have been around $297. Add the Sniper coil for $65 (shipping included) and you have a great setup, and you're still under what the Titan would have cost.

One thing I noticed about the Titan/BH brand, is that the coil looks cheap and plasticy. My Garrett coil looks like you could accidentally step on it and it would survive.

Once you receive the 250, you may want to go here and read Dahut's excellent post about using the Ace 250.

Dan

OP
OP
R

RevSpongeBobSP

Just read about half of it, man, very long and detailed post, very good info. Cool that you took the time to type that all out for everyones benefit.

Got a tracking number today on the order, WOOHOO!!!!!! In a couple months I will look at the smaller coil.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool that you took the time to type that all out for everyones benefit.
Let me be honest. I can only take part of the credit for the Ace Compendium.
My part was to gather things that others had posted here and there about the Ace. For instance, that Bill Revis guy mentioned in it is THE Bill Revis, expert and author of more than 600 articles on the subject of MD'ing, with a book to come. He's one of the forum participants at the findmall Garrett board.
I then just compiled the things I'd gatehrerd - copy and paste!

But it should be helpful to the newcomer especially. Hope it helps you.

Peace,
David

OP
OP
R

RevSpongeBobSP

I wish it were Friday, man, UPS moved quick getting it here in a few days, but when waiting for a present, it is never fast enough!!!!

Tomorrow is the day, I am going into work 2 hours early so I can leave early and meet the UPS guy when he gets here. May not be able to dig, but at least I can get the batteries in it and find a couple forks in the front yard before dark!!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will admit, Paul, that it is good for pulltabs. It's the one frustration I am trying to work around. A perfect penny sound and ID gets a pull tab almost every time. A twelve section notch doesn't give the finer discrimination that the higher end 1350 does, or a VDI. I am looking to buy a VDI type unit to try and distinguish trash a little better. The Garrett 1350 gives a 24 segment display plus a profile. This helps with cans, but not pull tabs. The Titan XD 3000 has 11 segments but includes a 0-199 display to help break the signal down further. The Whites Matrix M6 uses a numerical display and icons for ID. The Minelab Xterra 50 uses numerical and segments. I am leaning toward the M6 because it has the 6 tone option. Though the Titan seems like a good machine, I feel a little like I'm getting ripped off by the fact that you can buy the Discovery 3300 for half the price and it's the same detector.

My wife has taken over the Ace, though.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Phantasman, the 250 picks up those pulltabs when the notch between penny and dime is not eliminated/disc'd. I'm not sure about older coins, but the only modern coins you'd miss out would be the newest of pennies.......and of course a whole bunch of pull tabs and caps. I figured that one out after a few trips out with the 250.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Ricardo. I will try that. :)

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Phantasman , I agree the 3300 + the titan are the same as far as I can tell . The warranty is the only reason I would consider the Titan . I beleive I would also prefer the M6 . Considered one myself . HH

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phantasman, the 250 picks up those pulltabs when the notch between penny and dime is not eliminated/disc'd. I'm not sure about older coins, but the only modern coins you'd miss out would be the newest of pennies.......and of course a whole bunch of pull tabs and caps. I figured that one out after a few trips out with the 250.

Hey Dan, just for the record, I dug a pretty little ring the other day that hit dead on the segment at penny - the same one you guys are talking about eliminating.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
A beep and dig detector is perfect for for someone starting out. It gets them to learn the discrimination settings and forces them to learn what good from bad signals sound like without the VID screen trying to convince you what you need to dig. I started with a Tejon, switched to a DeLeon, and am now back with the Tejon again. I thought that VID screen was a must have, but it really was more of an annoyance than any help to me.

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
I have the 3000XD. So far it has been a great detector for me. Price wise, buying the Discovery 3300 would be a better bet for the money as it is the twin to the 3000XD. I don't know much about the Ace 250, however, if I had not bought a detector already, and after reading a lot of replies as to what you should get for your first detector, the Ace would be the way to go. Lots of Luck, get that detector and go find that "POT of GOLD"!!!

Beerbarrel

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i was going to sugest the new fisher F4 built of the titan 300 or discovery 3300 design with many inprovements and 2 coils one beeing the awsome DD, good luck with the ace, many happy users out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread